The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

I find anxiety and fear that's caused by excessive gear acquisition passes pretty quickly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought two lemons from eBay back to back. Fought tooth and nail to get refunds [which I did], and now I only buy if I can put my hands on the guitar before I hand over the money. I'm not scared to buy online or anything like that, but I'm only really interested in Telecasters at this point and enough interesting examples pop up routinely enough that I don't stress on missing out on mail order deals.

EDIT: I feel like I didn't actually answer the question. I don't get anxiety about NGD, but I def. feel a wave of anguish when I realize I'm not getting on with a guitar. I think I'm finally dialing my tastes in though, so these days shouldn't be as frequent going forward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    No I'm the other way around .. Anxiety often lead to NGD's. If I'm stressed at work and in daily life ... suddenly new guitars appear in my home.
    My wife calls this "retail therapy". I need therapy once in a while to keep my head on my shoulders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    I grew up with very little money and I still feel like I don't 'deserve' a new guitar because I already have enough. It sounds weird maybe, but to me, it's really an issue.
    I actually feel this pretty hard. Mind you I only have 3 guitars currently, but in the last year I've purchased a total of 4 and I gave one away. I think the one I gave away was more so because I had 2 at the time and I felt like I didn't deserve to have to because there are so many people who only have one or don't have one at all and just have to borrow. I'VE BEEN in a position where I could only afford one and I could barely afford that one. My parents couldn't give me nice things when I was growing up so I feel like I have overindulged. I'm actually going to have to sell one of my guitars now because I can't in my right mind keep all of these guitars. I mean I shouldn't, right? I can't play them all at once. Maybe I should keep them around and ask others to come join me more often so I can share the love. Grrrrr. Anyways, sorry for the rant. Point is, I'm thankful that I can have what I have now. But I need to slow it down.

User Info Menu

You're completely normal, my friend. All of us who have acute GAS have experienced what you've described. Collecting guitars, as many of us do, is an art and not a science. And if you do purchase something you later regret, it can always be passed on to another buyer who is looking for a guitar like yours. Enjoy your passion. Life's short and we are not guaranteed a tomorrow

User Info Menu

Only if it's an as is sale and no chance of return, but those are rare.
    However, frequently those purchases for me are typically only made if I feel I can recoup my $ regardless of a possible issue.

User Info Menu

Yes, but less so than in the past. Now I am more OK with acquiring a guitar and trying it for a while to see if it works for me.

User Info Menu

It is best to buy nothing.

User Info Menu

My problem is more about deciding whether or not to sell rather than deciding “should I buy?”.
    I can play the same guitar on different occasions, and feel very differently about it, depending on my mood and what I’m playing.
    Go figure

User Info Menu

Anxiety? No. Guilt? Yes. I used to buy and sell quite freely up until about 2012, taking full benefit from my son's employee discount at a major music store. He then returned to the university to finish his studies. At the same time, Thomann caused everybody to squeeze their margins, so loyal customers' discounts typically shrank from 30% to 5%. You could no longer sell a used guitar, however new, at a profit. The guilty feeling shifted from exploiting an opportunity not available to everybody to burning family money. Luckily, my wife has a lot of NSD's (new shoes day), and after 50 years of marriage (our Golden Anniversary is actually today) we have an understanding towards each other's weaknesses. I still occasionally buy a new guitar under the pretext of needing it as a test instrument for my speaker cabs, or to lure myself to practice more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    after 50 years of marriage (our Golden Anniversary is actually today). . . .
    Winner winner winner!

User Info Menu

Keep buying guitars. Eventually, you'll feel less and less pain.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

I often put off using a new piece of gear for fear of being disappointed or incompetent. I ordered my first Looper on 17 January and it arrived in a couple days. I opened the box, it looked fine (-undamaged), closed the box and have yet to try it out. That's nearly 4 months ago and I STILL haven't used it. Once. One of these days...

Neurtotic and anxious----that's my wheelhouse! ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Keep buying guitars. Eventually, you'll feel less and less pain.

Tony D.
    As well as having less and less space in your home! It's not the gits, it's the empty cases :-)

User Info Menu

I too bought a looper: my only pedal. I used it for a week and then became afraid that it was damaging the speaker of my amp. I realise this fear is irrational, but anxiety is my thing.

User Info Menu

I've read admonishments to those charging too little, depressing the performance market making it more difficult for others to earn a living. I have not read any toward those collecting guitars, driving up the guitar market, making it more difficult for others to afford one, worse in a performance market already depressed by those who don't charge enough, and even worse yet with the present collapse of venue performance and audience crowds...

Maybe NGD anxiety has some element of what used to be called a guilty conscience.

User Info Menu

I expect we will see many of the the guilty men selling their collections, before too long. Someone in my neck of the woods is selling several Custom Shop guitars, a couple of Bogner amps and a Maserati.

User Info Menu

I dont get much of this. You go around once. You want something and you have the means, get it. What is the point of denying yourself if you aren't hurting yourself or family? We all have our neuroses, but maybe step back a bit. I guess folks may go towards one of 2 directions with the world crisis at hand. Either scale back and realize none of this stuff (gear) means much or say "F it....life is too short. I'm getting this (fill in piece of equipment here) and I'm gonna enjoy the shit out of it".

