The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

2 les paul specials, the only major build difference is one has a wraparound bridge (TV Yellow one), and the tho other (Honeyburst) a tune o matic.

What are your thoughts on these two bridge types in general, and on this type of guitar in general (Les Paul Special w/ P-90s)? Is the TV Yellow one worth 400$ more? Which one do you like?

Other differences:

Honeyburst: 1,200$
    -TOM bridge
    -Vintage keystone style tuners
    - 42.8 mm (1.687 in) TUSQ nut
    - Gig Bag

TV Yellow: 1,600
    - Vintage Wraparound bridge
    -Deluxe White Key Tuners
    -43mm (1.69 in) Graph Tech nut
    - Hardshell Case

I know a LP special isn't exactly a jazz guitar, but this website is fantastic for getting fair, experienced opinions on guitars like this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wraparound bridge has a sound...tho harder to intonate and keep in fine tune

tuneamatic with bar bridge..gives a bit more flexibility...but with slightly different tone

certain gibbys work best with wraparound..for true vintage tone...

really depends what you are going for...precision or wild abandon!! haha

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers
    2 les paul specials, the only major build difference is one has a wraparound bridge (TV Yellow one), and the tho other (Honeyburst) a tune o matic.
    What are your thoughts on these two bridge types in general, and on this type of guitar in general (Les Paul Special w/ P-90s)? Is the TV Yellow one worth 400$ more? Which one do you like?
    Other differences:
    -TOM bridge
    - Gig Bag
    -Deluxe White Key Tuners
    - Hardshell Case
    I know a LP special isn't exactly a jazz guitar, but this website is fantastic for getting fair, experienced opinions on guitars like this.
    The honeyburst is not a Les Paul Special. It is an abomination concocted by some idjits at Gibson trying to train consumers into buying cheaper guitars by abusing the LP Special nomenclature. Les Paul Special DNA includes:
    -2 x soapbar P-90s
    -slab bodies made of mahogany. Limba, koa and primavera are acceptable.
    -wraptail bridges

The TV Yellow is a real Les Paul Special.
    There are several excellent wraptail bridges that solve any intonation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The honeyburst is not a Les Paul Special. It is an abomination concocted by some idjits at Gibson trying to train consumers into buying cheaper guitars by abusing the LP Special nomenclature. Les Paul Special DNA includes:
    -2 x soapbar P-90s
    -slab bodies made of mahogany. Limba, koa and primavera are acceptable.
    -wraptail bridges

The TV Yellow is a real Les Paul Special.
    There are several excellent wraptail bridges that solve any intonation issues.
    Oh very interesting, I think we all likely know where that honeyburst is ha ha and yes it is an exclusive to "that store".

I am comparing the spec sheets of the two and they both say they have "Nitro finished Mahogany bodies". They also both simply say they have "Dual Gibson P-90 pickups with individual controls and 3-way switch". (Obviously they have different bridges) I will admit though that the specs aren't very descriptive. So just to clarify I will link them both.
    Gibson Les Paul Special P-90 Limited Edition Electric Guitar Honey Burst | Guitar Center

Gibson Les Paul Special Electric Guitar TV Yellow | Guitar Center

I guess my point is that the honey burst seems to check all the boxes of the DNA, except that bridge. Or is that your point?

PLEASE understand I'm not trying to argue with just trying to learn how to spot these differences so I can learn. THANKS for your time!

User Info Menu

So I love the wraptail idea best,especially PRS version. But I have found a happy medium that works just as well for sustain on my Gibson's. I ditched the tuneomatic for Wayne Compton bridge. I have several even one on my Elferink Tonemaster archtop instead of the ebony bridge.
    Sustain and tome have improved remarkably!

Comptonbridges. com

User Info Menu

even wraparound bridges with well thought out individual saddles, ultimately give less flexibility/tweakability than a tuneamatic with bar tailpiece...the latter gives more variation of tension..why the wraparounds were basically reduced to student level type guitars...or nowadays retro guitars

the original les paul being the first and foremost...to hit it and quit it

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers

Other differences:

-TOM bridge
    - Gig Bag

-Deluxe White Key Tuners
    - Hardshell Case

I had a Les Paul Studio DC with a wraparound (uncompensated) bridge. It played perfectly in tune, so it can be done. I haven't played a LP Special style guitar enough to have a strong opinion. Between those two, I'd have to play them to decide, though I prefer the look of the TV style. A guy I know plays jazz on one. It's a sound. It's not the sound I would go for, but it's a sound.

John

User Info Menu

with utmost respect brother, to have a guitar that intonates perfectly up and down the neck with a non compensated bridge is a true miracle...may be good enough for your wants...but for a luthier or a tech trying to fine tune..its a real quagmire!!!...

close enough for rock and roll is the old saying...but not for me...(chet baker) hah

cheers

User Info Menu

The one with the stopbar looks identical (save the color) to a "55/78" reissue LP I had. Helluva nice guitar. I liked so much I bought it twice (long story). Warm but clear tones, not that heavy, excellent intonation. But that was 40+ years ago; I cannot speak to the current product. Downside: You'll get a lot of "Lemme play your guitar." Fair warning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    with utmost respect brother, to have a guitar that intonates perfectly up and down the neck with a non compensated bridge is a true miracle...may be good enough for your wants...but for a luthier or a tech trying to fine tune..its a real quagmire!!!...

close enough for rock and roll is the old saying...but not for me...(chet baker) hah

cheers
    Perfectly in tune, and a 24-fret neck to boot. Ok maybe not "perfect," since that doesn't exist with guitars, but "indistinguishably from my guitars with compensated bridges, to my ears and my tuners." Somehow, lightning struck.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    I've only ever been able to choose frets where intonation would be bad

User Info Menu

Because...pictures!
    My favourite Les Paul Special, as interpreted by Prairiewood Guitars, based on his personal '57 Special. With Steve Kersting pickups (AlNiCo V slug pup in neck), primavera body, BR board, Italian celluloid scratchplate, French Polish finish:

User Info Menu

Bob Marley's Les Paul Special had mods including TOM bridge and stop tail.