The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I noticed after purchasing--and not too late to back out of the purchase--that this Ibanez 2460 has Grovers, and not the original tuners. Would anyone else be bothered by this? Yes, it's an imitation instrument, but something to be said about an imitation's details, and Grovers are not original. Thank you,

Tom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if it’s a clesn guitar and plays well get over it
    The Velve tuners Were nice but did fail on many guitars
    i have an incoming GB-20nt and it’s got shiny Grovrs on it.
    the originals are included but I’m in no rush to install them back on the guitar or sell them

its this whole original versus fully functional argument people get their panties in a wad over
    perdonsl preferrnce I guess

you might be able to get replacement Velve tuners at a Guitar Center or authorized Ibanez dealer. Look up the part number for GB-10 replacements on the Ibanez website and they can order direct from Ibanez

but worth returning s perfectly good guitar over, I think not

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    if it’s a clesn guitar and plays well get over it
    The Velve tuners Were nice but did fail on many guitars
    i have an incoming GB-20nt and it’s got shiny Grovrs on it.
    the originals are included but I’m in no rush to install them back on the guitar or sell them

its this whole original versus fully functional argument people get their panties in a wad over
    perdonsl preferrnce I guess

you might be able to get replacement Velve tuners at a Guitar Center or authorized Ibanez dealer. Look up the part number for GB-10 replacements on the Ibanez website and they can order direct from Ibanez

but worth returning s perfectly good guitar over, I think not
    You are right on that one. Good to hear this. Thank you! It's on the way.

User Info Menu

I see no reason to avoid a guitar because it has an upgrade. The only people who care about original everything are collectors, and I'm not a collector. Nor do I think anyone is likely to collect those guitars. Be happy if it plays well and stays in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Deaf Tony
    If you were attracted to the instrument because you thought it was original, and it wasn't, don't get this one. The fact that you asked, meant it meant something to you. If, of all the guitars out there, you were charmed by this one as a time capsule vintage instrument, well...it's not anymore. You can find one that is.
    It's like if you had a list of criteria that you had, a list unto yourself, of qualities that made a good companion, and you found out early on, that this person had a voice that you knew would grate on you and drive you crazy eventually, that's your issue. Nobody else can tell you what you need or what you should overlook. It's going to be your guitar. If you want it in your collection, to be proud of and to embody a perfect (for you) example of your ideal, then get that. They're out there.
    If you're going to get it as a player, then get it and play. Or get one that doesn't have "vintage" issues and problems that arise from an older instrument, and play. Or don't really care what anyone else thinks, but get a player guitar, and play.
    Grovers will work. But they're not the design that the builders intended when it was built. They are not of the original spirit or they would have been put there to begin with.
    Thoughtful answer. Thank you! That is precisely the point. I was good with it, mostly, until seller learned that pickups were also switched out some time ago for Gibson PAFs. Enough said. Back to the search. Thanks again for your note.

User Info Menu

Ibanez 2460's came with their 'Star Tuners' back in '77. They were OK tuners, but in my view Grovers are far superior. Some Ibanez collectors might want the originals, but otherwise, I'd look at the Grovers as an upgrade. Like Big Mike said, some folks unecessarilly obsess over originality, when functionality should reign.

Enjoy your 2460. They're cool guitars from a time when Ibanez was making very high quality versions of Gibson and other makers.
    Here's an old catalogue image.

User Info Menu

You rejected the guitar because the pickups had been upgraded, by a lot? Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You rejected the guitar because the pickups had been upgraded, by a lot? Oh well...
    Yes. Guitar script read "all original hardware." This wasn't true. Why would I spend $2000 on a vintage model that was marketed as something that actually wasn't. The price went down. Maybe you should buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Deaf Tony
    One step less than buying it, selling off the parts and buying a complete vintage. It's what I call efficiency. The PAF's are an indication that some owner saw this as his verson of the L-5 and spent the life of the guitar trying to get there without the money to get a solid topped Gibson L-5 of his dreams. You can get a compromise, spend your time moving towards your dream, or go for exactly what you want from the start. If you want a 2460, you can get a 2460
    Tone Deaf Tony, Thanks again for your insight. it might be time to take on a little debt--I don't have any at the moment-and opt for a real one.

User Info Menu

Here’s the backside of my new guitar, I do have the option of putting the old tarnished Velve tuners Back on but I’m going to leave it as is. Function over originalality. I know about ordering those Velve tuners first hand as the low E tuner died on my ‘81 GB10 at a gig, I simply removed the string and kept going ala Keith Richards old tele. Don’t want to install the originals only to discover they don’t hold proper tune.

if the ad clearly stated it had replaced pickups and tuners why return it ?? They’re great guitars, Classic 57s and new Grovers soundbox to me,

it’s all about your personal preference.

Grover Tuners on Ibanez 2460, '77-b6aeb66a-4cf8-457c-8ba9-748a43d3e5f8-jpg

The ad did not reveal the modifications until after I purchased it and asked about the Grovers, and hours later the pickup change was mentioned. I cancelled the sale before today, before it was shipped.

User Info Menu

My thought on those Ibanez guitars is that they have to be purchased when sold as "Jazz Guitar" or something like that. Any mention of "L5"or hypothetical legal action usually indicates something overpriced.

Hi, almost bought another 2460 tonight but noticed the original star tuners had been replaced with Schaller's even new holes were drilled! Very sad. I went to the Grover website but did not see any tuning machines that had a 2 screw upper and lower mounting system. Thanks for your help!