The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Jazz Winds From A New Direction', still holds up...I think Gary Burton was 18 or something ?
    I think 17. Pretty freaking amazing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It surprises me that there are long-time guitar players who never heard of Hank Garland. But I suppose there are players I never heard of. To me, the most amazing thing about "Jazz Winds From A New Direction" is Gary Burton. To be able to play like that at 17 is simply incredible, a true prodigy. The entire group is world-class, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Thanks, Dot, for the great recording. I never heard Hank before and love his pristine, fat sound and the clarity of his voice. Beautiful playing and masterful technique. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Oh my, how is that even possible?
    Being a guitar player for so long as you say you've been he's hard to have been missed especially since he played on countless famous country recordings and was equally proficient in jazz..but better late than never, glad you finally found him...
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-20-2020 at 01:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Many guitar recordings over the years do get a bit old and I don't listen to them much any more. In the case of Hank I still go back and listen to Jazz Winds it just never seems to get old. One aspect of his playing is the really nice comping he does behind the soloist. He just makes those nice inside moves. In fact reminds of the my old teacher and friend Freddie Rundquist. Fred knew Hank well and I believe at one point he may have gotten a Stromberg guitar from Hank. In any case Fred was too a master comping guitarist and seems he and Hank sound similar in there approach.

Ok now I am going to get out my guitar this afternoon and maybe try Sugarfoot Rag. I have never really tried to play it or learn it but just for some ear work I am going to give it a wing. My sight reading is fine so I will not be tempted to read the lines, I am going to just ear the puppy because I am pretty sure Hank eared almost anything fast.

Maybe they could loan me the L7 just to keep it from getting too stiff.

User Info Menu

To y Williams was only 17 in the famous Miles Davis Quintet!

User Info Menu

What's up with the three screws on the top between the pickup and the bridge?

Does the L7C have a center block that glue just couldn't hold onto, or unusual pickup mount / adjust or?

User Info Menu

Those screws hold the pickup in place. Google "charlie christian pickup".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Oh my, how is that even possible?
    Being a guitar player for so long as you say you've been he's hard to have been missed especially since he played on countless famous country recordings and was equally proficient in jazz..but better late than never, glad you finally found him...
    Hi, WM,
    Well, my favorite musicians were never Jazz guitarists. Being a multi-instrumentalist: former sax/flute player as well as Classical, R&B, and Jazz guitar, I usually listened to sax/trumpet players since I learned more from them about melody, phrasing, pacing, etc. than I did from guitarists. However, my guitar education was much more eclectic than most Jazzers: Phil Upchurch, Gilberto, Jobim, Paco de Lucia, Roland Dyens, Narcisso Yepes, the Assad Brothers, Segovia, and yes, of course, Wes--who was my first influence for Jazz guitar. I am also am heavily influenced by R&B guitarists--most of whom were anonymous players on thousands of recordings during the 60's and 70's. So, I did miss Hank among the hundreds of musicians I followed over the years--yes, but better late than never! Here's the master Roland Dyens playing Dizzy's "Night in Tunisia." What do you think?

User Info Menu

That L7 with the CC pick-up is just so luscious - but not the price of a Ferrari luscious.
    If it was Lenny Schmuck's L7 what would it be worth, $20K? I'm not an expert - that's not a rhetorical question.

Hank was a great player but aside from a few nerdy guitar jazzbos and educated country fans, few have heard of him.

User Info Menu

I first knew of him when I read up on the Byrdland guitar before I could play much of anything. I think even non-jazzers like that model, so he should be fairly well known - and he deserves it; impressive playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    That L7 with the CC pick-up is just so luscious - but not the price of a Ferrari luscious.
    Funny about our priorities. I just heard a car ad on the radio today, "Ever dreamed about owning a Mercedes....?"

Nope, not for one minute. But a fabulous archtop, yes!