The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi,

Recently I bought this pretty blonde from 1945 (according to the serial).
    It's in pretty good condition (no cracks, straight neck, tight binding) but it has some issues also (I suspect a refin at some point, a repaired seam on the back not very well done,bridge has been glued to the top...)

I think she needs a pickguard too.
    Any tips on where to get a repro guard for this guitar (preferably in Europe)

Thanks,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!

It tears at my heart that the bridge base is glued to the top. I don’t think that base is original either. If it were me I would have to see if my luthier could detach the bridge without causing any damage. I couldn’t handle that.

Have you tried with Thomann or someone like that? Do they carry Allparts pickguards?

User Info Menu

I don't know about the bridge bass, but apparently they came with maple basses on the natural finished models in those days.
    Yeah, not happy about it being glued either...luckily the intonation is good.

User Info Menu

The base of the bridge is probably original (pear wood)......lovely guitar congratulations.

User Info Menu

Contact forum member Fsw6. He makes superb guards.

User Info Menu

Regardless of any issues, you’re a lucky guy. Those blonde Triumphs are gorgeous. Not having a pickguard, you could opt for an upgrade. I put a mid 30s Deluxe style pickguard on mine because the original was deteriorating.

Epiphone Triumph-41a1e7e1-7e92-4eb3-941e-6acd099532cf-jpg

Mine was ordered from Fox guitars in the US. Sorry I don’t know any EU options

User Info Menu

It is not maple but pearwood like AGM / Drew sais

also the sunburst guitars often had pearwood bridge bases, but those were dyed dark brown to look like rosewood. On blonde guitars, the bridge base was left natural

the saddle always was Brazilian rosewood

I have just made a pearwood base / rosewood saddle bridge for my own blonde Epiphone

i have sent you a PM on making a guard

Epiphone Triumph-2de678d6-bb0b-45e0-9668-eb2b55eab83e-jpg

User Info Menu

It's a beautiful instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Good chance you can heat the bridge base and it will come off. Can use and ordinary iron used for clothing and protect around the top with thick cardboard. Just need it to come up like taking off a flatop bridge. I have special thin spatula i use they come off pretty easy really.

User Info Menu

I wasn’t aware of pear wood being used as early as ‘45. I thought that started a little later. Anyone know how early documented pear wood bases being used? Any chance this one has a serial number on the base?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I wasn’t aware of pear wood being used as early as ‘45. I thought that started a little later. Anyone know how early documented pear wood bases being used? Any chance this one has a serial number on the base?
    Based on my extensive research in vintage Epiphone instruments: blond bridge bases on blond guitars became common by 1945. There are examples on earlier guitars but not sure if original.

On my website you find more info about pre-Gibson Epis than you probably ever wanted to know ... :
    NY Epi Reg - The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry

Felix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Masterbilt
    Based on my extensive research in vintage Epiphone instruments: blond bridge bases on blond guitars became common by 1945. There are examples on earlier guitars but not sure if original.

On my website you find more info about pre-Gibson Epis than you probably ever wanted to know ... :
    NY Epi Reg - The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry

Felix
    Thank you, Felix! Believe me, I have spent a lot of time on your site, but not nearly enough.

Btw, I fairly recently became the caretaker of a ‘46 Emperor that was out of use for the last 40 years and out of circulation since, well, 1946. Of course that means it’s not in the registry. I’ve been meaning to email you.

User Info Menu

Hi Geert, wonderful acquisition! I dream of finding an old Epi like that around my place! If you find informations about pickguards in the EU, please do post or PM me. I’m on the hunt too, but I haven’t gone down the Fox route because with shipping costs it makes for a pricey addition for my humble Loar...

Anyway: congrats for your beautiful guitar

User Info Menu

Thanks Radiofm,

For my (humble but great) Loar I got an 'L5' model pickguard from allparts, fits great.

User Info Menu

I got a 1945 triumph too - fantastic guitar. I’ve used archtop.com in the past and am based in the UK - they didn’t have a problem shipping to the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi Felix (if you're still visiting this topic)...

I have a damaged 1941 blonde Blackstone that has a blonde bridge base (18421) stamped on the underside. Matches the guitar serial number.
    The base has some striped figure in it that makes me think maple. If pearwood ever has figure then perhaps thats what it is.
    Looks like a rosewood saddle.

Unfortunately this guitar has a big hole in the top....I purchased it for parts but always imagine some sort of masterful graft from a donor and a black finish might bring it back some day. Another Black Blackstone.....why not?

Oddly enough it also had one of those large flat nickel tailpieces with the cutouts and the engraved "Epiphone" on the crosspiece as seen on circa 1936-37 Triumphs. That thing's in the tailpiece drawer waiting for the right guitar in need to come along. Might be awhile!

Anyway.....congrats to the OP on acquiring a nice old Triumph!

User Info Menu

Hi zizala

interesting to hear about your Blackstone #18421 - that's the first pre-war example I have documented having a serial number stamped blonde bridge base... has the guitar got a "green" label inside?
    Regarding the wood of these bases: At least some of the blonde ones look maple to me - attached an example. The saddle part is generally rosewood.
    Good luck with bringing the Blackstone back to life ...

Felix

Epiphone Triumph-55608_38-jpg

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Im relatively new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a 1947 Triumph on hold at a local shop her in my Home town of Missoula MT. The shop is Greg Boyd’s House of Fine Instruments. I cannot say enough good stuff about Greg and the shop, Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments - Vintage & Handmade Instruments & Accessories, check them out if your really into some killer flattops, Banjos and Mandolins.
    typically he doesn’t have many Archtops but he just got seven in from a local estate and one is the Triumph. I’ve been playing it for a few days now and I decided to put it on hold but I want one more play on the guitar before I make the deal. The strings on the guitar are dead, old and steel or nickel ( not sure there) and feel like 12s. The guitar sounds good as is but I want to put on some 80/20 bronze strings. I run these on a Kalamazoo KG31 in the 13-56 gauge and they sound great, they really bring everything out of the guitar. On that guitar 12s sound thin and the volume is weak, it is a world of difference. Should I go for 13s on the Triumph or 12s. I’m asking because I have read about the raised fretboard Archtops not really benefiting from 13s as apposed to 12s because the tension on the top from the design. Suggestions?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

in 1947 when that guitar was made...12's would have been considered extra slinky!!!...no doubt if the structural integrity of the guitar has been maintained and intact it can easily handle 13's and beyond!

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes, I say go for the 13-56 gauges. My own preference, on my different vintage Epis('36 to '47) is phospher bronze, but 80/20 will work too. They were built for at least what we call mediums: 12/54, and nickel composition, would be underwhelming, IMO.

User Info Menu

Structurally I have no doubt that the guitar will handle a heavier set of strings. Mainly I’m thinking about tone with 12s vs 13s. I think I’ll go with 13s and see how it sounds.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

I kept thinking of this and I think I'd start with 12's....I also think trying the 80/20's is a good idea....,...And if you find the volume is satisfactory, the 12's will be easier on the top.......
    ....and I believe that Triumph is a long scale, so don't be surprised if 13's just aren't a good fit...I found that out on my '52 L-7.....also a long scale.....and skinny frets.....

......Good luck.......

User Info Menu

Welcome to Vintage Epi world! I absolutely adore my 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent. I gig with it totally acoustically in smaller, intimate venues with a horn player.

I have used the D'A Phosphor Bronze EJ17 (13-56) set on it for many years, after experimenting with several different sets.

Good luck with your new Triumph-they are great guitars!
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone Triumph-unplugged-jpg