The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

So many great Princeton discussions but not a lot with sounds to go on so here is my 65 Princeton clone with mid control on max, treble 4, bass 3, volume 3 and Celestion 12” Gold with 2012 Gibson 175 controls on 10 Thomi flats 11 to 47 recorded with a talking bone.

Only my 3rd attempt at a chord melody for a tune, sugar coated constructive feed back welcomed

apologies for the shorts, don’t you hate looking at old fellas legs

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It sounds like the amp is ready to howl with some feedback on those tone settings 19 seconds in.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-11-2020 at 03:12 AM.

User Info Menu

It definitely has the trademark "Princeton" tone. Good effort, played clean and nice sound.

I have recorded a lot of the clips I have posted on a Fender PRRI but neglected to note it. Maybe I'll put a few here if that's okay.

User Info Menu

Glad you got the amp sorted out. Mid control is nice to have in a princeton for certain guitars. Hope it inspires you to play now. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    ...I have recorded a lot of the clips I have posted on a Fender PRRI but neglected to note it. Maybe I'll put a few here if that's okay.
    That would be awesome!

User Info Menu

for sure Lawson, really enjoy all your videos and observing your journey and progress

User Info Menu

Here's Donna Lee on my L5ces and the Princeton Reverb Reverb ReIssue. This one is the Sweetwater special edition with the 12" Cannabis Rex speaker. Recorded with a Shure SM57.

User Info Menu

Here's the Jimmy Raney solo on the changes to "Out of Nowhere" played on a 2015 Gibson ES175 "Figured" through the PRRI with the 12" CR speaker. I really, really love the way this amp sounds.

User Info Menu

This is my 78 PR with a Jensen C10q. Not well recorded (just my phone), but I think you can still get a sense of it. I generally keep both treble and bass on the amp all the down, though I sometimes turn the treble up a hair if sounds muddy. Having the bass all the way down helps a lot with feedback. Amp volume is about 2 on this

John

User Info Menu

Here's the Jimmy Raney solo on the changes to "Out of Nowhere" played on a 2015 Gibson ES175 "Figured" through the PRRI with the 12" CR speaker. I really, really love the way this amp sounds.

Fantastic playing Lawson! Always enjoy your videos

What sort of settings are you using on the amp and guitar here, if you don’t mind me asking?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    Fantastic playing Lawson! Always enjoy your videos

What sort of settings are you using on the amp and guitar here, if you don’t mind me asking?
    I usually put the volume on about 5, treble is 5, bass is 3 or 4, reverb on 3. I turn the volume on the guitar down to get the loudness I want, and use the tone knob to tame the highs if I need to. I'm mic'ing with a Shure SM57.

User Info Menu

I usually put the volume on about 5, treble is 5, bass is 3 or 4, reverb on 3. I turn the volume on the guitar down to get the loudness I want, and use the tone knob to tame the highs if I need to. I'm mic'ing with a Shure SM57.
    thank you - really appreciate it. That’s helpful

at the risk of asking a silly question: do you use input 1 or input 2?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    thank you - really appreciate it. That’s helpful

at the risk of asking a silly question: do you use input 1 or input 2?
    I use input 1. I haven't actually compared them.

User Info Menu

I use input 1. I haven't actually compared them.
    thank you so much

that really helps

now I just need to learn how to play as well as you

thank you again

User Info Menu

I love that CR speaker, and think it's a perfect choice for jazz tones (even tho I use it for rock tones, but I like thick tones, so...)

I recently got a Bad Cat Hot Cat, and replaced the OEM V30 with my old CR - instant "me." My PR has the 12" Cream Alnico in it... so it's got more mids than normal. Not as much mids as a PR with the mids mod (which have done in the past, and MIGHT consider doing again)... but it's definitely warmer/bigger than the stock 10" POS.

User Info Menu

anyone tried the Celestion Cream Neo. I saw a video comparing it to Blue, Gold, Cream and it sounded really good, seemed a more balanced sound but still with nice clean top end chime.

User Info Menu

I installed the mid control on a PRRI I used to have... I REALLY liked the mod, but I ended up selling the amp (one of my few gear regrets). It was one of the orange tolex Jim Campilongo ones.

FFWD several years, and I have another PRRI... this one the, the Knotty Pine with the 12" Alnico Cream. Gorgeous amps, looking and sounding. I have been thinking of installing the mid mod again.... I just hate to alter just a gorgeous specimen, LOL. I've been trying various pedals to see if I could EQ my way around it... I do love the blackface tone, but sometimes, with certain guitars, I'd love to have a more tame high end, and more mids...

If I had it to do ALL over (hindsight being 20/20), I would have just bought an Allen Sweet Spot (with a middle/RAW control), and been done with it. I do feel like the mid control gives you 2 amp voicings... the "more middy" one being closer to the Fender brownface era amps.

re: Celestion Cream Neo & Cannabis Rex:

I don't know how my Alnico Cream compares to the Cream Neo... you would think they'd be similar, since they are both "Cream", but people have told me that's not so?

I have a CR in a 1x12 cab, and I plugged the PRRI into that... interestingly, the Alnico Cream 12" and CR are VERY VERY similar to each other. So much so I find them completely interchangeable, at least at the volumes I play at, at home (about 3.5 on PR volume).