The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 202

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    From strictly a utilitarian point of view I concur with most of the above opinions. But I generally disliked many of the Norlin era Gibson's produced as well. I do stand by the thin neck description or at least med /slim no shoulder assessment.

For me these guys are definitely capable of producing some fine instruments, but they seem to lack the feel and looks of the better Gibson's.
    On the other hand Bob Benedetto has improved many of Gibson's designs .Especially the ES-175. in the Bambino guitar!
    Heritage's version of the ES175 (H575) was updated and upgraded to a similar-sized archtop, but with solid top/back/rims...and as many custom options as the customer could afford.

These two 575's have medium neck profiles as well as numerous custom upgrades. I found them wandering in the wild used guitar market, asked a few questions and could not be happier with the purchases.

This H535 Custom has a very thick D shaped neck profile, Ebony board and custom finish...

This H525 Custom was a special order (by me) to have a "Fat 59" neck profile and a bunch of other custom options. It was personally hand built by Marv Lamb to my specs.

Here's Marv, one of the oldest former Gibson employees, who survived the Norlin years and later became one of the founding owners of Heritage Guitars. They could and still can build whatever the customer requests, albeit for much more money than in the early days of the company. So, feel free to call them and ask about custom upgrades and more.

Also, if searching for an older Heritage, simply ask the current owner about its features. There's a good chance there were a few customer requests fulfilled by the old Gibson and 'Norlin' era builders at 225 Parsons St., Kalamazoo, MI.
    Last edited by Gitfiddler; 02-21-2020 at 12:21 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also owned a few as wel from H 535,Roy Clark, Millenium, H 550. So I'm not unfamiliar with them Played many Golden Eagles and a couple Sweet 16's and Super Eagles as well.
    Again they are capable of doing good work, but just didn't bond with them for the reasons I mentioned before. Also not all Gibson's were great either,but there's a certain feel and aesthetic design that appeal to my taste and playing.

User Info Menu

Wow, that blonde is spectacular! Is that a spruce top and not maple? I typically do not like the natural finish on maple but that guitar is a beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    Wow, that blonde is spectacular! Is that a spruce top and not maple? I typically do not like the natural finish on maple but that guitar is a beauty.
    Standard wood use by Heritage:
    1 - Super Eagle - Spruce top | maple rims, back, neck | ebony board
    2 - Super Patrick - Spruce top | maple rims, back, neck | ebony board

User Info Menu

Rendall Wall is a guitar innovator who worked many years for Gibson and then Heritage. He invented the TP-6 Gibson tailpiece plus brought into mainstream the idea of balance strings in terms of pounds of pull being similar for every string. He made the HRW pickup (Heritage Rendall Wall). But another notion he had was to put bushings under each corner of the pickup mount rings. That put the contact of the pickup rings only on four points of the top. He theorized that it would not dampen the top's vibrations as much.

I personally questioned him about how this makes sense in that the same amount of weight is added to the top. He smiled and said that some people say they hear a difference.

I had to try this but didn't expect much. Here are the washers. Sorry! Something went wrong! They are out of stock, but this gives you the size. It was a couple of bucks for 100 a decade ago.

I don't know if it matters in the final tone. I can't tell.

Today I got this video where you can hear a pro play with those washers on. He sounds great and he comments on the washers. I still don't know if they make a difference. It's a good video though.

User Info Menu

I have the 4 screw humbuckers on my 575. All I know is that I wouldn't change a thing.

User Info Menu

Hmmm, curious and interesting. I'd give it a go on my 575 if those washers were easily available. If anybody finds a link, please post here. The same company has other sizes in stock. (Ya can't always get what you want, someone said.)

Thanks for the tip, MG.

User Info Menu

rickenbacker has been using washer/grommets under their pickups for decades

ric supply shops sell'em

cheers

User Info Menu

Micro Fasteners

Search #3 brass washers

User Info Menu

There have been more than one iteration of the 3, and 4 screw mounts on different brands. Epi and Ibanez had three screw pup mounts, and Schaller also had the 4 screw mounts. I always "thought" that they were designed to help reduce pickup vibration / feedback at higher volume. What I "think" I know now is that every 3 and 4 screw pup I have on a git sounds good enough to not even think about changing them.

