The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I've got my eyes on a second hand Epiphone ES175. The titel says it's the ES-175 VS Limited Edition Custom Shop. It's from 2006 from the Unsung plant. I'm not sure what the difference with the 'regular' Epiphone from this year is, but is this the version with the better hardware and Gibson pups?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Searching further, I'm starting to wonder if the 'Ltd edition CS' is the same as the ES 175 Premium. It probably isn't, right?

User Info Menu

I don't know. I have the ES175 Premium and it's a honey of a guitar. I actually am thinking of selling it since I have way too many 165/175 types of guitars, but it's a hard guitar to put down once I pick it up! Out of the box, it needed nothing. The Classic 57 pickups were perfect, the controls just right for me. Mine was discounted because it had some weather checking in the finish. Make sure you get the "right" Epi ES175. The old ones generally need a pickup refresh and the electronics are only so-so.

User Info Menu

I've never heard of a "limited edition custom shop" Epi, but I might need to get out more. My Epi ES175 Premium is also a keeper. I truly feel that it's the equal of a Gibson in every way except the name on the headstock. I did change the bridge for a rosewood saddle, because I think the tune-o-matic is too bright, but that's the same for any archtop I've tried.

User Info Menu

I have an Epi 175 VS and it is NOT the same as the Premium. It came with Epi pups, not 57 Classics. Mine was second-hand and although I loved the neck, scale length and body depth, the electronics were a mess. I swapped all the pots for audio taper CTS ones, new Switchcraft selector switch and output jack and added a Stewmac Parson Street Golden Age PAF (on Lawson Stone’s recommendation) in the neck. Now, it’s a really fun and sweet sounding box. It feels great, sounds great and has the classic 175 look without dropping too much coin. I added amber Gibson top hats and an antique white selector switch knob just to satisfy an aesthetic itch. quick question about the Epiphone ES-175-c95e459d-56ca-4d6e-979b-574a1dab5ac5-jpg

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I don't know. I have the ES175 Premium and it's a honey of a guitar. I actually am thinking of selling it since I have way too many 165/175 types of guitars, but it's a hard guitar to put down once I pick it up! Out of the box, it needed nothing. The Classic 57 pickups were perfect, the controls just right for me. Mine was discounted because it had some weather checking in the finish. Make sure you get the "right" Epi ES175. The old ones generally need a pickup refresh and the electronics are only so-so.
    Does it say 'Premium' somewhere on the headstock or on the label inside?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Does it say 'Premium' somewhere on the headstock or on the label inside?
    The truss rod cover says "ES 175 Premium" but I know of no other external marker. The Class 57 pickups are a pretty good indicator.

Also, the Premium was only made for a few years, maybe 2014-2017 or so. Someone else might have the years more precise than that.

This has me thinking now about going ahead and putting mine on the For Sale forum. Gotta thin the herd!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Just one more thought... I know of folks who bought the ES175 Premium at a discount. Guitar Center was selling them at one point for about $500 each! Folks would buy them, take out the Gibson Classic 57 pickups, and sell those separately. Then they'd mount cheap pickups in the Epi and sell it. Unwary buyers thought they were getting the Gibson pickups and some made a very unhappy discovery.

If you buy an Epi ES175 Premium you need to verify the pickups are the Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Just one more thought... I know of folks who bought the ES175 Premium at a discount. Guitar Center was selling them at one point for about $500 each! Folks would buy them, take out the Gibson Classic 57 pickups, and sell those separately. Then they'd mount cheap pickups in the Epi and sell it. Unwary buyers thought they were getting the Gibson pickups and some made a very unhappy discovery.

If you buy an Epi ES175 Premium you need to verify the pickups are the Gibsons.
    I bought a used Premium last summer, actually a 2nd that was refurbished, I guess, by MIRC. (Its serial number is covered with a sticker and has 2nd stamped on the back of the headstock.)

quick question about the Epiphone ES-175-received_332999044055475-jpg

I had the shop verify that the pickups were the US 57 Classics before I bought it. I had my eye on another MIRC Premium at a Music Go Round, but the pickups were the Epiphone branded ones (glad I checked--it had the Premium truss rod cover).

I'm glad I checked with you guys before buying. Once again, thanks everybody!

User Info Menu

If you get a "real" one, you'll have a guitar that punches way, way above it's weight. Speaking of which... the Epi ES175 Premium doesn't have that heavy mass that the new Gibson ES175s have. It feels more like the VOS1959 models and older 175s. My contemporary 175s weigh about 7.75 pounds, the VOS weighs 6.5 pounds, and the Epi 175 weighs the same, 6.5 pounds. If you like the lighter sounding 175, you'll like the Epi. Also has a slimmer neck.