The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28
    I bought two DV Mark little jazz amps and both had the same problem:

TLDR: When connecting mp3 aux in the amp was giving out random background noice whithin 3-10 second intervals.

I tested with different devices, different professional 3.5mm cables. First time I noticed the problem- I sent the amp back to thomann.de and bought new one, and surprise, surprise - same problem 2nd time.
    I went to our local music store and professional sound engineers tested it and said that there's something wrong with the circuit.

I lost my faith in this brand since then. Tried to contact the DV Mark headquarters and they did not offer any solution and said than it was the 1st time they hear something like that happening. If you try to google this problem - you will find out that this is an very common problem. When I referenced the topics with the same problem - they just ignored it.

Just giving heads up for all, who are considering to buy this amp. I red in this forum, that there are a lot of positive feedback about this solid state amp. My question to all owners is - have you tested the aux in port and if so - does it work fine?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I was about to buy this amp. It is one of few which I'm considering.

Amp does work normal without that aux in error?

I pretty much don't care about aux in.

If only aux in is broken, I couldn't care any less.

Everything else works normal?

Yes, everything else worked fine, the amp sounded very good!

But I would consider this factor - could it be that the background noise is because of poor choice of materials and if so - could the amp have any future longevity problems because of it.

User Info Menu

Could be like, wiring in amp issue. Impendance issue. Phone sync with amp issue.

If you are using phone, It would be usefull for you to try like mp3 player.

But we can rule out wiring issue for sure.

I'm pretty sure DV Mark is serious company, and they wouldn't allow wiring defects on tons of their amps.

I guess it's some sort of sync impendance issue.

User Info Menu

I have a relatively new DV Mark Little Jazz amp (less than 6 months old, purchased online from Guitar Center or Musicians Friend, I think). I have tested the aux input and did not observe the problem you describe. Do you hear it both through the speaker and with headphones connected? I don't normally use the aux in of the DVMLJ, however - I only tested it when I first received the amp to confirm functionality of all the features. In my current setup I typically use a small desktop mixer to blend my guitar with backing tracks into headphones. When I'm practicing without phones, I use the DVMLJ for my guitar only, and send the backing tracks to a Yamaha THR10 which is currently serving as my 'stereo'. But now you have me curious so I plan to check the aux input on my DVMLJ again tonight. I'll try with a few different sources - iPhone, iPad, computer headphone-out jack. I'll post again with the results. Sorry you have run into this problem with the DVMLJs you have purchased. One thought - I'm in the US and operating the amp on 120V. I am guessing you may be in a country where the line voltage is 240V. I wonder if the problem is more likely to manifest when the amp runs on 240V vs. 120V. I'm not an electronics whiz, so maybe that's a silly suggestion. Just thought I'd throw it out as a possibility.

User Info Menu

If you run it in missed matched voltage, I'm pretty sure amp would burn out and fry itself instantly.
    So always run it in voltage for your country.
    Europe is 240V, USA 120V.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzplayer123

TLDR: When connecting mp3 aux in the amp was giving out random background noice whithin 3-10 second intervals.

I tested with different devices, different professional 3.5mm cables. First time I noticed the problem- I sent the amp back to thomann.de and bought new one, and surprise, surprise - same problem 2nd time.
    I went to our local music store and professional sound engineers tested it and said that there's something wrong with the circuit.

I lost my faith in this brand since then. Tried to contact the DV Mark headquarters and they did not offer any solution and said than it was the 1st time they hear something like that happening. If you try to google this problem - you will find out that this is an very common problem. When I referenced the topics with the same problem - they just ignored it.

Just giving heads up for all, who are considering to buy this amp. I red in this forum, that there are a lot of positive feedback about this solid state amp. My question to all owners is - have you tested the aux in port and if so - does it work fine?
    I've got 2 of the DV Mark Micro50 heads (the Jazz amp is based on it) and had a Little Jazz, never heard this sound you mention. Are you certain it is not coming from your device? I also notice if I have the cable in the aux input but not plugged into anything on the other end, there are noises. But connected to a source, mine is quiet. Sometimes my iPad or iPhone (which I use for backing tracks) do pick up stray noises and send them to the amp, but I"ve not heard the amp doing that.

User Info Menu

Also, could be phone issue.

When someone calls me on phone.
    I have PC sound via music stereo player.

I do get strange sounds.

I get same sound when someone is texting me also.

So it could be interference issue also.

If you have an mp3 player, try it via mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Also, could be phone issue.

When someone calls me on phone.
    I have PC sound via music stereo player.

I do get strange sounds.

I get same sound when someone is texting me also.

So it could be interference issue also.

