The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Is your main jazz guitar amp a solid state or a tube amp?

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tube

162 43.43%
  • Solid State

211 56.57%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 218

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    I know someone who builds high end, hand wired, tube amps.

He says to me, If someone is stupid enough to pay me stupid money to build one of these stone age beasts I will build it for them.

He makes good money as a side line. Laughs all the way to the bank.
    If he enjoys taking people’s money for what he considers a bad design he is a crook. He should take the high road and build solid state/modelling that he believes in. Laughing all the way to the bank is not exactly an attractive personality trait. More of a bitter loser, don’t you think. Enjoy your tech. Poor attitude.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    There are MANY tube amps far lighter than the one you have described. Even combos that weigh as light as 35 lbs. Driving 35 miles is a very short distance. Sure tubes cost but how often do you need to change them? I happy you got a little jazz. Must be more amp than you need. Would you mind telling us which 75lb head and 2x12 cab you are/were using. Congrats on the lj.
    I didn't get it yet, but I will in short future.
    Well, every year and half? About that time.
    Every year and half. But still ... with minimal paycheck it was pain in the a**.
    Well I have new rule now. If it is more then 22 pounds. I'm not interested in.
    I have huge hype for like small 1x8 combos now.
    Or like Quilter SS head and 1x8 box.
    I'm huge fan of micro amps now. I love micro amp.
    And in terms of tubes.
    I would get something like H&K TubeMeister 5 with like 2 tubes, and if it had like auto bias.
    But more then 2-3 tubes - no. Big no.
    I'm soo glad that I got rid of this big s**t.
    But I will go solid state.

User Info Menu

Btw amp was JCM 900 clone, in 50W version.
    And box was 2x12" vertical.

I joined this community, cause people don't like small combos. Especially solid state.
    But you know your stuff in terms of small micro amps.
    That's why I love this forum.

When people tell me I love small 1x8 solid state combos. Most people tell me to get head scan. xD

User Info Menu

On the contrary my friend. I think a lot of members here love their small combo amps, be it tubes or solid state/modelling. Happy trails.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I know jazz players dig it.
    I love them also.
    When I saw photo of one guy from this forum.
    He has DV Mark LJ combo, and other was Vox BC108 cab with Quilter 101 head.
    I fell in love instantly.
    I want something like that.

User Info Menu

DV Mark has signed up a legion of guitarists of all genres praising their solid state miniature amp products.
    And I thought they were mostly into bass and some jazz oriented amplification.

DV MARK products are designed with a profound respect for the great history and traditions of the classic guitar amps, using cutting-edge technology!

User Info Menu

On the contrary my friend. I think a lot of members here love their small combo amps, be it tubes or solid state/modelling. Happy trails.
    i surely love mine ....

User Info Menu

I kinda wish Quilter and DV Mark would expand their offer.
    I love their tiny amps. But they few models only. -.-
    If they would have like 10ish models each, that would be cool.
    Quilter has like Fender in 101 Reverb, and the other head is like Marshall, as I've heard. Only like 2 basic models. -.-
    DV Mark same thing, I've heard they all have pretty pretty similar clean sound .... -.-

User Info Menu

Not to hijack a thread but...

I'm surprised nobody ever (or rarely) mentions the Positive Grid Bias or Kemper Profiler. Both are amazing amps albeit a bit pricey.

I've only tinkered with the Kemper at a LGS, and it had way too many possibilities to explore in a store. But I have had a PG for a while now and for clean it's the equal of most anything I've played. The reverb is lackluster and I've never tried to get any sort of tube breakup but it's so readily customized with their software I haven't even scratched the surface on its possibilities.

User Info Menu

When I leave the house: Henriksen JazzAmp 110 - nice tone, very loud AND clean, super-reliable, and lightweight.

But in the house? A Blues Junior with a Cannabis Rex speaker and replacement tubes - old school tone - very late '50s when combined with my P-90 equipped hollowbody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The front end of a plucked guitar string note is a hot mess. The initial attack is the strongest and most chaotic part of the note.The string has not yet settled into its stable, harmonically sorted period of vibration. I like a little sag for that reason. Coupled with soft-knee compression and judicious use of the plectrum, it allows me (on a good night) to shape the note into something I want to hear. The note is not just clean, it's cleaned up.

The top of an archtop or flattop performs much the same function, as much of the initial energy of the stroke is used to set the top in motion, slightly delaying the fullness of the note and allowing the coherent harmonic vibration to dominate.

At least, that's my thinking on it. YMMV.
    I have never thought about it that way but that makes sense!!

I have a DV Mark for practice and rehearsals for ease but I am a tube guy. Mainly for the feel differences as mentioned in this thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    It‘s always a shame if someone hates what he does.
    ... perhaps I misread, but he was laughing all the way to the bank. Sounds like a labor of love ;-)

Anyhow, FWIW, I've found something as simple (and portable/affordable) as a BOSS GT-1 run through a flat EQ speaker cabinet does a marvelous job of creating tube-like tone. A dab of compression+delay+chorus+gain and you can dial in a wonderfully smooth and creamy tone, just on the edge of breaking up.

(... and, of course, you can also practice through headphones late at night and hear the same tone).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    It‘s always a shame if someone hates what he does.
    I don’t think that comment necessarily means that he hates what he does. I’m guessing it might be more likely that he recognizes that over fifty or sixty years that technology has moved forward and designs that were state of the art when the Beatles stormed the world, are moving more and more towards being obsolete. People still love handmade mechanical watches and pay thousands of dollars for them while acknowledging that a $25 Casio is a far more accurate timekeeper.
    I have tube and SS and I’m happy with what I get out of both. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; most guitar players are incapable of determining whether an amp sounds good or not, they can only determine if it sounds like what they have heard before, if it’s familiar to their ear (Fender, Marshall etc.). You see a similar mindset with acoustic guitars; if the design, no matter how brilliant, articulate, bell like singing beautiful tone, if it doesn’t sound like a Martin/ banner year J45, it is ignored or slammed.

