The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 55 of 90 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Posts 1,351 to 1,375 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    The pickups are a "vintage" alnico 5 set I got from E-dis pickups
    Meggy, are those pick-ups really as good as the blurb on the site says? And are they expensive? "E-mail for a quote" sounds ominous...

My strats do have trem bridges FWIW, but I just have them set hard against the body with 5 springs.
    Doesn't that make unwanted noises from the springs transmitted to the body? I'm just asking out of curiosity; don't have a Stratocaster.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Meggy, are those pick-ups really as good as the blurb on the site says? And are they expensive? "E-mail for a quote" sounds ominous...

Doesn't that make unwanted noises from the springs transmitted to the body? I'm just asking out of curiosity; don't have a Stratocaster.
    Zina - in fact the pickups were fairly inexpensive - under £100 delivered from Croatia to the UK. They are very neatly made, and despite being alnico 5 magnets, have a warm, sweet tone, while still being stratty also. The maker often has an ebay advert listed for the same pickups, including at the moment: Hand wound Single Coil pickups set fit Fender Startocaster by e-dis pickups | eBay

- just something I tried that worked out for me anyhow, I know there are lots of good pickups out there to choose from.

Regarding noises being transmitted to the body, I have to say I've never noticed anything at all, no problems there, but that is just my experience.

Edit: just to add about the "are they as good as the blurb says?" question - kind of hard to answer, because it's a subjective thing regarding tone and response. I can only say that having tried quite a few different sets of strat pickups, on several guitars I've built, that these pickups are for my taste extremely good, and I'm still very glad I took a chance and put in an order. Good enough that I'm likely to order a second set some time, even though I don't need them at the moment (I may try the "Modern Hot" option, just for variety, but I really do like the Vintage set).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information; that's helpful. I like his emphasis on neatly separated defined lows and gentle highs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Picked up the Pro Tone Fat Tele last week. Well constructed Squire. Only needed a slight truss rod & low E saddle adjustment. Wiring under the hood looks clean. Electronics & neck humbucker seem pretty decent for a Squier. According to some forums it came from the Cort factory and soon after the short 2 year run of these sounds like Cort started making the G&L Tribute series. So far not any issues adjusting to the neck. I got the pickup dialed in with with GHS boomers 10's. Might give the Brite Flats a whirl later. Will revisit this post after a couple of months of gigging with this.
    Well I guess I am more of an acoustic and or hollowbody archtop guy. Personally could not get back into solidbody electrics. Sold the squire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    (to Greentone)...musikraft builds very high quality stuff...out of nj usa!...the neck pictured looks like a beauty..with the grain running straight parallel..beautiful...and louisville slugger beefy for them that likes 'em like that...
    glad your back in tele-ville...looking forward to this build - cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yeah…sigh….it was time to share the joy. It was so similar to my Monty tele, there was no point. The existing hardware is all going onto a tele that will look sort of like this Fiesta Red example, with a very odd mystery neck (1 7/8" at nut, 1 1/8" deep, no truss rod). I'll post pix of it when it's up and running:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Ahh! Fender Champ steel guitar logo from the 50s. D'oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    No truss rod?!? Why? Just because you can? (Can't think of any advantage....?) I like my truss rods..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes, because I can! Different sound without a trussrod. Fender's first teles had no truss rods and had pine bodies (this one is ash), so all the cool kids are trying that out, led by that young whippersnapper Rick Kelly over at Carmine St. Guitars.
    While I'm rummaging around this corner of things...I posted this waybackwhen, but it seems to have disappeared. Again...Monty toploader ash body in Fiesta Red, toploader bridge w/Rutters saddles, Budz pups, neck w/no trussrod, 1 7/8" nut, 1 1/8" deep from stem to stern. An interesting flavour of Tele.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-24-2020 at 09:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information; that's helpful. I like his emphasis on neatly separated defined lows and gentle highs.
    @Zina; No problem - I had forgotten what the maker said on his website to be honest, although I must have read and considered it at one point before buying. But I guess I can say, from a year or more of actually using the pickups, that I would agree with his description - broadly speaking, they are strat pickups, and sound like strat pickups, but that said, the highs for me do have a soft/breathy kind of quality compared to many other strat pickups that can be a bit more biting and agressive in nature. And for jazz chord work, the tones do seem nicely defined, and with a pleasing evenness also.

If you're seriously considering buying, with intention to use a strat for jazz, then I do think you could do a lot worse. I admit I was giving e-dis pickups a bit of a plug, but just because I'm a happy customer, and also because the Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios of this world get plenty of free mentions, but less so the smaller makers. I think you might find a few demos of the pickups on Youtube if you searched (of varying playing quality, and sadly not jazz) but it might help a bit all the same. And of course as you know, the guitar itself, amp, tone settings, and fingers all make a huge influence on results too. But certainly in my humble opinion, nice pickups.
    Last edited by Meggy; 01-25-2020 at 05:54 AM.

User Info Menu

So many different Telecasters, I play whatever shows up at the local Mom & Pop store, learning as I go and focusing on the feel of the neck as I play. That part of the "user interface" varies widely among Teles.

This month a couple of Fender 1952 reissues showed up (2013 and 2016) and it took all of 10 seconds to succumb to the charm of the neck. Notably fuller in the palm than anything else I've played, but not a Nocaster log. The 52 reissue has rolled edges, small frets and 7.25" radius. Easy playing, soft, comfortable old shoe kind of feel which makes the model stand apart from the others I've played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Hi I'm an interloper from the land of the f hole ....

Can I get advice ...
    Im thinking of putting together a cheap solid guitar
    to get (mainly) a decent clean jazz sound ...
    with a bit of funk too on the side

I realise I'm asking the tele crowd ....but
    would a a hard tail strat do just as well for this ?

im not gonna spend much money on this project
    Just get a beat up charity shop tele or strat and put some
    decent hardware on it ,
    or maybe I'll spend £100 on a cheap squire ... dunno

should I look for a light or medium weight body ?
    light would be nice .... does light wood work for a clean sound ?
    I like a dark sound generally

thank you very much
    A strat with a decent neck pickup and flat string (for example: Thomastik ) would do the job pretty well.
    I would get a little 59 for the neck position, or a little jeff beck. I had one little jeff beck in the neck position of a tele and sounded really good.
    BUT any pickup you put will not improve a bad instrument. A cheap squire might give you some headaches in other aspects... tunning, comfort etc.
    If you don't have any preferences I would recommend a Yamaha pacifica.
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H VW – Thomann United States
    A friend of mine have that from the link and that p90 sounds really gooood. A minor set up and the guitar is ready to gig.
    best and good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    @Zina; No problem - I had forgotten what the maker said on his website to be honest, although I must have read and considered it at one point before buying. But I guess I can say, from a year or more of actually using the pickups, that I would agree with his description - broadly speaking, they are strat pickups, and sound like strat pickups, but that said, the highs for me do have a soft/breathy kind of quality compared to many other strat pickups that can be a bit more biting and agressive in nature. And for jazz chord work, the tones do seem nicely defined, and with a pleasing evenness also.

If you're seriously considering buying, with intention to use a strat for jazz, then I do think you could do a lot worse. I admit I was giving e-dis pickups a bit of a plug, but just because I'm a happy customer, and also because the Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios of this world get plenty of free mentions, but less so the smaller makers. I think you might find a few demos of the pickups on Youtube if you searched (of varying playing quality, and sadly not jazz) but it might help a bit all the same. And of course as you know, the guitar itself, amp, tone settings, and fingers all make a huge influence on results too. But certainly in my humble opinion, nice pickups.
    Well, I'm almost certainly getting someone's Castoffaster (she's giving it away), which is set up like you described, and already sounds deep and warm instead of the trebly sound I thought all Stratocasters had.

I'm going to keep it in DADGAD tuning, and think that those e-dis pick-ups would be perfect for that. The humbucker customer clip on his site sounds super-clean too, but he should upload some more himself, with the treble rolled off to various levels, or it's guesswork re. their staying clear and defined. If they do, I'll ask for more hours...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wolf
    If you don't have any preferences I would recommend a Yamaha pacifica.
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H VW – Thomann United States
    A friend of mine have that from the link and that p90 sounds really gooood. A minor set up and the guitar is ready to gig.
    best and good luck!
    those look great to me
    great price too ...

ive had trouble with locking tuners (can’t remember the make but they worked by some kind of self locking mechanism) snapping TI flats at the tuning head

does anyone here have experience with these grover lockers with flats ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    those look great to me
    great price too ...

ive had trouble with locking tuners (can’t remember the make but they worked by some kind of self locking mechanism) snapping TI flats at the tuning head

does anyone here have experience with these grover lockers with flats ?
    My tele has locking tuners, Fender branded...never had a problem with snapping flats.

