The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    TBF, Mezzrow is a bar, and the lighting is generally very low, which makes things more difficult. Just more light would help. The camera angles are rather poor, too. The sound is so-so, not great but acceptable most of the time. But sometimes I just give up and turn it off. I'm not about to pay with the current state.
    cameras seem to be getting a lot better at dealing with low light levels. I think an upgrade would improve things.

but the sound ain’t great either as you say, and that’s probably pne of the biggest problems. I think Spike was ahead of the game, but the game has moved on a bit…. the last year has really upped the game in terms of streaming.

it’s not necessary to have amazing gear… we did our stream with GoPros, and I suspect that Emmett is using something similar.

Gopros are not the cheapest out there but my $100 Logitech webcam is pretty decent in low light. Tbh even my phone would do a better job lol. In terms of sound if they aren’t going through the desk (I’m not sure?) it might take more mucking around. The webcam I use has some fairly decent mics built in.

anyway it’s obviously wonderful to have all of this jazz content for free, and you can’t really moan too much, but I kind of feel, what’s the point of doing it if not well?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Back to Greg's guitar. He says it was built by Glenn Mkkerrihan some 20 years ago. He does not build anymore. A Biltoft CC pup was recently installed.

Anyone heard of this luthier? Quick googling gave no results.

Edit: This thread has such a nice headline that it's hard to resist keeping it alive
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 08-03-2021 at 04:03 AM.

User Info Menu

My quick googling turned up this rather unflattering thread: Luthier Alert : McKerrihan Guitars
    Guitars 'n' Jazz has one of his for sale. McKerrihan 15 Carved Archtop Guitar - Guitars 'n Jazz
    I have no personal knowledge, never heard of him before. All I know is what the google tells me.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Makes sense. Greg grew up in Arizona.

User Info Menu

6.5....I ordered one...oh yeah and I ran across this

Last edited by BFrench; 08-12-2021 at 06:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Good call - one of the best buys I ever made!

User Info Menu

I've seen no post from anyone who doesn't like the Toob. Gonna go on and get the Quilter SB when they are back in stock. In my locale I have to take a chance and order everything online. I've been fortunate except for one purchase, nothing wrong it just wasn't what I needed tone wise.

User Info Menu

The clip by Mikko Karhula features a TOOB Metro 6.5FR. It works for e.g. acoustic guitar, violin, harmonica, keyboard and vocals. Also a compact stage/personal monitor for modeling amp users. BFrench will be getting the Metro 6.5BG (Bass&Guitar) version, which has a jazzy, thunky tone. Both take 130W, important as small speakers are less efficient. But, as stated on an another thread, the 25W Quilter SuperBlock US and the 6.5BG have no difficulty keeping up in a band with a loud drummer.

User Info Menu

I took the metro with my metro this evening

(I could also have said: took the tube with my Toob)

User Info Menu

Really interested in these cabs, love the innovation, form factor, weight, etc. Has anyone who's gotten one done a direct comparison with the generic open-back American combo cab or extension? I'd be interested in hearing how the Toob compares. Probably most fair to compare to the original 12" open back Toob model, the Metro seems a different beast. Also, it seems many of you are using mini amps (e.g. bass amps or superblocks). Has anyone had any experience with conventional tube guitar amps? How do they work with, say, a small head or lunchbox lower-powered tube amp such as a 5e3? Thanks for any insights you can share.

User Info Menu

@kev, hi! I recently received the 10" Toob, and my main/preferred amps are 6V6 tube heads. Although the Toob is not designed to hold that weight (!), my tube amps sound fantastic through the Toob! I've mentioned elsewhere one of the big differences in sound is the Toob seems "clearer," but not necessarily "brighter," than my other 10" cab. I brought it to a local jazz jam the other week, but the house guitarist just had me plug into his Henriksen amp, so I haven't been able to demo it live, yet -- hopefully soon!
    I definitely recommend writing any questions to Markku - he was quite helpful, and the overseas transaction was a breeze!

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    @kev, hi! I recently received the 10" Toob, and my main/preferred amps are 6V6 tube heads. Although the Toob is not designed to hold that weight (!), my tube amps sound fantastic through the Toob! I've mentioned elsewhere one of the big differences in sound is the Toob seems "clearer," but not necessarily "brighter," than my other 10" cab. I brought it to a local jazz jam the other week, but the house guitarist just had me plug into his Henriksen amp, so I haven't been able to demo it live, yet -- hopefully soon!
    I definitely recommend writing any questions to Markku - he was quite helpful, and the overseas transaction was a breeze!