User Info Menu

With all respect to the pollster, there are too many variables between the two to state a preference. For example, how about ss amps that emulate tubes very well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The front end of a plucked guitar string note is a hot mess. The initial attack is the strongest and most chaotic part of the note.The string has not yet settled into its stable, harmonically sorted period of vibration. I like a little sag for that reason. Coupled with soft-knee compression and judicious use of the plectrum, it allows me (on a good night) to shape the note into something I want to hear. The note is not just clean, it's cleaned up.

The top of an archtop or flattop performs much the same function, as much of the initial energy of the stroke is used to set the top in motion, slightly delaying the fullness of the note and allowing the coherent harmonic vibration to dominate.

At least, that's my thinking on it. YMMV.
    K, some good words here. I really like your description, especially the domination of, or dominant 'coherent harmonic vibration'! That's what I like to hear too! Very good. Thanks for kick starting my day and giving me something to think about while I plant some seeds in my garden!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    K, some good words here. I really like your description, especially the domination of, or dominant 'coherent harmonic vibration'! That's what I like to hear too! Very good. Thanks for kick starting my day and giving me something to think about while I plant some seeds in my garden!
    You are very welcome. All part of the service!

User Info Menu

Something wrong with the settings? Citizenk74 made the previous post on April 28, yet the list of threads claims it is from today. Anyway, I've been a SS guy from 1965, with a few exceptions (HRDL, Classic 30, SCXD; all before thigh, back and shoulder operations.) I constantly get lauded for my tone. Maybe it's just the only praise-worthy aspect about my playing.

User Info Menu

Tone Master Deluxe Reverb; sold state but sonically indistinguishable from its original sister and only 22lbs! So best of both worlds if you like the 1965 blackface mid scoop - if you don't then a decent eq will take you most places.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Something wrong with the settings? Citizenk74 made the previous post on April 28, yet the list of threads claims it is from today. Anyway, I've been a SS guy from 1965, with a few exceptions (HRDL, Classic 30, SCXD; all before thigh, back and shoulder operations.) I constantly get lauded for my tone. Maybe it's just the only praise-worthy aspect about my playing.
    The settings are fine. Polls on this site function like that. It keeps them current in the "new posts" category.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Tone Master Deluxe Reverb; sold state but sonically indistinguishable from its original sister and only 22lbs! So best of both worlds if you like the 1965 blackface mid scoop - if you don't then a decent eq will take you most places.....
    Based on the amount of favorable reviews and comments from users of these new Fender Tone Master amps (Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb), these may be real game changers going forward.

I love my tube amps, warts and all, but if I were in the market for another amp, the TM series would be on the top of my list. Is it too late to change my poll vote?

User Info Menu

Many thanks. Alan

User Info Menu

For the last four months I don't think I've actually played through my amp for more than a couple hours total. I've been working on the never ending album project every day and that's been just plugging into the interface and straight into the computer. It's mostly playing at whisper volume levels while I record and hearing the strings as I hit them. It makes any amp sound just amazing when I get around to plugging in.

User Info Menu

I prefer tubes. I used to be a tube snob, but I was pretty ignorant without nearly so much experience as I have nowadays. I still prefer tubes, in part because the grit sounds more organic to me, and in part because the feel or the bloom of the notes seems different.

That's not universal, though. One of my amps is an ancient Peavey Bandit (first year if I'm not mistaken) that is a delightfully touch-sensitive amp. It stays at our rehearsal room, but I'd gig it without a second thought if need be. It's just bloody heavy.

I also used to own a Tube Works 25w hybrid 1x10 (tube pre-, SS power-amp) that was one hell of an amp. That was grab-n-go for walking to open-mics when I lived off downtown Ventura, could fill a small room with ease, and whether I was playing heavy rock or fingerstyle jazz it was easy to dial in quickly.

Have guitar, and amp, will travel.

User Info Menu

If he enjoys taking people’s money for what he considers a bad design he is a crook. He should take the high road and build solid state/modelling that he believes in. Laughing all the way to the bank is not exactly an attractive personality trait. More of a bitter loser, don’t you think. Enjoy your tech. Poor attitude.
    Don't take it personally. your initial post is quite enough to put sensible people off tubes, since nobody in the audience can tell the difference, ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Based on the amount of favorable reviews and comments from users of these new Fender Tone Master amps (Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb), these may be real game changers going forward.

I love my tube amps, warts and all, but if I were in the market for another amp, the TM series would be on the top of my list. Is it too late to change my poll vote?
    That's how I ended up with the Tonemaster....
    My main amps since 1971 have exclusively been tubes : 1966 AC30, 1975 Deluxe, 2004 Princeton Recording (hybrid beast, but great blackface sound). When the electronics on the Princeton recording died and no-one could repair it, I shopped around and was amazed by the sound of the Tone Masters, hence the purchase last year.
    Having said that, my standby amp since 1986 is a solid state Laney Linebacker 50w combo, which can do a serious replica of the blackface sound, and I've recently added a TC Electronics BAM 200 head, mainly for bass, but it has a great clean sound through a Toob Metro 6.5"BG for my ES-175D, as an alternative to the TMDR.
    Room for tubes and solid state in my life, as long as the sound is there.