The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I replaced the ebony bridge base of the tun-o-matic bridge on my ES 175 with a rosewood one. It was meant to be a cosmetic change, I didn't expect to hear much tonal change. Afterall I'm still using the metal tun-o-matic bridge and saddles. So this is not a possible confirmation bias. The difference is quite dramatic. The guitar became significantly more woody sounding and warm. A little looser also. Ebony, in retrospect, was more crisp, tight and bright. More metallic perhaps. I'm liking it so far, although I wasn't looking to change the tone. It comes through the amp as well.

I've seen discussions regarding tone-o-matic vs wood bridge. And rosewood vs ebony bridge. I haven't seen a discussion about just the base material. It makes such a difference. If you have a tun-o-matic bridge I recommend trying different types of base material. I bet there is even a difference between one rosewood (or ebony) to another.

Everything has an effect on tone. So annoying.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 02-20-2020 at 04:42 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have also experienced that difference between rosewood and ebony - on average. Ebony is harder than rosewood - still on average. I prefer the ebony bridge for the tightness and crispness. As you write, there can be differences between two pieces of the the same wood and I suppose that one could find examples where a specific rosewood bridge sounded tighter and crisper than a specific ebony bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I replaced the ebony bridge base of the tun-o-matic bridge on my ES 175 with a rosewood one. It was meant to be a cosmetic change, I didn't expect to hear much tonal change. Afterall I'm still using the metal tun-o-matic bridge and saddles. So this is not a possible confirmation bias. The difference is quite dramatic. The guitar became significantly more woody sounding and warm. A little looser also. Ebony, in retrospect, was more crisp, tight and bright. More metallic perhaps. I'm liking it so far, although I wasn't looking to change the tone. It comes through the amp as well.

I've seen discussions regarding tone-o-matic vs wood bridge. And rosewood vs ebony bridge. I haven't seen a discussion about just the base material. It makes such a difference. If you have a tun-o-matic bridge I recommend trying different types of base material. I bet there is even a difference between one rosewood (or ebony) to another.

Everything has an effect on tone. So annoying.
    Tal_175, thanks for letting us know! Can you post fotos of the two bridge bases? I would expect that differences in the shape also matter.
    P.S. if one was out to remove muddy tendencies in the sound, would you recommend rather ebony than rosewood?

It'll be hard to get a good comparison photo as one of them is already installed and they have the same overall shape. Ebony one is slimmer. Rosewood one has thicker legs (so to speak) so it's higher and slightly longer. More mass. But it less dense and looks a bit porous. I think that extenuates it's contrasting qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Deaf Tony
    ... I feel the rosewood JS has a woodier, livelier, more acoustically resonant sound; lighter on the attack and more resonant on the decay.
    That bold quote is my experience as well. Softer attack but more resonant response after with Rosewood. I can feel the increased resonance through the guitars back. But I also even feel the resonance through the feedback from the strings to the pick. It's hard to describe.
    It comes with a price though. Ebony was definitely more articulate. Not everyone may like the Rosewood. At least one like the particular piece I'm using. Light colored and porous. As I said above it may have even stronger Rosewood qualities than the average.

User Info Menu

... Not everyone may like the Rosewood. At least one like the particular piece I'm using. Light colored and porous....
    That's why god gave us black Sharpies.

User Info Menu

Everything has an effect on tone.
    been saying this for years here!! hah

the density, size and fit to arch also matter!!

fit to arch is extremely important!! must be matched well...

even the height on the posts affect!!

neverending

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-21-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Thanks for that report. Are both of your wooden bridge bases in full contact with the guitar’s top? My L-7 has a bridge bass that is designed not to contact for a couple of inches in the middle. I wonder how that bridge base affects the tone, but I’ve never have an opportunity for an A-B comparison.

User Info Menu

Are the bases the same size - same width, same length, both full contact, both well fitted? All that matters. I've seen a dramatic difference in tone between a solid base and a two-footed one, the same size. Size differences mean that there is a difference in both contact area and in weight. IMO those factors can matter more than the wood species, although that too makes a difference.

User Info Menu

My immediate thought on reading the OP was that the new base simply fit the top better, both in contact and overall position. A fraction of a millimeter may be hard to see, but given the forces at play in an archtop, a hair's breadth can be crucial. Neatomic is right, as usual! The sweet spots are there, it's finding them that's tough.

I'll respond to questions so far in one post instead of individual replies:

Both bases (original ebony and the rosewood one) have two legs. Rosewood base is about 1/8th of an inch longer in total. General shape is the same standard two legged base. The difference is the rosewood base is thicker vertically and sits higher. So it has more mass.

They both appear to have the same diameter. The Ebony one is the original stock came with the guitar (2013 Gibson ES 175). The Rosewood base is slightly more flexible so it's possible that under the pressure of the stings it flexes into the surface shape better. Though there might be drawbacks to slightly less stiff base.