Marc
    Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m looking at getting a Lil Dawg tweed lunchbox and was hoping the Toobs would be compatible with, well, tubes :-) That would make about as light a tube rig as I could imagine. Certainly never expected anything larger or heavier than the newer class D amps to sit on the platform. I also have a couple of small class D bass amps that probably would, however. I’ll check in with Markku.

User Info Menu

I'm chiming in hesitantly, having "my own cow in the ditch", as the Finnish saying goes. Toobs and Metros were originally developed for urban jazz guitarists and bassists in need of utterly portable gear. The concept stems from 2007, but compatible Class D guitar amps only started to emerge from 2016 onwards. Now there's many to choose from. As well, small 200W bass amps are great for guitar, except they lack on-board reverb. My two sons play rock semi-professionally. Through them, Toobs have been exposed to 100W tube Marshalls and Soldanos. No hiccups. Piggybacking requires a 2X12" setup, though; otherwise any amp/TOOB combination will work. As pointed out by Marcwhy, Toobs are more articulate than conventional cabs. In exchange, they cut through on less power.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear your confirmation of the compatibility with tube amps, thanks for chiming in. I’ll reach out through the contact page on your website for further questions about the logistics of getting one.

User Info Menu

Any recommendations for a TOOB/micro amp combination that would work well for digital keyboard? I play guitar in a couple of big bands where we rehearse in a hollow square, my upward-facing TOOB in the centre, and now both the bassist and the pianist want TOOBs of their own. There are bass versions available, but what about piano?

User Info Menu

Thanks for a good question! The answer depends on the volume required. My old boys band's pianist uses a Roland FP-3, TC Electronic BAM200 amp and a Toob Metro 6.5FR, to good results. Bass speakers are also OK, the 200W Toob 10B reaching up to to 3.5 kHz and the 300W 12B reaching 4 kHz. Finally, there's also the Toob 12D, loaded with a 150W Jensen N12D semi-FRFR speaker. That one is meant mainly for modeling amps and steel guitar. While the 200W bass amps offer enough power, there's a world of a volume difference between the 92 dB 6.5" speakers and the 99-100 dB 12-inchers.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 11-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Gitterbug for getting me my Metro 6.5GP - it is sitting on my desk at work waiting for me to decide on how to power it - very cool and well-designed product and pleasure talking to you about it; I went with the Eminence Alphalite 6A speaker option.

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times here but can anyone help steer me on a pedal amp to drive it? I am waffling between a BAM200 (I've owned lots of TC stuff and always enjoyed their product) and a Quilter Superblock US. But I am open to other suggestions.

If I went the BAM route, I would pair it with a Strymon Flint that I already own for Verb (and tremolo but infrequently). The Quilter with its onboard verb could take any pedals out of the mix. How do peoiple find the onboard reverb? My only other hesitation with the Quilter is really whether 25w will afford enough clean headroom. And want to make sure I'm not missing any other options.

I'm looking to build a grab and go for practice/jams etc. Thinking clean sounds 90%+ of the time. Happy to run a drive pedal in front if I ever need to get a little hair, although I suppoose that's unnecessary with the Quilter. Thanks and apologies in advance if I'm soliciting advice that's already been covered before. Just looking for the quick and dirty advice on a pedal-sized amp to get me rolling.

Finally, can recommend a carrying case/bag for a Metro 6.5? Cheers

User Info Menu

Hey Magnut,
    Congrats on the new Toob! I have a 10S, and it's great! I'd prefer the SB US over the BAM; great guitar sounds, and it's quite loud!

It's OK to be creative with carrying cases; I had a 1x8 cab that came in a freezer bag! Fit perfectly!

Toob Metro Speakers-rev-cool-jpg

User Info Menu

Some sort of drum case should work, depending on the exact dimensions of the cabinet.

User Info Menu

I've looked into carrying options suitable for the Metros. Bags for music gear or sports are typically oversize/overweight/overkill. Mind you, the cab-microamp combination typically weighs around 7 lbs, so anything with handles will do the job. My volumes don't support something bespoke to be stitched together somewhere in Asia, then shipped to Finland and on to all over the world, including back to Asia.

