The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 128

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    My Campellone Special has a built in KA pu 17x3 25 inch scale. It is a acoustic cannon. Amplified it has a very warm clear tone slightly more acoustic than a L5 but not overly bright. It has a real nice clarity that my L5’s do not. It is kind of like comparing 2 L5’s. One with brand new strings and the other with very old strings. Basically L5 tone with more definition. To me it is like a L5 and a Golden Eagle mated and gave birth and the baby was this Campellone. The Campellone I have is simply outstanding in all departments. Really happy with it. Flawless build too.
    Vinny,
    I knew you would bond perfectly with one of Marks guitars. He retains that classic Gibson styling with awesome acoustic properties and a flawless build quality. Can’t wait to see your next Campellone build.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Vinny,
    I knew you would bond perfectly with one of Marks guitars. He retains that classic Gibson styling with awesome acoustic properties and a flawless build quality. Can’t wait to see your next Campellone build.
    Steve you were spot on. It sounds like a 60’s L5. Every time I play it, it sounds better. It isn’t even a year old yet either. Campellones are great guitars. Very light but still feels solid. Perfect top thickness. That is so important for my type of tone. Dark, thick, but lively too. Clear but not bright. Perfect archtop tone IMO.

User Info Menu

Glad that Campellone is working out for you

I have had round wounds on my Campellone acoustic since I got it ...

Revisiting this thread reminds me that it's time to give some flatwounds a try on mine

User Info Menu

Music Emporium apparently has two 16" Campellones, one of which is listed for $4,200 as a used 2017, 16" Standard w/ 24 3/4" scale & 3" rims. Mark can be reached directly at:
    http://www.mcampellone.com
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Guitars-campellone7-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone2-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone10-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone0-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-06-2020 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

There's a 5-year-old 16" blonde Campellone Standard for private sale on facebook by a fellow named John Romano, in New York City , here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/archtopguitar/

Just scroll down...

Campellone 16” standard series with upgraded tone wood, 1-11/16th nut, with floating Kent Armstrong pickup. Features: Venetian cutaway body with hand graduated solid spruce top, hand graduated back figured maple with matching solid maple rims, edge bound top, back, fingerboard and peghead, and rosewood pickguard, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with side dot position markers, rosewood bridge with full contact base, gold plated brass tailpiece with rosewood, gold Grover Super Rotomatic tuners with upgraded tortoise buttons, floating pickup with pickguard mounted thumbwheel volume control, and Cedar Creek #CC721 plush lined hard-shell case . Asking $4500.

Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Guitars-84511132_10216080605428747_3970694726826328064_o-jpg Campellone Guitars-84356606_10216080604308719_3097960151122968576_o-jpg 

That back is crazy beautiful !

User Info Menu

So our temperature finally got close enough to that at Mark's location, so we shipped it next day and missed our next storm. If it helps anyone else, the difference between FedEx Second day and Overnight isn't that much, so I'd sure consider it. ( at least Conus anyway )....
    It was packed really well and thankfully there were no surprises. Per Mark's instructions, I just left it boxed for 2+ hours and it was ok.
    After I did the bridge placement, I tuned it up and played it a little.....I was / am really curious to see how it compares to my now-gone but still missed L-5 R/I and then my WesMo and 2 acoustic L-7's. I will try to do a demo but not sure.
    And keep in mind this was designed and is acoustic only, as are my others ( except the WesMo ) and strung with Elixirs, but this one's 16 inches.
    So far the sustain is surprising. From top to bottom and so far in any position, there's no dead spots. As far as volume, from what I can tell, it'll stay with these others. The feel, frets, f/b is classic L-5, but I really think you can get after one of his guitars with single note playing and make yourself heard. Like I said so far the sustain gets your attention.
    And then there's the look. Glad he decided to build it and sure glad I went ahead with it.
    Hope this helps.
    And thanks to those here who were kind enough to answer my questions throughout this - -including of course Mark C.
    The Campellone's on the left.
    Dennis

Campellone Guitars-2-25-005-768x1024-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, that looks incredible. Very pleased for you, Dennis. Have fun together!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Wow, that looks incredible. Very pleased for you, Dennis. Have fun together!
    Thanks Rob - - I remembered you wanted a demo, so I'll try. ( but I sure want to do one with no mistakes ) It's making me think of Jonathan Stout's descriptions of those '30's L-5's.......I may never get those out of my head.

