Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello,

I will get a DV Mark little jazz amplifier (did not yet recieve it) for my jazzbox.

I'd like to know if I anyone tried a nylon string guitar with it.

I found this video on Youtube

Last edited by Raetiger; 02-20-2020 at 02:12 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah, that's the coveted red trim model. I wanted one, but all that was available was black trim. I don't currently own a nylon-string guitar, but I don't see why it wouldn't sound good with one.

User Info Menu

I haven’t plugged my Yamaha SLG200N into my DVMLJ yet, but now you have me curious...

User Info Menu

The wife has rather low end Ibanez electro classical. I have played it a couple times through my LJ. Not bad at all, at least with that guitar it sounded better than I expected. Makes me want to get a Godin nylon.

User Info Menu

I've tried it, at home, with a Godin Multiac Nylon. Not great, not terrible. Old strings and the guitar is stuffed with foam (to reduce a remarkable vulnerability to feedback).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've tried it, at home, with a Godin Multiac Nylon. Not great, not terrible. Old strings and the guitar is stuffed with foam (to reduce a remarkable vulnerability to feedback).
    Interesting.

User Info Menu

Ok I plugged my Yamaha SLG200N into the DV Mark Little Jazz to see how it sounds. I wasn’t hugely impressed - it was pretty mid-range-y to my ears. I twiddled a bit with knobs on the amp and on the guitar and got a reasonable tone but still not all that inspiring. Then I plugged in to my Yamaha THR10 and it sounded quite a bit better to me. I didn’t have to do as much knob twiddling to get something fairly decent (again, to my ears). Neither of them sounded like a Ramirez being played by Segovia. But then, a Yamaha silent practice guitar is not a Ramirez and lord knows I am not Segovia. At the risk of ridicule, I have uploaded sound files of yours truly playing through both amps. I mic’d them with an Audio Technica AT4050 through the pretty pristine mic pre on my Yamaha AG06. (As you tell, I’m a fan of Yamaha gear.) I suppose if you are listening to these on the speaker of a cell phone they may not sound all that different.... Headphones should help.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the interesting replies.
    Meanwhile I got the little jazz and had a try on it. Sounds great with my Ibanez PM200 and surprisingly well with my Raimundo Bossa Nova 3 with a fishman classic 3 preamp. I mean it's not the real acoustic sound of the guitar (btw the Raimundo is a great guitar with shorter scale-length 640 mm) but like someone said a full midrange sound. I had the opportunity to compare it to a bose sytem L1 and I wasn't convinced, too much piezo sound. If I should describe the sound I'd say it sounds a bit like Pat Metheny, Our spanish love songs on the album Beyond The Missouri Sky (which I like). I'll try to post some sound samples in the next days.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Did you see the DV Mark 801P ? It looks like a Little Jazz with a tweeter added. (I have not researched it in detail.)

DV MARK | Products | AC 801 P

User Info Menu

I agree, the sound of the Yamaha is much more natural. Thanks for the post !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Did you see the DV Mark 801P ? It looks like a Little Jazz with a tweeter added. (I have not researched it in detail.)

DV MARK | Products | AC 801 P
    Yup, that would be a better match.

User Info Menu

Digimartinet demos that and the DV Mark 801 and its bigger version on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Raetiger
    Thanks for the interesting replies.
    Meanwhile I got the little jazz and had a try on it. Sounds great with my Ibanez PM200 and surprisingly well with my Raimundo Bossa Nova 3 with a fishman classic 3 preamp. I mean it's not the real acoustic sound of the guitar (btw the Raimundo is a great guitar with shorter scale-length 640 mm) but like someone said a full midrange sound. I had the opportunity to compare it to a bose sytem L1 and I wasn't convinced, too much piezo sound. If I should describe the sound I'd say it sounds a bit like Pat Metheny, Our spanish love songs on the album Beyond The Missouri Sky (which I like). I'll try to post some sound samples in the next days.

Cheers
    So, here is a little soundsample : 1 piezo 2 natural.wav - Google Drive
    What do you think about the sound ?