The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have a pretty strange question for sure. I have a solo gig coming up that will be totally acoustic. My Epiphone Masterbilt Century Deluxe will be my most likely guitar of choice. It has great projection and volume. However, I am used to using it with a small amp for added push and some tone enhancement like a touch of reverb etc.

For this gig, I have no interest in effects. I want to be totally "organic." Normally I use pure nickel strings to get what I want from the added pick guard hum bucker, but that is not an option. I am guessing that bronze acoustic strings will help me squeeze out the most volume. I will be playing finger style and chord melody. A pick might help me get more but some tunes will require regular finger picking technique. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But you're still going to use an amp? Did I get that right? If so, you might consider Dr zebra strings. Half nickel, half bronze, so you get acoustic tone and electric tone at the same time. It's an interesting compromise.

I never used full on acoustic strings on my gretsch g400 so I couldn't tell you if they are louder than the average string, but they certainly aren't much quieter, if not equal.

User Info Menu

If it is to be totally acoustic, other strings may increase volume slightly, but not significantly. New strings which ring brighter will project better. A stiff pick with some pick clicking will also help projection. What can really increase volume is raising the action and plying with a more forcefull attack. However, it will likely take some time getting used to the higher action, but it's not at all impossible (think Freddie Green).

How about miking the guitar and play through some PA like amp or the house PA (if it's available)? Forum member Campusfive wrote some informative posts about it a year or so ago and you could do a search for his name.

Trying NOT to use any kind of amplification. It will be a fairly small and intimate venue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Trying NOT to use any kind of amplification. It will be a fairly small and intimate venue
    I see two solutions if you want to get more volume than the guitar produces without electric amplification:
    - a system of contact with the guitar body and a resonator, pin of the type used by John Galbraith, or DIY with contact with the body of the guitar

- an acoustic improvement of the room where you will play: resonating panels, etc. ask a technician of the acoustics of the rooms

in the first case, you change the issued volume, in the second, the perceived volume

User Info Menu

Is it a performance, or are you background music?? Even if it were small and intimate, with people socializing, they won't hear you (much) without an amp.

The stories of Jim Hall were that he would set the amp volume right at the spot where you can hear the acoustic sound of the guitar and the amplified sound; nothing wrong with a little amp coming through!

[Have fun at the gig!]

User Info Menu

IME steel strings are as loud as bronze. Not the same tone, but very nearly the same volume. It depends on the guitar, but on my Wu I think the steel strings are perhaps louder. I used pure nickel strings for a long time, but after switching to a set of nickel-plated steel strings I haven't looked back. I've also tried monel, nickel bronze, and whatever I could find. I like the D'Addario XL .013 set. Loud acoustically without being too bright and brittle, and even string response amplified.

User Info Menu

I just tried Thomastik plectrum acoustic strings. 11's. I'm 90% acoustic. Eastman ar805ce works super acoustically, much more volume. Great response electric, I did turn down a few screws to balance. very pleased with results.
    Rick

User Info Menu

I play at a weekly acoustic jam. It can get so loud and raucous at times that I switched from fingerstyle to plectrum!
    My go to instrument for the jam is a J-45 custom dreadnot. For a while my preference was for D'addario EXP phosphor bronze, but now I am playing Cleartone phosphor bronze, which I find to be louder & they last forever.

User Info Menu

If I’m not too late I’ll suggest, if your playing style can handle it, a thinner pick (than many of us use) if not actually louder, will accentuate the higher frequencies and perhaps cut through better to be perceived as louder.

User Info Menu

80/20's.

User Info Menu

I have a pretty strange question for sure. I have a solo gig coming up that will be totally acoustic. My Epiphone Masterbilt Century Deluxe will be my most likely guitar of choice. It has great projection and volume. However, I am used to using it with a small amp for added push and some tone enhancement like a touch of reverb etc.

For this gig, I have no interest in effects. I want to be totally "organic." Normally I use pure nickel strings to get what I want from the added pick guard hum bucker, but that is not an option. I am guessing that bronze acoustic strings will help me squeeze out the most volume. I will be playing finger style and chord melody. A pick might help me get more but some tunes will require regular finger picking technique. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
    I’ve done quite a lot of acoustic only gigs.

Anything you do will be a moot point if you have a noisy audience. If you have a quiet audience OTOH they will listen.

If it’s a function - so long as you can hear yourself a bit, that’s the main thing. The amp will help. Most people have no idea what they want, so start acoustic and when they say they can’t hear it, smile smugly and produce your amp.

fingerstyle might get a bit lost, but depends on the audience. In general I think it’s good to be able to adapt to pick playing if necessary.

I would recommend nickel bronzes. They don’t seem as loud as phosphor bronzes but PBs start of super bright and go rusty quite quick. NBs start as they mean to go on and are also lower tension which is nice (easier to play)

don’t be fooled by the low end of PBs.

Honestly it depends on the style of music and the situation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    If I’m not too late I’ll suggest, if your playing style can handle it, a thinner pick (than many of us use) if not actually louder, will accentuate the higher frequencies and perhaps cut through better to be perceived as louder.
    interesting suggestion. It could be an EQ issue. The main range of the guitar is where people talk. Upper frequencies might help.