Dennis

User Info Menu

That's some world-class woodwork! Those inlays are sweet. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Another Mr.C masterpiece. Congrats Dennis. Waiting for it to get warm enough to ship must have been a nail biter. Good things come to those who wait. Do enjoy Sir.

User Info Menu

nice! how does it sound compared to the orig Gibson?
    very different I'd imagine.

User Info Menu

Beautiful, congratulations.
    By playing Campellone guitar and hearing them on youtube, i have been amazed too by how good sustain is on his guitars, even with an ebony bridge.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nice! how does it sound compared to the orig Gibson?
    very different I'd imagine.
    The original has a rosewood f/b and bridge, is 17 in., but is x-braced.....
    This one has an ebony fb and bridge, and has parallel bracing. ( see photo ). Campellone Guitars-img_9569_1-jpg
    The depth of bass response is understandably less but there's not a lot of volume loss. I like to dig in at times with single notes and it'll ' stay with you' if that makes sense. If this were seventeen inches, I'd be surprised (' shocked ' ? ) if it didn't blow away both my '52 L-7 and maybe the '37. Right now it seems to hold its' own with them at 16 inches.
    I think it'll get even more interesting when it opens up some more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    That's some world-class woodwork! Those inlays are sweet. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    I knew I had the right idea once I saw Mark add it to his gallery.

Thanks !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Another Mr.C masterpiece. Congrats Dennis. Waiting for it to get warm enough to ship must have been a nail biter. Good things come to those who wait. Do enjoy Sir.
    Thanks Vinny.
    Now I remember how Mark made me measure the depth of my '37 fb & neck. I had to get my neighbor the engineer over with his calipers. That'll be Mark's and my inside joke - -I'm guessing Mark had an idea but ok we sent them to him anyway. And of course he nailed it !

Good luck with yours.
    Last edited by Dennis D; 02-26-2020 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Dennis.
    What a beauty. I am anxious to hear your opinion of the Campy vs the Benchmark.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience with us.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Congratulations Dennis.
    What a beauty. I am anxious to hear your opinion of the Campy vs the Benchmark.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience with us.
    Joe D
    Thanks Joe.
    As far as a comparison between the '36 L-7 and the Camp., I knew I would want to do that, so I put Elixir 12's on both my L-7's. Both are full acoustics w/no p/u's, but the L-7's are 17's and the Camp is 16, also strung w/ Elixir 12's.
    So far, the Camp.'s volume is a surprise. It'll stay with the '36 for single notes without even playing it hard, which I like to do at times. The '36 is smoother and fuller and has that bottom. I'll never not like that sound - -and probably always like that '36 sound best of all my guitars !
    If this Camp.opens up and mellows even a little, my next experiment will be flats ! I know......But, my reasoning is that yes, while flats may mellow it a little, with the volume it has, it may very well help it sound fuller. We'll see ! I did learn that my larger guitars can indeed hide more of the round wound string noise, but maybe at 16 in., a smaller guitar can't hide that noise as well.
    Hope that helps Joe and as always thanks and take care.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis D; 02-27-2020 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