Backpacks seem to be popular among Metro users relying on public transit or bike. IKEA, for example, has a wide selection. An alternative could be found from camera stores, although camera bags typically include redundant (fortunately removable) partitioning walls and other features that drive up the price. Of course, one padded wall between the cab and the amp would make sense, plus a zipper pocket for cables etc. I actually use an ordinary fabric shopping bag.

Cheers,
    Markku

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I've looked into carrying options suitable for the Metros. Bags for music gear or sports are typically oversize/overweight/overkill. Mind you, the cab-microamp combination typically weighs around 7 lbs, so anything with handles will do the job. My volumes don't support something bespoke to be stitched together somewhere in Asia, then shipped to Finland and on to all over the world, including back to Asia.

Backpacks seem to be popular among Metro users relying on public transit or bike. IKEA, for example, has a wide selection. An alternative could be found from camera stores, although camera bags typically include redundant (fortunately removable) partitioning walls and other features that drive up the price. Of course, one padded wall between the cab and the amp would make sense, plus a zipper pocket for cables etc. I actually use an ordinary fabric shopping bag.

Cheers,
    Markku
    I've been using gear bags for lighting equipment and percussion for years to carry my stuff. They're much less expensive than bags from amp manufacturers, and they're just as good. Meinl has a large line of bags in all shapes and sizes that are well suited to small amps and speakers. I have one of their small cajon bags - it fits my Little Jazz perfectly. Their small percussion backpack looks like a great way to carry a Toob, a small head, and cables. And there are drum bags in almost every size combination from 8x8" up to bass drums. This Road Runner tom-tom bag comes in 8x8, 9x10, 11x13 and larger sizes. I suspect that a 6.5" Metro will fit in the 9x10 with a small head on the platform. Or you could put a circular piece of good closed cell foam over the face or back of the Toob to carry a head and cables in the same bag -

Toob Metro Speakers-tom_bag-jpg

Chauvet, Rockville and others make excellent bags for portable stage lighting components. I bought one of each for my 8" RevSound and Vox cabinets, and they both also fit my Little Jazz with enough room for the Elf or the D V Mark Raw Dawg plus cables. The Rockville is a bit better made, but both will hold up for a long time.

Toob Metro Speakers-chauvet_bag-jpg Toob Metro Speakers-rockville_bag-jpg

If you're in the mood and market for a top quality custom bag, contact Studio Slips. I've been getting my custom bags from them since the '90s and have never been less than thrilled with their service or their products. SS is still owned and operated by the founders (the Bendinellis) - give them a call and they'll be very happy to talk to you about your options. I suspect that a 6.5" Toob case from SS would cost about $100 and a 12" case about $150. But their stuff will outlive all of us and look better on its way into the grave than any of us will

joelf Guest
    I had an earlier Toob model. I bought it for portability, not having a car then.

I found the sound with the head borderline muddy. Didn't dig it, and sold it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I had an earlier Toob model. I bought it for portability, not having a car then.

I found the sound with the head borderline muddy. Didn't dig it, and sold it...
    Hi, Joel! Which head?

User Info Menu

In case Joel doesn't respond, it was a GSS one-tube amp, which the original owner of the set disliked. He sold the combination because a new telescopic Toob was incoming and there just wasn't the need or home space for extra cabs. With the introduction of the Metros, there was again. Joel's guitar at the time was (and probably still is) a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. I had a short love affair with that guitar, hoping it would be great for big band comping. The project dried out and I soon found the P-90 overly trebly/stingy. The guitar is still part of my test arsenal but not a gigging tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    In case Joel doesn't respond, it was a GSS one-tube amp, which the original owner of the set disliked. He sold the combination because a new telescopic Toob was incoming and there just wasn't the need or home space for extra cabs. With the introduction of the Metros, there was again. Joel's guitar at the time was (and probably still is) a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. I had a short love affair with that guitar, hoping it would be great for big band comping. The project dried out and I soon found the P-90 overly trebly/stingy. The guitar is still part of my test arsenal but not a gigging tool.
    Do you mean that tiny one (about 5" square,12W into 8 ohms, with one 12AX7)? I've never heard any of their products. I hope they're top notch, since as I recall they're very expensive for what you seem to get. The last time I saw Joel was at our club, and he sat in with us on his Godin playing through the cleean channel of our tweed Blues Deluxe. He sounded really fine!