The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Hey, it's amazing how turning the volume pot way down cleans up the sound! As a previous electric guitarist I was used to having all my controls on ten (!). This makes way more sense.
    I am digging the guitar strap. I made a cord loop at the top end so I can loop it over the peghead. It stays out of the way of my fretting hand, and is easy to remove when I don't need it.
    I am going to experiment with heavier string tension. I'd like a little more 'meat' on my 1st and 2nd strings. I may try those TI .12's that everyone raves about (in spite of the price).
    Thanks again for all your suggestions. I am absolutely in love with this guitar and am finding it hard to put down. As a classical guitarist/mandolinist, I find I can easily switch back and forth between fingerstyle and pick. Both styles have their advantage. But I like fingerstyle when I want to have a simultaneous bass line going on with the melody. In case anyone's interested, here are the tunes that I'm currently woodshedding:
    Angel Eyes Cm
    At Last Bb
    Blue Bossa Cm
    Bossa Dorado Dm (Schmitt)
    Corcovado Am (Jobim)
    Crazy C (W. Nelson)
    Darn that Dream G Heusen
    Days of Wine and Roses F (Mancini)
    Desafinado F (Jobim)
    Dindi Eb (Jobim)
    God Bless the Child Eb (Billie Holiday)
    It Don’t Mean a Thing Gm (Ellington)
    Like Someone in Love C (Heusen)
    Misty Eb (Garner)
    Moonlight in Vermont Eb
    My One and Only Love C
    On the Street where You Live Bb
    One Note Samba - Bb (Jobim)
    Satin Doll C (Ellington)
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow C (Arlen)
    Souline D (Ferret)
    Snow Turning to Rain C. (Davis)
    Softly as a Morning Sunrise (Cm
    Valse Chinois Em (valse musette)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TI's are great for many guitars.
    I also like to swap out a 12 & 16 top string (heavier) while keeping the bottom end lighter.
    BTW I like that on flat tops too.

User Info Menu

Turning down the pole-pieces on the bass-side of the pickup keeps my ES-125 from feedbacking, give it a try. It's just a few turns with a screwdriver (I used the end of a teaspoon while performing in a bar ;-).

Congratz with the purchase! Enjoy it! An ES-125 is all the guitar you need, even if you play more than jazz!
    (Although I like my ES-335 for those other gigs).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I also like to swap out a 12 & 16 top string (heavier) while keeping the bottom end lighter.
    -thats a good idea. The lighter bass strings sound clearer and less boomy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Turning down the pole-pieces on the bass-side of the pickup keeps my ES-125 from feedbacking, give it a try.
    -thanks for the tip, Little Jay. I’ve got my bass-side pole pieces bottomed out now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    TI's are great for many guitars.
    BTW I like that on flat tops too.
    I always say, if they made a "Jeff Matz" signature string set, it'd be heavy top light bottom. Which was my nickname in high school.

User Info Menu

For an original case contact Joe at Archtop.com. He occasionally has old cases, and can certainly advise on suitable alternatives.

User Info Menu

Congrats! It should be a great guitar. Am I the only one who uses TI Swing 13’s on the 125? Years ago I tried it all and settled on those on this guitar. I have other archtops with12’s and 11’s, but here I prefer 13.

And, definitely set the volume low when playing jazz. I often have it as low as 3-4 and love that sound. 9-10 is for that wild blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I always say, if they made a "Jeff Matz" signature string set, it'd be heavy top light bottom. Which was my nickname in high school.
    Could have been worse! Imagine the person whose signature set is 5 Pre-Dulled Ultra-Rounds (1 string symbolically missing)

User Info Menu

You could also try nickel bronze strings. The bottom strings conduct a bit but not as much as steels, producing a natural bass roll off

User Info Menu

I normally use Thomastik 12's, but I get too much bass for my liking even with lowered pickup and amp bass on 1.
    So I ordered D'addiario Chrome 10's. Nice thing is, the B string is 14 in that set. I use 14 and 16-7 for high E and B. So I can use the B string for high E an just need to get a 16 (or 17). I'm hoping that would improve the bass situation.
    Although with P90's that might not be an issue.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 02-27-2020 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonni
    ....... Am I the only one who uses TI Swing 13’s on the 125? ...........
    I've got a '49 ES-150 and TI 13s are my go-to on that guitar. I suppose that could be related to the longer scale length, but TI 12s were definitely a distant second-place when I tried them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

John