. As far as collectors and the market and those it "hurts", people collect everything....salt and pepper shakers, paintings, spinning tops. I see this complaining in the whiskey market. Collectors/flippers driving up limited/rare whiskeys to the point where most cant find or afford them. So what? There are SO many good whiskies out there under $50 and it seems there are even more great guitars out there for under a $1,000. Nobody is being denied because of a collector. I spoke to a vintage guitar shop owner he stated that many of the guitars that are sought by collectors, special and rare instruments, that the price has gone down because there has never been a time where there are more great inexpensive guitars being produced. Eastman, Peerless, Squire Teles, etc. Some of you list them amongst your favorite guitars even while owning many other much "better" guitars.

User Info Menu

I don’t buy anything I’m not 100% comfortable going for.

For me the real angst is always in the shipping. It wears on me. I always insist the seller take the guitar to FedEx/Kinkos or a UPS Store and have them pack it fully insured for the selling price. It costs a little extra, so what. It’s never failed me, but I still worry, those are my babies coming home.

all our reasons are valid, it’s our unique human nature in full bloom

User Info Menu

I don't enjoy New Gear Day as I fear disappointment. I usually let gear sit in its box awhile before opening it, provided the box looks intact when delivered. There are some boxes I have put away unopened. I am a sick man, I know. Let my beneficiaries sort them out. I just hope they don't sell them pennies on the dollar but that is for them to worry about because it will be THEIR money then. Work for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    I don’t buy anything I’m not 100% comfortable going for.

For me the real angst is always in the shipping.

No kidding, I don't stress about the buying and owning a new guitar or anything else for that matter, I do my homework, but the shipping is a wild card that stresses me out.

User Info Menu

I'm beginning to see the light. Good old mail order America. Kid at Xmas. All those "unboxing" videos. So many NGD objects today are bought without seeing, let alone trying out "that obscure object of desire". I never buy anything over the web without knowing exactly what I'm getting. That rules out guitars, those individuals.

User Info Menu

For me there are some things that can interfere with the joy of getting a new guitar
    1. I already have enough (and also good enough) guitars so when getting a new one – even when I get it as a gift or treat myself with it for working hard – a little voice inside my head tells me: "You don't need it and you don't deserve it either!" Shut up!
    2. In this internet-enhanced world there are so many options – so I can never be sure I made the right choice. There is always another one available that may be even better. So there's always a little bit of doubt left, even if the new guitar sounds and plays like a dream. When I started we went into a shop, maybe two and the choice was what they had and the local classifieds.
    3. The option to return an online purchase. Though it's a good thing in general I feel a pressure to reconsider my decision during the return-time-slot. Up to the point that the new instrument doesn't feel like it's mine already.

For example I just got a wonderful Ibanez GB200 last week. I don't really need it, but I just wanted to try a big archtop. There were other choices on that top quality level: A GB5 for the same price and a Gibson L5 for more than twice the money. I know the GB200 is the best option for me, as it was reasonable priced and it has a poly finish – my body chemistry doesn't mix well with laquer finish in the hot months of summer. It's solidly built from laminate woods so I know it will just work in my band. It sounds great. I know objectively I made the right choice from a player's perspective – and I'm neither old nor rich enough to become a collector – though I tried to convince myself that the L5 would be a good financial investment.
    The return time slot is still open, so still I bother myself with questions like: Did I make the right choice? Shouldn't I at least play the L5 before settling for an Ibanez?
    Each time I play the guitar I know I made a good choice, but at other times I start to reconsider. So I'll better be AFK and enjoy to play it ... ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    For me there are some things that can interfere with the joy of getting a new guitar
    1. I already have enough (and also good enough) guitars so when getting a new one – even when I get it as a gift or treat myself with it for working hard – a little voice inside my head tells me: "You don't need it and you don't deserve it either!" Shut up!
    2. In this internet-enhanced world there are so many options – so I can never be sure I made the right choice. There is always another one available that may be even better. So there's always a little bit of doubt left, even if the new guitar sounds and plays like a dream. When I started we went into a shop, maybe two and the choice was what they had and the local classifieds.
    3. The option to return an online purchase. Though it's a good thing in general I feel a pressure to reconsider my decision during the return-time-slot. Up to the point that the new instrument doesn't feel like it's mine already.

For example I just got a wonderful Ibanez GB200 last week. I don't really need it, but I just wanted to try a big archtop. There were other choices on that top quality level: A GB5 for the same price and a Gibson L5 for more than twice the money. I know the GB200 is the best option for me, as it was reasonable priced and it has a poly finish – my body chemistry doesn't mix well with laquer finish in the hot months of summer. It's solidly built from laminate woods so I know it will just work in my band. It sounds great. I know objectively I made the right choice from a player's perspective – and I'm neither old nor rich enough to become a collector – though I tried to convince myself that the L5 would be a good financial investment.
    The return time slot is still open, so still I bother myself with questions like: Did I make the right choice? Shouldn't I at least play the L5 before settling for an Ibanez?
    Each time I play the guitar I know I made a good choice, but at other times I start to reconsider. So I'll better be AFK and enjoy to play it ... ;-)
    You don’t like standards and you want a Gibson L5?

Interesting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You don’t like standards and you want a Gibson L5?

Interesting...
    I know I don't deserve it. ;-) And I like modal jazz – some of these tunes are standards, too.

And then there is this guy: