The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I believe the C6V is labeled as MOD for the US market.

Edit: As I'm not sure, I've sent an inquiry to the factory.
    Th CH6154 is the MOD 6, 15 W, 4ohm. I believe the ‘naked’ C stands for ceramic, which is a bit more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oops, no response from the factory - not unusual with Italians - and I forgot to follow up on this one - not unusual with me. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Their website explains for all their series how they are named. I just picked a C8R on eBay(yahoo!) and reread their website. R stands for 25W power rating. But the mods spell out the specs in numbers. Last year I spent hours listening to their online samples....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Th CH6154 is the MOD 6, 15 W, 4ohm. I believe the ‘naked’ C stands for ceramic, which is a bit more expensive.

Eck, you are right, and the factory just confirmed the CH6 and Mod 6 are the same.

Thanks,

Markku

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    So, I took my Toob Metro BG to a rehearsal today - big band (socially distanced which was funny.)

I would LOVE to see a picture of that scene.

User Info Menu

Toob Metro Speakers-img_9130-jpg

Hey everyone! My Toob Metro 6.5 GP+ arrived today in the mail. This cabinet is really something else! It weighs about 3.7 lbs which is about half the weight of the 7 lbs ZT lunchbox cabinet I was using before getting this. I really like the small little features to this Toob cabinet. It has a small platform build onto the cabinet with velcro on it so you can attach your amp head to it (it comes with some velcro straps to put on the bottom of amp heads). I'm using my Quilter Microblock 45 with it and the whole setup weighs 4 lbs maximum. It comes with stainless steel legs so you can hear yourself better when it's seated on the floor. It also comes with a nice short, and very sturdily built speaker cable so when you mount a head on this cabinet, it in effect becomes a combo amp. Although the cabinet is closed back it's not anywhere nearly as directional as you'd think for it's size.

I prefer a brighter tone than most jazz guys, so the GP+ made the most sense for me (thanks to Markku for helping me choose which one would be right for me). With the Quilter 45 Microblock alone there's plenty of brightness on tap that I can dial back and control with the tone knob on my guitar and the biggest thing for me is the bass is nice and tight. In addition to the bass not being overly muddy like with most guitar amps I've used, this little cabinet can handle low notes with ease. I don't have to run my Joyo American Sound into the signal chain to dial back the bass and turn up the treble like I did with my old cabinet. The ZT cabinet I was using before would rattle like crazy at higher volumes on low notes. Most of the amps I've had before would rattle on low notes (just about every Fender amp I've owned with the exception of my Vintage Sound 35sc). The Toob Metro 6.5 GP+ is very very well built. It's amazing that this little cab doesn't give out on low notes and still weighs under 4 pounds.

I'm excited to try out new amp heads with this cabinet and also see how this cabinet sounds as an extension with my Vintage Sound 35sc once I'm back home in the US. This cabinet gets 5 stars IMO. I'm glad to have purchased this cabinet to replace the ZT lunchbox cabinet I was using before. No more cabinet rattle, no more boomy bass and muddy tone, and more clarity, all at about half the weight. I usually don't write glowing reviews of gear, but this cabinet might be the last one I buy for a very long time.

Here's a video demo of me playing through this cabinet. It's plenty loud, you might be able to hear my neighbour living above pounding on his floor for me to turn it down. This was recorded using the microphone and camera on my iPhone, unfortunately I don't have a Zoom or a good condenser mic yet. I had the Q knob on the Quilter 45 MB turned up all the way, and the tone knob on my guitar at around 65%.

User Info Menu

Nice-sounding rig! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Sounds really good. Nice playing, too. Thanks for posting this!

User Info Menu

Jesse, thanks for the comments and video, much appreciated. Just to point out that the leg is upside down. There's holes on the cab's sides where the ends of the "M" go.

User Info Menu

The Toob Metro is being featured on the Quilter site in conjunction with the SuperBlock US. Really good video too. That's the sort of promo that will go a long way.

SuperBlock US Quilter Labs

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jim! A lot of buzz and action lately, thanks to the SuperBlocks and gigs resuming here & there. I'm writing this from a jazz camp where there's several units in action. Hope my video material will contain something presentable.

Cheers,
    Markku

User Info Menu

Great news and the indirect support from Quilter is more than well deserved. Whilst I love my 175 through the ToneMaster Deluxe, I now turn to my Toob Metro 6.5BG with a BAM200 amp as my main jazz sound - life is full of happy surprises!

User Info Menu

All of those videos sound great, and it's great to see the Toob getting some attention. But I do find these demo videos more frustrating than helpful because there's no real context or sense of how loud they are. I would love to see this Quilter-Toob combination demoed with a real band (i.e., live drums and bass) playing a variety of tunes and settings to see how much real-world headroom there is and how well it sits in a band sound.
    Last edited by John A.; 07-28-2021 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

With gigs so rare these days, it's difficult to produce quality videos from live situations. You have to trust testimonials. Mine is of course not objective but still: I've spent all week at a jazz camp where several Toobs have been in action. Last night we held a public concert in a ballroom seating 260 people. I played my Emperor Regent through a Quilter SuperBlock US and a Metro 6.5BG, with plenty of headroom to spare. Vocalist, alto sax, second guitarist, electric bass and a heavy-handed drummer in the ensemble. I chose the brighter-sounding guitar on purpose for contrast against my buddy's ES-175/DLR rig. Some cellphone video was taken but I haven't seen it yet.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 07-30-2021 at 01:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Greg Ruggiero is playing at Mezzrow now, livestream of Michael Kanan trio. He's using the Toob 6.5" and some micro head, the video isn't good enough to tell exactly which one. He sounds very good.
    Edit: I think he's using a Quilter. The low resolution video doesn't show me for sure, but it looks like it. There is no doubt he's using a Toob.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 08-01-2021 at 08:38 PM.

User Info Menu

If not a SuperBlock, Greg may be have used a prototype amp built in Eastern Europe to his specs. Tube preamp, on-board reverb, 80W class D, internal power unit. He says the sound is fine but there are other issues and I think the project is at a standstill. I tried to join it with slightly different specs for a Toob combo (external power unit to allow battery operation for buskers) but pulled out when nothing happened for months and the SuperBlocks showed up. Getting Class D amps FCC certified in the US is an expensive process. Not possible for a one-man micro enterprise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    If not a SuperBlock, Greg may be have used a prototype amp built in Eastern Europe to his specs. Tube preamp, on-board reverb, 80W class D, internal power unit. He says the sound is fine but there are other issues and I think the project is at a standstill. I tried to join it with slightly different specs for a Toob combo (external power unit to allow battery operation for buskers) but pulled out when nothing happened for months and the SuperBlocks showed up. Getting Class D amps FCC certified in the US is an expensive process. Not possible for a one-man micro enterprise.
    would that be this thingy?

User Info Menu

I'll ask Greg.

User Info Menu

I don't think that thingie was what he was using last night. I'm pretty sure it was a Superblock, but I can't swear to it. Whatever it was, it sounded very good.

User Info Menu

Yup. The stream in Chris's post must be an older one. The amp on that one is the one-off prototype. Greg still uses it occasionally when he needs more power, but the maker has not responded to our e-mails for months and months. Last night Greg used a SuperBlock US and Metro 6.5GP+ with the 130W SICA speaker. He's also been to studio with that rig and says it gave his best studio tone ever, and far superior to the resident Blues Junior. Greg's main guitar is a 1940s Epiphone with a DeArmond PU. As I understand, he likes quite bright, period perfect tones, which also cut through better given that he plays with his fingers exclusively. BTW, Greg bought his SuperBlock straight from the factory more or less on the day of the release and wasted no time to make the demo video featured on Quilterlabs' FB pages.

User Info Menu

He wasn't playing an Epi last night. I didn't recognize the headstock from the crappy video, poor lighting and angles, but from the soundholes it appears to be some boutique model. I really wish Spike would spring for some better cameras, but it's probably not worth the money when the viewers are in the low twenties.

User Info Menu

The guitar is a McKerrihan - Never heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    He wasn't playing an Epi last night. I didn't recognize the headstock from the crappy video, poor lighting and angles, but from the soundholes it appears to be some boutique model. I really wish Spike would spring for some better cameras, but it's probably not worth the money when the viewers are in the low twenties.
    Good god I’m sure some jazz nerd somewhere would send him some better cameras (and mikes) FOR FREE in exchange for free jazz content. He could do a go fund me or something. He should ask said jazz nerd to donate whatever Emmet Cohen’s using lol…

User Info Menu

Look at that lovely clear footage even on tour

User Info Menu

TBF, Mezzrow is a bar, and the lighting is generally very low, which makes things more difficult. Just more light would help. The camera angles are rather poor, too. The sound is so-so, not great but acceptable most of the time. But sometimes I just give up and turn it off. I'm not about to pay with the current state.