The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Nonsense .. The proper question is: Do I need an L5 to supplement my great Ibanez?
    Well, the one big mistake was to start discussing the matter with my wife. ;-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I usually suffer with this issue with almost everything I buy. But it usually only lasts a couple of days. However, at this very moment I'm suffering with anxiety over placing my order for a M. Campellone guitar. I was planning to start teaching privately again when I was planning my finances for the purchase. Now I don't know when I'll be teaching, and I care for my 86 year old Mom so that makes having students coming to my home a little risky. I have the money and I can afford it. It's just that the little voices keeps saying, if you buy it now, the roof will blow off the house, and the furnace will fail etc. I know it's not true but it gives me anxiety. So I'll probably wait until September to place my order.

User Info Menu

Yeah when I bought my 5th Gibson ES-175 about 5 weeks ago, I knew it would be a great box and neck even though it had the PAF's harvested. It turned out to sound so great and play like a dream because it is a genuine 1959. I keep checking the reverb setting on my amp because it has a natural reverb. I had it a couple of weeks and for shits and giggles, I was surfing the internet looking at comparables to assure my GAS that I made the right deal. I was drinking Vodka and Tonics and on a whim I gave some guy a totally lowball offer on a 1957 with replacement PAF's (Throwback) - like 15% off when it was already priced for a quick sale. The next morning I was surprised that he accepted my offer. The GAS set in, and as a gentleman I didn't back down from the deal knowing that I could always return it. The 1957 guitar arrived and once again I was totally blown away. Now I have 6 and I would never be able to choose which one to sell first so I just have to keep them all. God I love ES-175's.

1956 with P90
    1956 with Dan Armstrong and Van Eps damper (Tommy Tedesco's)
    1957 blonde with single original PAF
    1957 two pu (Throwbak)
    1959 two pu (unknown PAF type)
    1964 single PU pat. pending and PU moved to end of 25 1/2" fretboard (Billy Bean's)
    Does NGD cause anxiety for anyone else?-fullsizeoutput_1133-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 05-26-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Add picture

User Info Menu

Hi ,
    Firstly you can never have too many guitars and anyone that thinks otherwise is not a well person and there is probably drugs and ointment to fix that.

Secondly Every guitar seems to be different and has a different feel and the playability on each is different and fat fingers (like mine) can be trained with practice to do the right things so it is just a matter of go for it.

Thirdly If it brings you joy buy it!!!! Life is too short for "Should I or shouldn't I" You live once enjoy the ride.

I have 15 guitars some top of the line some trashed and done up with one yet to arrive.(compulsory savings plan sort of) All bring me immense enjoyment. You find one will fit the mood of the day and it selects you to play it. There are 365 days in the year so best be prepared me thinks.

I don't play that well but who cares it's the enjoment that it brings to you that counts. So hell go for it. !!!!

Cheers
    Glenn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers
    New Gear Day should be exciting and awesome, but for me the excitement seems to give way to anxiety sometimes. I find myself wondering if I made the right choice. Is this the right one, or should I have got the other one I was considering? Could I have got a better deal? Should I have gotten a new guitar at all? Do I already have to many? So and so forth.

Does anyone else ever feel this way or is there something wrong with me?

Never experienced it myself.

I do think the interwebz is amplifying this whole NGD thing x 1000. So many choices, so much information, so many opinions...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers
    New Gear Day should be exciting and awesome, but for me the excitement seems to give way to anxiety sometimes. I find myself wondering if I made the right choice. Is this the right one, or should I have got the other one I was considering? Could I have got a better deal? Should I have gotten a new guitar at all? Do I already have to many? So and so forth.

Does anyone else ever feel this way or is there something wrong with me?
    The higher the price of the guitar, in relation to the personal economic situation (and ones own perception of the situation), the more stress it is likely to cause

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ngd should always be a joy!..it's the ones that got away that cause me the anxiety...remember once seeing a pristine natural gibson 330 in a 48th st manhattan (music row) shop on a friday evening..just as they were closing...300$...even then, that was a huge/great deal!

went back first thing saturday morn...and it was gone!!! sold!! somebody must have been sleeping in the doorway!! haha

saw so many great guitars i wish i bought..strombergs galore, every type of gibson, brooklyn gretsch, etc etc

that haunts me!!..ngd?..that's just a slightly guilty conscience..hah...just gets lost with all the others!! haha

just congrats & enjoy..and treat it well

cheers
    A 330 for $300? Not exactly surprised it was gone the next day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I feel worse about the 1954 L-5 for 5,000 that I waited too long to pull trigger on. Sat around for a few months. So try to remember how bad you might feel if you waited and it was gone. Unless you severely overpay, any potential mistakes can be sold without losing much or any dough.
    There ws a 92 Gibson L4CES on my local CL in natural finish until 2 days ago. I resisted and resisted and then poof it's gone. Don't know if I should be relieved or regretful. I do have too many guitars in general and too little time to play them or apply myself but man.. that was the hardest one I have had to fight the urge to go after in recent memory.

And if I did grab it I would have had buyers remorse for sure.

User Info Menu

All of the above. How about trying to sleep the night before delivery, then when you get up and check the tracking for time, the delivery date has been delayed! Aaaarrrgghhh! Same anxiety all over again like "Groundhog Day!"

UPS Shipping/Tracking/Timing, WTF?