User Info Menu

The 4 screws made the pickup more stable, ie, it didn't rock backwards or forwards as 2 screw HBs tend to. Those Schallers sounded great on my H150, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    There have been more than one iteration of the 3, and 4 screw mounts on different brands. Epi and Ibanez had three screw pup mounts, and Schaller also had the 4 screw mounts. I always "thought" that they were designed to help reduce pickup vibration / feedback at higher volume. What I "think" I know now is that every 3 and 4 screw pup I have on a git sounds good enough to not even think about changing them.
    I had an Ibanez Artist with the 3-point adjustment. Getting to the sweet spots was dead easy. IMHO, this should be the standard, or at least an option.

User Info Menu

I added nylon washers from Ace Hardware under my pickup rings a few months ago on a laminated top (Epi Joe Pass). I had more of a feedback problem at a gig, so I removed them.

Did it sound better with them? Ehhh, maybe. I doubt if I could tell an honest difference with a blind A/B test.

Did it produce more feedback for me? Yup.

-Jon

User Info Menu

Just to clarify, these washers go under the pickup mount. They have nothing to do with pickup adjustment.

Here are two pics that show them, although they are had to see. I also provided pics of the washers so that anyone interested could know the dimensions.

Heritage H-575-20200418_170949-jpgHeritage H-575-20200418_171044-jpgHeritage H-575-20200418_171053-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage H-575-20200418_170943-jpg 

User Info Menu

Oh right. Never even thought that would be a thing.

I do remember Ren being very helpful some years back when I enquired about putting 13 gauge flats on my old 150!

User Info Menu

Even though Marty's topic has more to do with the four-mount-pickup (that term sounds kinky to me!), I'm glad he also mentioned the H575. I really love the size and sounds of this model. For me the 16" body width is the perfect size for sitting or standing. Plus on the used market there are so many iterations of 575's.

Before the current ownership change at Heritage, they were bargain basement, customizable archtops. Recently prices on the used market for plain and custom H575's have risen sharply. Fortunately the Heritage builders continue to produce a bare bones version...for only $3,499.

H-575 - Hollow Body Electric Guitar | Heritage Guitars

User Info Menu

Can anyone confirm the rim depth of a Heritage 575? My Gibson 175 is 3 3/8”. I’m hoping for 3” or under.
    thanks in advance!
    Tim

User Info Menu

2 3/4”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    Can anyone confirm the rim depth of a Heritage 575? My Gibson 175 is 3 3/8”. I’m hoping for 3” or under.
    thanks in advance!
    Tim
    H-575 Specs:

Standard H-575 Hollow Electric Guitar with Case, Antique Natural – Heritage Guitars

User Info Menu

The specs on the Heritage site does not list rim depth. I checked there first.
    thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    2 3/4”
    Thanks, that’s perfect!

User Info Menu

This one is an example of a the sort of custom build Heritage did all the time. Made in 2006, it has a chestnut burst finish sprayed by Floyd Newton (RIP), one of the holdovers from the Gibson time in Kalamazoo. Floyd was a master in bursts. The tailpiece is the old fashioned H, now replaced by the trapeze. The body is carved maple and the neck is mahogany. The board is ebony. There is extra binding on this one for the f holes and pickguard. The tuners may be Sperzel or Gotoh. The pickups are Schallers, which IMO are very good archtop pickups.

I'll provide a review when it arrives.

Heritage H-575-51638844400_fcd231ca73_c-jpgHeritage H-575-51637996621_0515be912e_c-jpgHeritage H-575-51638209558_5bf6329088_c-jpgHeritage H-575-51638844450_fb5fc2dca5_c-jpgHeritage H-575-51638645764_8dbd9afa8e_c-jpgHeritage H-575-51638209638_5e38c60fe9_c-jpg

Here's a similar instrument.

Comparison of Seth Lovers and Schalllers.

User Info Menu

Aha! You did good, sir. H-575's are wonderful sounding and playing instruments.

User Info Menu

Marty she is gorgeous! Nice guitar. For a nice person)
    jk

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar, congrats!