If you have an mp3 player, try it via mp3 player.
    I tried it with android devices, iOs devices, desktop computers etc. and also did A/B testing with other solid state amp - like Fender Mustang 1.
    Even took the 2nd amp to store, where engineering professionals did the same testing with their own devices.

User Info Menu

Regular mp3 player device, like this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SS350_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Regular mp3 player device, like this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SS350_.jpg
    all of the devices used for testing worked just fine with fender mustang 1.

User Info Menu

You might get some help from this thread.

DV Mark Little Jazz Aux Input

User Info Menu

Could you provide a link to other problem reports? My google searching isn't turning up anything except a thread on this forum (linked already).

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You might get some help from this thread.

Red it. Well.. what can I say - DV Mark lost me as a client.
    The time and energy I spent on trying to solve this issue. Just not worth it.
    I mean - they are not beginner/low end amps, the fact, that they have this sort of issue is not normal.

User Info Menu

I've had a Little Jazz for several years, and never had that problem with it. I don't use the aux input a lot, but when I do, it works as designed. If you don't want to buy one, there are many other makes and models available.

User Info Menu

I had a problem with my aux input. I explained it in that other thread.

I never got a response from the company.

I never diagnosed or solved the problem.

When I want to play along with a backing track I use a separate device for the backing track.

User Info Menu

I also use a separate device to play tracks. The aux input is mostly useless to me. But I suppose there are people with no other device that can play music.

User Info Menu

Ok I tested my DVMLJ aux input tonight, using the headphone out jack from my laptop and from my iPad. I couldn’t test with my iPhone because I realized that my new-ish iPhone has no headphone jack, just the lightning connector lol. The audio from both sources I tested came through clearly on the amp, with no noise similar to what the OP described. I was reminded that the aux in volume is only controlled by adjusting volume on the source, not using the master volume on the DVMLJ.

User Info Menu

I just tested mine using an MP3 player, an iPad, and a phone. All worked perfectly, no odd noises. The only problem was that the output from my phone (a cheap android) was much louder than the other two devices, I had to turn the phone volume down to the lowest possible level.

I used this standard stereo audio cable from the headphone output of the devices into the AUX in on the Little Jazz.

DV Mark Little Jazz problem (heads up, if you're considering to buy)-a37079b5-4737-48e0-9501-6ce3ae2c68dd-jpg

User Info Menu

Mine worked fine if I plugged it in when the phone was already playing back an mp3. When the song finished, the noise came back.

It would seem to suggest a problem with the phone. However, I often use that phone to drive headphones and an old home stereo (I go from the mini phone plug to rca jacks). It works fine in both of those applications.

Could you provide a link to other problem reports? My google searching isn't turning up anything except a thread on this forum (linked already).

User Info Menu

I knew about that thread-I linked to it above. You gave the impression that if we google we'd see widespread examples of this problem. I haven't found that, so I think I must be searching the wrong way. Can you direct us to the widespread occurrences? The linked thread also contained a solution. It turned out to be the wrong number of conductors in the cable.

I knew about that thread-I linked to it above. You gave the impression that if we google we'd see widespread examples of this problem. I haven't found that, so I think I must be searching the wrong way. Can you direct us to the widespread occurrences? The linked thread also contained a solution. It turned out to be the wrong number of conductors in the cable.
    thats the exact topic I refered to DV Mark about year ago. Is it wide spread? Well, maybe no, but I would still suggest to test the aux in for everyone, before buying.

User Info Menu

thats the exact topic I refered to DV Mark about year ago. Is it wide spread? Well, maybe no, but I would still suggest to test the aux in for everyone, before buying.
    I agree the Aux input needs to be checked. I never had the noise problem, but the input seems to me to be very fragile. The plug was always a bit loose in the input, and one of mine has just stopped working. I can wiggle the plug and it cuts in and out, but I think it's not very robust.

I love the DVMark amp, but I use the Aux input a lot and I need it to be robust, so I'm with you on the criticism of that feature, just a different problem!

User Info Menu

On mine the plug fits correctly and snugly into the aux socket, but the whole aux socket seems to have a sort of flexible movement to it, compared to the surface it is embedded in, as it were. It almost feels as if it is in some kind of rubber surround or something. The socket seems to be ‘under’ the top panel, not fixed into it like the guitar input. Maybe this is more of a design feature than anything, it all works ok. You can possibly see what I mean here, the aux socket seems to be ‘underneath’ the top panel surface.

The headphone socket on the rear panel is the same, by the way.

DV Mark Little Jazz problem (heads up, if you're considering to buy)-256ff4a1-14ed-49ef-8f89-c8e43749b896-jpg
    Last edited by grahambop; 02-13-2020 at 04:14 AM.