That is great information.
    Only Mark will really know if the Campellone will open up and to what extent..
    He makes them with such great precision, that it seems they come to you with a responsiveness and accuracy of sound that I personally would never want to hear go away or mellow.
    Flats will help. Thomastiks will get thumpy in a about a week of spirited playing whereas Chromes will stay bright for a while. I just like the way Tommys make any guitar "feel". Thomastik Jazz Swing 13's on Mikey's Standard are absolutely the perfect string for that guitar and my light touch.
    I personally think if Johnny Smith was still alive, he would LOVE Campellone guitars. They follow every principle he ever expected out of a guitar. And electric guitar that was equally as spectacular unplugged. Accuracy, playability, consistency, powerful tone and built like panzer tank. Fast, solid, light and nimble. Johnny would finally have had the signature model that consistantly met and even exceeded his expectations.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us Dennis. Awesome.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks Joe.
    As far as a comparison between the '36 L-7 and the Camp., I knew I would want to do that, so I put Elixir 12's on both my L-7's. Both are full acoustics w/no p/u's, but the L-7's are 17's and the Camp is 16, also strung w/ Elixir 12's.
    So far, the Camp.'s volume is a surprise. It'll stay with the '36 for single notes without even playing it hard, which I like to do at times. The '36 is smoother and fuller and has that bottom. I'll never not like that sound - -and probably always like that '36 sound best of all my guitars !
    If this Camp.opens up and mellows even a little, my next experiment will be flats ! I know......But, my reasoning is that yes, while flats may mellow it a little, with the volume it has, it may very well help it sound fuller. We'll see ! I did learn that my larger guitars can indeed hide more of the round wound string noise, but maybe at 16 in., a smaller guitar can't hide that noise as well.
    Hope that helps Joe and as always thanks and take care.
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Congratulations again. I have a "Special" Mark built for me 14 years ago. It is his 332nd guitar. The year before, my L-5C was in the shop for refretting. The luthier was a pro vocalist and showed me his two babies: a Montellone and a Campellone. Both played circles around the L-5 and I was on the horn with Mark that day.

It took a year before 322 was ready. I drove to Mark's shop to pick it up. What a treat to meet Mark and take delivery.

Mark and I have been talking for over a year and I have a "Cameo" on order. It will be in his next build. Same specs as 322: 17", 25.5" scale, 3" rims, 1 11/16" nut. The maple will be quilted this time rather than flamed and the finish antique natural.

Have a blast with your Campy.

...and 322 will stay with me.

User Info Menu

After reading many opinions here about Marks' instruments, let me tell you what Mark has told me. First, I've been a Campellone junky for many years. I bought his short lived 17" plywood "Wes" style archtop back in 1991. Since then, I've purchased a couple deluxe models. I currently own a special & will most likely get another. Mark has told me on several occasions he strives to make the best L-5 possible. He is also known within boutique builder circles as "Mr. L-5" and "the best Gibson L-5 builder in the modern era and that's including Gibson". He's pretty much nailed, & taken a volute 70's/80's L-5 to it's maximum potential. Mark's not only an artist at the top of his game, he is a genuine gem of a man. For the quality, his prices are also the most competitive of any builder.
    Mark's guitars will one day be like D'Angelico's instruments. When he passes, if you own one, it will be part of your retirement portfolio.
    Don Nielsen
    Last edited by 17571; 05-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Agree 100% !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17571
    After reading many opinions here about Marks' instruments, let me tell you what Mark has told me. First, I've been a Campellone junky for many years. I bought his short lived 17" plywood "Wes" style archtop back in 1991. Since then, I've purchased a couple deluxe models. I currently own a special & will most likely get another. Mark has told me on several occasions he strives to make the best L-5 possible. He is also known within boutique builder circles as "Mr. L-5" and "the best Gibson L-5 builder in the modern era and that's including Gibson". He's pretty much nailed, & taken a volute 70's/80's L-5 to it's maximum potential. Mark's not only an artist at the top of his game, he is a genuine gem of a man. For the quality, his prices are also the most competitive of any builder.
    Mark's guitars will one day be like D'Angelico's instruments. When he passes, if you own one, it will be part of your retirement portfolio.
    Don Nielsen
    Yup !! ( Ask me how I know !! )

Campellone Guitars-gtr-compl-jpg

User Info Menu

I bought the Amber burst Special Joe Vinikow had listed a couple weeks ago & haven't put it down since it arrived. While browsing A couple days ago I found a Standard Campellone that had just listed a few hours earlier on REVERB.COM. It's a 2017 blonde with a 4A quilted maple wood package upgrade. It's a 16" with a 1 3/4" nut & a 24 3/4" scale. It's has a small bit of grazing on the treble side of the neck just above the cutaway, otherwise is in mint condition. I made what I felt was a low offer (without getting into insult territory), the seller, a man from Galloway N.J. who needed cash to build a deck let her go for $2900.00+85 shipping. At that price I couldn't turn her down. I spoke with Mark after the purchase, He stated one like it sells for $5550. Once she arrives, I'll post a couple pics.
    Don Nielsen
    Last edited by 17571; 05-17-2020 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17571
    I bought the Amber burst Special Joe Vinikow had listed a couple weeks ago
    Really! Well let's see it!