The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 202

User Info Menu

I had a H150 (LP) with those Schaller Golden 50s and roller string saddles as OE and remember a debate over at the Heritage forum years ago where some were decrying the Golden 50s, suggesting that they detracted in some way from the company's "image". So, I posted a clip with them. Begad, the thread still exists: The sizzling Schaller pickup quality debate - clip inside - Heritage Guitars - Heritage Owners Club
    Hey, if you think you can squeeze more tone out of some SDs or whatever, go ahead, but would it be a really cost-effective upgrade?

As for the (less inspired, IMO) Schaller roller saddles which are maybe ideal if you have a Bigbsy on the guitar, I did find that a change to Graph Techs took out the ping I was getting but again, if you are not experiencing any probs, leave as is, yes?

The Heritage headstock is 100% functional - straight string pull over the nut. Love it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My wife actually called my 575 ugly! She likes the blonde colored Washburn J-6 more than the sunburst 575... But she has no idea what I paid for the 575.

Congrats on your new guitar!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous finish on a perfectly minimalist functional beautiful guitar. I'd be staring at it too

User Info Menu

PeteE - lovely guitar 1

Is that the same 575 that has been in Foulds, Derby for a while, or the one at Frets in Cleveleys ? I have been eyeing them up on the interent, but having just settled on a Godin, I decided to pass. Enjoy it, despite the disinterest of your household.

User Info Menu

Heritage has long been on my short-list/wish-list, so when this popped up in a local auction site I had to pounce. (There is no dealer for these in NZ and you rarely see anything Heritage for sale 2nd hand).

This one was made in 2004 and comes with HRW (Heritage Rendal Wall) pickups, a nice bonus. Looks like it was left sitting in its case for the last few years, so I’m sending it off to a repair guy for some much needed TLC.

Initial impressions: that maple Heritage H-575 (I’ve always loved Heritage’s almond sunburst); pleasing acoustic voice (even with dead strings); and maybe the best neck I’ve ever played, just a perfect full C for my hand; some fret ends could have been finished to a higher standard, but that’s about the only gripe.

Last edited by Dedalus; 11-06-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Beautiful guitar and woods. When you find a neck you like, nothing beats the value/quality of a Heritage. Gongrads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    Hey Jared it’s Jared here. Nice name and nice rig . How do they compare to Gibson
    VERY nice 575, L-O-V-E that TP!

I have its twin! AFAIK, Gibson doesn't have any git now or in the past like a 575.

User Info Menu

Beautiful flame and color. +1 for me, the neck and fretboard are the single most important issues in a guitar.

User Info Menu

Has anyone compared H575's with spruce tops and maple tops? Heritage offers both types and they are carved. Mimi Fox model I think is spruce. Most people seem to get the maple model, why is that?
    I've never played a Heritage archtop. Another question I have is, are they more lightly build than Gibson's? Or are they sort of between Eastman's and Gibson's with that respect?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Has anyone compared H575's with spruce tops and maple tops? Heritage offers both types and they are carved. Mimi Fox model I think is spruce. Most people seem to get the maple model, why is that?
    I've never played a Heritage archtop. Another question I have is, are they more lightly build than Gibson's? Or are they sort of between Eastman's and Gibson's with that respect?
    Here I am taking Donna Lee about 2o bpm higher than I have any business doing.

Anyway, it's a pretty good representation of what this guitar sounds like unplugged. It sounds better like this than it does when you're playing it, too. I've heard the spruce models are much livelier acoustically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    The H-575 is all maple as standard. That’s why you see many more of them than spruce tops.

There are H-575 Customs with various changes made, occasionally with spruce tops, block inlays, fretboard binding, etc. Simply fewer of the customs out there. You’re right about the Mimi Fix model having a spruce top.

User Info Menu

I was recently looking at a 1988 heritage. Just curious if there is anything that should be concerning about heritage from that era (i.e. build quality, necks separating etc...)?thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Mine's a little older, but based on it I think you can be pretty confident this will be a high quality instrument.

Someone else might confirm, but I do think some of the 80's necks were on the thin side, a sign of the times I suppose. Someone else would know better.

User Info Menu

I've always found Heritage guitars to have thin necks and unesthesticaly pleasing. Although there a couple of exceptions. But it really is a personal choice in what appeals to you. Also some the pickups and hardware(Schaller) were quite strange to me as well.
    If you like Norlin Era Gibson's you will probably like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I've always found Heritage guitars to have thin necks and unesthesticaly pleasing. Although there a couple of exceptions. But it really is a personal choice in what appeals to you. Also some the pickups and hardware(Schaller) were quite strange to me as well.
    If you like Norlin Era Gibson's you will probably like them.
    There's Heritage's out there with all types of neck profiles, so if you can get pics that'd be helpful. But I do think the "regular" profile in the 80's was slim.

