The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 141 of 141

User Info Menu

Well, it could be the tuners, the nut, the strings, or something else. Impossible to diagnose from long distance. Anyway, it's a good excuse to buy a new guitar. And any excuse is better than none.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Totally! And it would be quite an upgrade. Excited to find "the one"! Hopefully next weekend will check an Eastman T186MX and if it resonates with me and gives me the right tone, might pull the trigger.

User Info Menu

This guitar might fit the bill, but it's just under the 2,000 cut off point, though I managed to get a wee discount.

It's the updated 2018 Eastman T184MX, it has undergone a few design changes this year, namely narrower headstock and customised Lollar Imperial pups, really happy with them.

Guitar is fully hollow and a solid wood carve, hence the hike in price. very similar profile to ES360/339, T184MX has a small 14" x 1 3/4"
    body style.

It is very light, is ergonomic, has impressive tone and
    playability, and it sounds good with low gain o/d pedals (can't vouch for higher gain, I don't play that way). I've tried it through Mad Prof Royal Blue & Simble, Xotic Soul Driven, Zendrive & The Dude pedals using clean combos, after a wee bit of dialling in and tweaking, the sounds were to my liking. I do play clean most of the time with minimal, if any, fx, though always with reverb, however, when I want a touch of low dirt this guitar delivers in spades, the Lollars certainly help.

Don't know what type of overall sound you are after, as a reference point. I tend to play a more modern jazz blues/soul/funk style {Carlton, Loeb, Ritenour, Ford, to name a few, as an inspiration, wouldn't have the cajones to say I play like them) and when required, I can roll off the tone and volume controls to achieve a satisfying traditional warm woody tone.

Of course, there is a bias in my recommendation, I just recently bought one and am still in the honeymoon phase. There are many good guitars out there that may meet your expectations, to varying degrees... Good luck.

Advice for a Thinline hollow body guitar-t184mx-gb-thinline__pgb1_0118-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MLambov
    The Johnny A. is just not my cup of tea although I never played one.
    Your loss, then!

It's an excellent-sounding and playing instrument, and it's well within your budget.

EDIT: I just looked: not available in Europe as yet, I'm afraid. I've just let know of that, as I'm on the waiting list for one. Dammit!
    Last edited by LtKojak; 05-31-2018 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

The eastman 184 is neck heavy when standing. That was a deal breaker for me. I like the guitar otherwise. The 15 is a little better but still a tad uncomfortable. The 16 is well balanced when standing and sounds the most hollow of the 3

User Info Menu

I will try a second hand T186MX from 2009 on Sunday. My only concern is that the sound will be way too acoustic than what I'm going for (kinda Gilad Hekselmanish sound). I'll bring my pedalboard to check out how it sounds.

User Info Menu

I’m desperately trying to find something out there that matches these specs in my budget! I love the sound of the thin body FULL hollows (no center block, no bridge pickup!). I know about the Sadowsky SS-15, Schottmüller, Eastman Jazz Elite and T145/T146. I need to keep it under $2000, and between 1.75 and 2.25 thick.

my problem is that I don’t enjoy the sound of eastmans, though the above mentioned two models are the only ones I can find in my budget! Looking for something with a grounded Humbucker (not floating, no p-90!) and a cutaway. What else is out there for this price???
    Last edited by MHoranzy; 02-22-2020 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Ibanez PM120.Jack Zucker has one for sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy
    Ibanez PM120.Jack Zucker has one for sale.
    Two pickups, only want one!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    Two pickups, only want one!
    Search for a Guild T-50. Long ago discontinued low price student model, but they pop up for sale online. I had one for over 20 years, foolishly sold it. The going price 11 years ago was $900. 1 single-coil P-90 pickup, thin body and fat, dark sound...

User Info Menu

If you only want one pickup you could probably get into a Gibson ES225 from the mid 50s. The only catch is the single pickup is in the middle and some people don’t like it where their pick resides. I have play them and never had an issue and they make all the right sounds. I own a double pickup from 57, and it is a great guitar, very well made. For $1500 less you can give up one pickup and gain a great guitar.

User Info Menu

I have to say the ES-225 came to mind also. I have a 1959 single pick-up and never had a problem with pick-up placement. I have thought of installing a SD staple pick up if it would fit W/O modifications. I am sure someone makes a humbucker that would fit also.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Soloway 15” single Gosling! If you can find one, grab it fast. Within your budget. Full hollow... easy to play... fantastic sounding jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Comins for sale in the Emporium at the moment

User Info Menu

Ibanez GB10

User Info Menu

Stretch your budget for a used Collings Eastside Jazz. There's one on Reverb now. No affiliation.