The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

it's a difficult question, because every guitarist and every music has his answer

I had Gypsy Jazz Guitar (including a Maccafferi Django), an archtop of luthier Gibson style, a 7 string archtop massive sculpted neck thru, a classical study guitar (although I don't play the classic) ...

today, I would settle for two, a good classical guitar or Brazilian nylon strings, maybe 7 strings, and the one I have, an 8 string solidbody with clear sound and a lot of sustain. With their versatility, I think I cover all kinds of music that I would like to play

this can be shocking when it comes to jazz guitar, but I really did read the need for an 'archtop jazz', those guitars I've been in love with for a long time, and the fetishistic tendency to identify jazz with this type of guitar as stereotypical styles is not to make me change my mind. truth be told. I no longer have any pleasure to play acoustically on archtop, they have far too much imbalance in the rendering of different frequencies, especially a weakness of the bass, and a sound far too dry to be modulated as well as a solidbody or a classic nylon

anyway, I would advise any guitarist to have a classical guitar and work the acoustic sound, the infinite possibilities by the only different playing from the two hands and fingers, positions etc. I seriously think that one who does not know how to draw a good acoustic sound, even with a solidbody, can add all kinds of effects and amplifications, he will never have a personal sound that can say from the first notes: it is such that plays

what struck me when I listened to Jimi Hendrix on acoustic guitar is that he had the same fundamental sound as with his electric factory, but that's just as true of Django, René Thomas, John McLaughlin...
    Last edited by Patlotch; 02-10-2020 at 08:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Generally speaking most people who have the most and expensive guitars, don't deserve them per their musical skills.
    I have just enough to accommodate my mediocre skills,lol!

User Info Menu

I love good old HSS Strat.
    There is no music genre that good HSS Strat can't do.

Ofc I would love to have ES 339, PRS 7 string, Mahogany Tele, Triple P90 guitar and stuff like that.

But I can survive with one good HSS Strat without a problem.

Maybe like Ibanez Andy Timmons, or Tom Quayle, or Music Man Luke 3 HSS.

Good HSS Strat can do everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    anyway, I would advise any guitarist to have a classical guitar and work the acoustic sound, the infinite possibilities by the only different playing from the two hands and fingers, positions etc.
    That is one of the reasons why I play with my fingers; there's so much room between the 17th fret (archtop) and the bridge. I even wondered if it might be useful to remove the frets beyond the 17th, because that's where I like to play, and I never use those high notes.

Some banjos have that: https://siterepository.s3.amazonaws....ooped_neck.jpg - don't want a "scooped" neck, though. I already play with the lightest possible touch, but string oscillation sometimes hits a fret.

I seriously think that one who does not know how to draw a good acoustic sound, even with a solidbody, can add all kinds of effects and amplifications, he will never have a personal sound that can say from the first notes: it is such that plays
    I noticed that in musicshops; it's striking to hear an unamplified guitar sing in one's hands, and sound like a washboard in another's.

Last year I heard a customer complain about the "dead sound" of a 335-type guitar, and showed a review that said it sounded very good dry already. A blunt 3rd customer couldn't bear it anymore and told the man what his problem was. A vocabulary-widening experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    That is one of the reasons why I play with my fingers; there's so much room between the 17th fret (archtop) and the bridge. I even wondered if it might be useful to remove the frets beyond the 17th, because that's where I like to play, and I never use those high notes.
    à moins que les frettes ne vous gênent pour le passage des doigts de la main droite au-dessus du manche, il vaut mieux les laisser, elles peuvent vous servir de repères pour les harmoniques
    unless the frets bother you for the passage of the right hand fingers over the fingerboard, it is better to leave them, they can serve as markers for harmonics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Interesting the equation does not help me. As celibate I don’t have any arguments but funds always an issue. If you have so many you don’t have time to play them regularly then it is a problem.

Sometimes I wonder if selling one just get another is a way to stay interested in playing. A guitar acquisition does wonders for my chops. But it never ends just lately I have been looking for a lower model Dangelico either Style A or B.
    Owning and playing multiple guitars is like real estate: rotation, rotation, rotation.

User Info Menu

Einstein once more falls short. He is using simple algebra and linear thinking.

The desire for guitarship bleeds beyond four dimensions easily, well into parallel universes and further, overfills all black holes, and is only limited in scope by human imagination and intellect.

User Info Menu

Disregarding guitars, I find the search for a good amp and good speakers more challenging. I own three guitars (only one for jazz), five amps and at least twelve speakers.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    Disregarding guitars, I find the search for a good amp and good speakers more challenging. I own three guitars (only one for jazz), five amps and at least twelve speakers.......
    I don't have problems with any of this.

I love same body wood on guitar, I love same body shape, I love same neck profile.
    I love same clean on amp, I love same overdrive on amp.

I love only 1 guitar speaker.

My only issue - pickups - tons of great options. -.-

I hate buying pickups. -.-

Other then pickups, I have 0 issues with rest. xD
    Last edited by Mecena; 02-12-2020 at 10:08 AM.

User Info Menu

since I have not opened my freezer for a long time, I do not know how many guitars I put there

currently, I use two:

- ESP LTD M-1008 Multi-Scale

- Godin-Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst Crescent II

User Info Menu

I really have problems with pickups only.
    That's probably cause anything more unique then Fender Texas Specials, or DiMarzio / Duncan gainy bridge humbuckers is hard to find in my place.
    I would love to like try 5-6-7-8 different pickup combinations.
    But they are super hard to find in my country.
    Other then that - I'm super cool with rest.
    Between this 6-7 pickup combinations.
    I think I could narrow it to 2, without any problem.

User Info Menu

I always say "once I get this guitar, I'll be happy... I won't need any more" - yet I always end up wanting something else.
    Right now I'd really love an 18" non-cut Elferink and a TK Smith Telecaster.... my bank balance makes sure neither of those will happen any time soon though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I always say "once I get this guitar, I'll be happy... I won't need any more" - yet I always end up wanting something else.
    Right now I'd really love an 18" non-cut Elferink and a TK Smith Telecaster.... my bank balance makes sure neither of those will happen any time soon though
    Not the same story with me.
    But all the time when I save some money ... I do help family with it always.
    Gear is always 2nd need.
    I had chance to 3 times buy a gear, instead - I loaned money to family.

User Info Menu

I guess if you just want to own a lot of guitars, then buy as many as you want.

If you want to ever get good at playing music, get as few as you can get away with or ideally fewer. You're probably going to want to change the strings on your guitars somewhat regularly. If you are fiddling with 10 guitars that's going to eat into your practicing.

Think about your favorite players. They are probably associated with a single instrument. Or maybe 3 at the most. Certainly there are exceptions.

Look at violinists. They get one really good violin and play it forever. A lot don't even travel with a backup.

I have a classical, a tele, a selmac and hope I can get away with just those three.

Also around is a p bass and an 8 string lap steel. I have a couple steel strings that never get played.

I have a strat, working on making it into Mark Speer strat clone (from the band Khruangbin my fav lately)

On the chopping block are a fretless j bass and a 12 string pedal steel.