The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by broturtel
    Hm, how will this effect the acoustic sound? I also play my archtop acoustically quite a bit.
    The thick sound of an L-5 and a very good acoustic tone are simply not compatible. The more acoustic the guitar it is the brighter the sound it gets on the amplified tone. To me the L-5 Wesmo style guitar is the middle road.
    I did a custom built that was loud acusticly speaking, but because of that the humbucker (classic 57) sounded thinner.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some years ago I searched too a PAF type of floater for my floater version of ES-165. There is not a lot of space for it so there was no readily available alternatives.

Finally I found Pete Biltoft in Vintage Vibe guitars who made me one. Just perfect in size and sound. And looks! Contact him and tell what You are after. Not bad priced either.

And it is always nice to receive a package from Hawaii!

If I had been 'wiser' – and the top of the ES-165 had been carved – I should have tried Rhythm Chief.

Why does nobody make legendary Rhythm Chief in humbucker size?

User Info Menu

Making the Rhythm Chief the size of a humbucker puts the center of the coil further from the neck, thus a brighter tone. Not a lot, probably, but perhaps discernable. I see no need for a bigger pickup, because the current one sounds so good to my ears. The only reason I know of to make a single-coil the size of a humbucker is so that it can fit into a hole routed for a humbucker. No hole in the top, no need for a pickup the exact size of the hole. Two coils side by side produce a different tone from a single coil, whether or not it's because of the size difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Making the Rhythm Chief the size of a humbucker puts the center of the coil further from the neck, thus a brighter tone. Not a lot, probably, but perhaps discernable. I see no need for a bigger pickup, because the current one sounds so good to my ears. The only reason I know of to make a single-coil the size of a humbucker is so that it can fit into a hole routed for a humbucker. No hole in the top, no need for a pickup the exact size of the hole. Two coils side by side produce a different tone from a single coil, whether or not it's because of the size difference.
    Yes, I meant it mainly for us who have a humbucker equipped guitar. It (hb) seems to be kind of a standard.

Maybe I should have added that when there is plenty of humbucker size P90s, humbucker size CC pickups, even humbucker sized telecaster bridge pickup (Lollar Novel T) and even P90 sized humbucker (Di Marzio's Virtual P90) etc. etc. It is sad that one of the most famous jazz pickup, Rhythm Chief, is available only in Rhythm Chief sized package!
    Last edited by Herbie; 03-19-2020 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, it wouldn't be a Rhythm Chief if it were a different size, would it? But a similar design, with the portion under the plain strings wound differently than the rest, might be a good sounding pickup, even in humbucker size. I think I would consider trying one.

User Info Menu

Anybody ventured into the hotter PG-13 Mini Humbucker from DiMarzio?
    Chasing a Grant Green type tone with some more spank on a 330 type bix.
    thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    FWIW, no mini-humbucker is going to give the same tone of a full sized PAF style humbucker. It just doesn't sample as much string, a mini is more focused.
    You are probably right about that but I think it has more to do with smaller magnets, and fewer windings.

Having said that I have been warming up to the floating mini made by Lollar, it is quite clear but rolling off the tone warms it up.

If you need to go further, an EQ pedal is just the ticket, I use an Analogman modified Boss GE7.
    Last edited by bluejaybill; 11-03-2021 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Rudy Pensa once told me that Jimmy D'Aquisto's favorite pickup was the 60's Guild Anti Hum (the one on the Starfires) mini humbucker. I remember Jim Hall had one on his 175 for a while. The search was on and I found 2 pairs for my 2 Koll Ultraglide 15" archtops. Here's why I posted here ...I can't find or afford another pair since the guitar it's for is a backup travel guitar.
    I no longer "hear" the full size humbucker on a jazz box ..what some call "warm" sounds smeared and out of focus for what I`m after so the mini hum is on my radar. I`d almost go p90 but the mini hum (the RIGHT one) covers the best of both worlds for me.
    I`d love to have someone do a jazz guitar mini hum shootout.
    Somehow ceramic magnets and higher output seem to be more user friendly on the mini than they are on the full sized ...but that is pure speculation after a few experiences.
    carry on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WahmBomAh
    Anybody ventured into the hotter PG-13 Mini Humbucker from DiMarzio?
    Chasing a Grant Green type tone with some more spank on a 330 type bix.
    thanks
    You're talking what's in my head... the PG-13 Middle is 12K Ohms and has an Alnico V magnet (the other two have ceramic's). I'll probably try a set. I have a DiMarzio-wound set of Ibanez GB floating mini's in my ES-330 and LOVE them, but those are getting harder to find, and the newer Ibanez GB10's have ceramic magnets, and I'm not a fan of that ceramic magnet sound.