The neck on my 575 is a "hand filling" C, definitely not thin (but not as fat as my tele either)

As for not aesthetically pleasing, I suppose you can't please everyone...

Heritage H-575-fb_img_1582225112890-jpg

User Info Menu

nice looking guitar. the one I was looking at is currently listed on ebay. I would attach a link but I am at work and can not access that website from work.but ? its the only 1988 on there.thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wiscart1900
    nice looking guitar. the one I was looking at is currently listed on ebay. I would attach a link but I am at work and can not access that website from work.but ? its the only 1988 on there.thanks
    Just searched for it. Dang, that's an absolute beauty. I dig the split parallelograms too...don't see that much. Leads me to believe this guitar was built for somebody, as opposed to being a stock model. So the neck might not necessarily be a standard profile...I'd ask the seller what's up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wiscart1900
    I was recently looking at a 1988 heritage. Just curious if there is anything that should be concerning about heritage from that era (i.e. build quality, necks separating etc...)?thanks in advance
    Heritage guitars are handmade by very experienced luthiers. That said, they typically were made to a high standard, but the original founders had their ideas of design, aesthetics, hardware and function. Most of the guitars are based loosely on Gibson products. Also, Heritage did a LOT of custom builds, making almost each guitar unique. The cost of upgrades or custom features was a bargain compared to today.

To your point about concerns about build quality, neck issues, etc., Heritage guitars seem to hold up very well over time. That said, you would be wise to carefully inspect any used guitar before purchasing, since its life after leaving the factory is an unknown factor. A perfectly built guitar that is subjected to wide variances in temperature, moisture, abuse, or lack of care, will undoubtedly have issues.

User Info Menu

the one I have (1995) had an issue with the tailpiece: was not exactly in the middle of the bout (around 1 cm on the left)
    I could see pictures of one or two having the same problem, just be careful,
    the neck is the better I ever had (not so long hands)
    question: what is the specifity of the Schallers (on mine too), not fitted for jazz?
    cheers

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tootZ
    the one I have (1995) had an issue with the tailpiece: was not exactly in the middle of the bout (around 1 cm on the left)
    I could see pictures of one or two having the same problem, just be careful,
    the neck is the better I ever had (not so long hands)
    question: what is the specifity of the Schallers (on mine too), not fitted for jazz?
    cheers

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk
    I think the Schallers are great...I've never heard anybody complain about my sound.

User Info Menu

I think in many respects you are probably right, I just have always found the size of the 575 to be very comfortable. Less deep body, 24.75 neck.

User Info Menu

Best thing about them is they share a lot with Gibson guitars, great feedback resistance, stage guitars really. My favorite fretboard scale also. There 's a used left handed one for sale where i live at a great price... but i have two solid wood carved top archtops already and really i should get me a laminated, 175 type one...

User Info Menu

what I should also ask seeing as that Gibson 175 discussion came up ? what is a fair price for these. I see on reverb prices all over the board from 1300 to 4000. I know condition varies in guitars but it seems like many of these are pretty similar builds. I don't see a "vintage" heritage adding much value to these guitars like it would other brands potentially

User Info Menu

From strictly a utilitarian point of view I concur with most of the above opinions. But I generally disliked many of the Norlin era Gibson's produced as well. I do stand by the thin neck description or at least med /slim no shoulder assessment.

For me these guys are definitely capable of producing some fine instruments, but they seem to lack the feel and looks of the better Gibson's.
    On the other hand Bob Benedetto has improved many of Gibson's designs .Especially the ES-175. in the Bambino guitar!

User Info Menu

Because Heritage was (and still is) willing to accommodate customer requests for custom features, it is pointless to comment on Heritage guitars without having detailed specs or handling the instruments.

I played many of them over the years and didn't like their necks (mostly too small for me), until I found one quite by accident that I did like, and grabbed it. I found another that I thought I'd like based on available information, and I grabbed it, knowing that I could always return it if it was not "as advertised" - it is a great guitar.

I have found a few others I liked, but my grabbing days are mostly behind me. The ones I have are as good as or better than any comparable Gibsons that I have played, and I have played a lot of Gibson archtops over the past 45 years.

As far as neck dimensions go - just ask the seller for measurements as well as a description of the neck profile or shape. If you don't know how to interpret that information, just ask here. Plenty of members can talk you through it.

I've posted these before, but....pix!