User Info Menu

Mine has Schaller locking tuners, I believe. No problems.

EDIT: thumbwheel on the back.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-30-2020 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Self locking type or thumbwheel on the back type ?

User Info Menu

I have Hipshot thumbwheels on all four of my partscasters and Kluson Revolution thumbwheels on two of my Gibsons. Never had a single problem with any of them either with the tuners or flatwound strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have Hipshot thumbwheels on all four of my partscasters and Kluson Revolution thumbwheels on two of my Gibsons. Never had a single problem with any of them either with the tuners or flatwound strings.
    thanks that’s good to hear ....

the problem i had was defo with the self-locking types

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Attachment 43462

Just wonderin' -- Any love here for the snakehead Teles?
    I put this together for a friend as a spare for when he gigs, but he never needs it, so off it goes. The body just got sold, so I'll post the neck over in the For Sale area sometime soon. Very cool item - could be right or lefty!

User Info Menu

What are the specs on the neck again?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    What are the specs on the neck again?
    1-piece birds-eye maple, walnut skunk stripe, clear satin finish
    nut width - 1.67" | 1 43/64"
    nut - black TUSQ

Standard Thin profile (.80" - .85"):
    -actual neck depth at first fret - .79"
    -actual neck depth at 12th fret - .84"
    -frets - 6105
    -neck radius - looks like straight 9.5" to me (I need to confirm this)
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-19-2020 at 01:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm almost certainly getting someone's Castoffaster (she's giving it away), which is set up like you described, and already sounds deep and warm instead of the trebly sound I thought all Stratocasters had.

I'm going to keep it in DADGAD tuning, and think that those e-dis pick-ups would be perfect for that. The humbucker customer clip on his site sounds super-clean too, but he should upload some more himself, with the treble rolled off to various levels, or it's guesswork re. their staying clear and defined. If they do, I'll ask for more hours...
    sorry, only just seen this Zina - and I do think you'll like the pickups. Hard to assess things just from Youtube clips I know!

User Info Menu

I found a sweet deal on this today. It’s like brand new, appears to not have been played. I have read up a bit on these, and so far it seems every bit as good as the reviews. It’s MIM, has a nice fat C neck, nitro finish. The pickups sound good, but when I compare to my other Tele (the blonde pictured below) with a Lollar CC in the neck and a Biltoft Vintage Vibe in the bridge it’s apparent that these p/u’s could use an upgrade. I still have the Biltoft VV that I swapped out of the neck of the other Tele. I think I’ll pick up a VV for the bridge and have both installed. Otherwise, it has a very vintage feel and the fit and finish is excellent. For a MIM Tele this a a great bang for the buck!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-8b040840-958c-44d1-8d68-41cb9badbf7b-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-082447ee-b395-4967-b694-1f8d00a906ff-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-66287bfe-4885-4610-a8b0-9f0716b78856-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-8094cc1d-e082-44db-9062-29c22f1d90af-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-901329b2-fdaf-45c5-aaec-335df2490cf9-jpg 

User Info Menu

I love the look of Teles with Charlie Christian pickups but have never laid hands on one. I'm familiar with P90, Humbucker, and single coil pickups in Tele necks and each brings something different to the table.

How would you describe the tone of a neck CC p'up?

User Info Menu

Git, I think the word I would use is dynamic. I think it was Tim Lerch that said that these pu’s “hear the winding on the strings”. That’s an apt description. They provide great clarity and can tend to be a bit bright. But, they respond exceptionally well when you roll back the tone. It’s the perfect jazz Tele sound, IMO. They are also great for blues. Add a little overdrive with a Tubscreamer and you get a really nice gritty tone if you push them. They are great pickups.

User Info Menu

Sweet looking Tele! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

The final transformation of my 50’s Classic is underway. The new pickguard arrived today, and the new pickups will go in this coming weekend.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-069b3067-41c0-4623-9efe-a7a4215e80d0-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-87767ba9-b7a2-4f33-911c-106700afd5f4-jpg

User Info Menu

Slightly off-topic: will a thin-line Telecaster still do that original, sort of quickly decaying, dry, woody 'plunk plunk' sound, or add (much) more 'airy' resonance and sustain?