The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi guys

Fairly new to jazz guitar, I've played folk and bluegrass for 30 odd years though so not a beginner.

Anyways, I've got a Ibanez ak95-dvs-12-01 and was wondering abot upgrading the tail piece and pickups. Any recommendations out there or are the original ok?

Also what strings do people use on arch tops?

I've currently got Thomastik George Bensons on the Ibanez but they're a bit pricey and need replacing!

Many thanks

Andy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I first used TI George benson's
    very nice but yes .... Pricey

so so I went to TI jazz swings
    really like them too , and a bit cheaper
    (i probably only change them yearly so
    price is ok)

i got a used AF81 a similar Ibanez to yours
    it already had a generic Gibson 125 style tailpiece on it
    maybe this kind

WD® Replacement Tailpiece For Gibson® L-50, L48, ES-125, Or ES-330

works fine

User Info Menu

Ibanez AK95 Mods and Strings-2de2f7a2-25f2-4830-8fa0-127ec4519cdc-jpgIbanez AK95 Mods and Strings-cad3b183-8518-4707-98ba-1c451c178903-jpg

Note the the tailpiece doesn't quite cover
    the previous holes ....

(i'm not bothered by that)

User Info Menu

Here is my ak95, i bought it used a year ago for about 350 usd. It has flatwounds, otherwise original.

Ive been playing mainly at home with a looper and pop and rock in various amature bands, mostly with stratocaster. Now im trying to learn some jazz and bought this hollow body.

Attachment 69321

Very pleased with the guitar. It has a comfy neck/body, and looks like a piece of art in the stand.

I find the sound amazing, very very woody, heavy and mellow tone, just great for playing solo with jazz settings on amp, even with my limited technique, but when playing campfire chords it of course sounds incredible muddy. A world apart from my stratocaster. My teory is that the ACH is designed for roundwounds and gets this darker tone as a sideeffekt of flatwounds. From what i read on forums there are divided opinions on the ACH pickups.

Ive been thinking of the same mods as you. The pickups, also the brigde one, are a tad to dark when i play jazz chords with my limited technique and I think my sound would improve with a brighter PU. Maybe i change the tailpiece to a simpler one.

Not that it bothers me much but I think the wiring might be wrong: When the switch is in middle position and I change volume knobs for either neck or brigde PU the total volume changes, as if there are only one volume knob. Should it be like that?

Best regards

User Info Menu

Here’s the tailpiece I used on an AKJV95 I completely rebuilt with quality hardware, wiring, switch, pots, caps and pickups. The tailpiece worked out perfectly and it covered the screw holes
    Ibanez AK95 Mods and Strings-64d781b9-759c-4b8e-b1a0-82f411768778-jpg Cost about $65 if I remember correctly.

Roli

User Info Menu

Are the stock p-ups super 58s? Those can be pretty good.
    If you want a good but cheap upgrade, old standby Seymour Duncan 59s are a pretty reliable option ime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Here’s the tailpiece I used on an AKJV95 I completely rebuilt with quality hardware, wiring, switch, pots, caps and pickups. The tailpiece worked out perfectly and it covered the screw holes
    Ibanez AK95 Mods and Strings-64d781b9-759c-4b8e-b1a0-82f411768778-jpg Cost about $65 if I remember correctly.

Roli
    yeah that would be even better I reckon

User Info Menu

Here’s the finished product:
    Ibanez AK95 Mods and Strings-89ab6567-5538-41be-8cd9-b8f53bbb6a4f-jpeg

it’s now in the hands of another forum member!

All the best on your adventure. These guitars are surprisingly good.

Roli

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies everyone
    Much appreciated ?
    Andy