The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Is your main jazz guitar amp a solid state or a tube amp?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tube

121 46.72%
  • Solid State

138 53.28%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 155 of 155

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I too have a Princeton Reverb II, which makes beautiful sounds. I would be interested to know what settings you use.
    in the current context, it’s running “straight up”. No distortion, no mid-knob pull boost. Just clean, a touch of reverb, volume low enough so it matches up with an upright acoustic bass and another guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well I've been a SS guy for years now. But I recently bought a Carvin V3M 50w tube amp just to fool around with at home for fusioney stuff. Nice sounds. And I like having the 3 channels. From clean, to grit, to lead, without the need for a pedal in front. And folks should understand there are many SS amps that are not class D. Dan Pearce made some of the most wonderful tubey sounding SS amps back in the 80s before the proliferation of class D. Had a huge toroidal transformer. Enough power to knock down a building. But no tubes.

Pearce Amplifiers

User Info Menu

Bought myself a hybrid Koch Jupiter last summer. Really nice. So tube or SS bit of both.
    The Koch is a bit warmer compared to my Roland jc-40. Although the chorus is unbeatable on a Jazzchorus i'll go for the Koch.

Use it with my Ibbys (2616, jp20, as120) and a homemade telecaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Field
    Bought myself a hybrid Koch Jupiter last summer. Really nice. So tube or SS bit of both.
    The Koch is a bit warmer compared to my Roland jc-40. Although the chorus is unbeatable on a Jazzchorus i'll go for the Koch.

Use it with my Ibbys (2616, jp20, as120) and a homemade telecaster.

User Info Menu

My main amp is a Fender Vibrolux. But lately I've been using a Tech21 Fly Rig plugged directly into the desk. I'm happy with the tone.
    Since this is such a pragmatic and cheap solution I kind of don't trust myself so I keep bugging our organ player "What do you think about the guitar tone?". His answer is always "I haven't paid attention" so I think it is at least good enough.