I did just have Pete Biltoft wind me one of his mini humbucker Charlie Christian pickup's that's destined for another ES-330 (I have 4... so far!) and it'll be paired with a Kent Armstrong Firbird pickup in the bridge position. I also tried EMG mini humbuckers, which are interesting, but nothing like those Ibanez GB's. The struggle is REAL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kseton
    You're talking what's in my head... the PG-13 Middle is 12K Ohms and has an Alnico V magnet (the other two have ceramic's). I'll probably try a set. I have a DiMarzio-wound set of Ibanez GB floating mini's in my ES-330 and LOVE them, but those are getting harder to find, and the newer Ibanez GB10's have ceramic magnets, and I'm not a fan of that ceramic magnet sound.

I did just have Pete Biltoft wind me one of his mini humbucker Charlie Christian pickup's that's destined for another ES-330 (I have 4... so far!) and it'll be paired with a Kent Armstrong Firbird pickup in the bridge position. I also tried EMG mini humbuckers, which are interesting, but nothing like those Ibanez GB's. The struggle is REAL!
    WOW! YOu are deep in !
    I have the 60's Guild Mini Hum (anti-hum) pickups in 2 guitars and they are more explosive than the standadrd Gibson as I remember.
    Hard to find but d like something along those lines. They sound much louder than their reading.

User Info Menu

Hey Wahm, yeah, some might say "a suitable case for treatment?". I was curious about the Guild one's... hmm... maybe.. buy ANOTHER ES-330??? :-p

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kseton
    Hey Wahm, yeah, some might say "a suitable case for treatment?". I was curious about the Guild one's... hmm... maybe.. buy ANOTHER ES-330??? :-p
    Rudy mentioned that D'Aquisto;s favorite pickup was the guild anti hum
    I found a pair and put them in my Koll 15" carved archtop and I`m hooked.
    I found a second pair for my other Koll ...I have 2 because they are one-offs ...no way to replace one other than a new build.
    Now I have located a beater ES330 type as a backup.
    THe Guild's go for over 600 bucks if u can find them.
    I`m curious as to how the reissue (LB-1) sounds in comparison to the 60`s anti-hum Guilds.
    Gemini pickups tells me that they are built the same way but until I hear an A/B ...it`s anyone`s guess.
    I DO know that they are factory mismatched with a 7k neck and 5k bridge.
    In the meantime ..
    A cheaper easier alternative is ths DiMarzio? Gemini Minihum GoldFoil?
    I`d LOVE to find the 601s Yamaha SA minihum. They sound great too.
    My experience with some Ttop era Minihums ...not impressed. ...Kind of dead sounding.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have experience with Brandon wound t-tops?

User Info Menu

Pete Biltoft makes a Dearmond Rythym Chief pickup in a mini humbucker enclosure, I have one on my Tele's neck and it is glorious, fat, articulate, and warm..

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

I get a nice jazz tone from my Seymour Duncan SM1 Minibucker in the neck of my Telecaster

User Info Menu

And I have a Fralin minihumbucker in the neck of a thinline partcaster that’s very good

User Info Menu

Since my last post in this thread in 2020, I have swapped out the Biltoft CC for the original Allparts mini humbucker that came with the guitar. Now branded as the Razor Jazubukka

Razor(R) Jazubakk? Jazz Bucker Floating Humbucking Pickup - Pickguard Mo — Allparts Music

Darker, warmer than the Johnny Smith style floaters IME. Not that I like it "better" that the CC, which is a great sounding pickup, but I like switching it up every so often. I rotate those two pickups with a modified Classic 57 floater and a Kent Armstrong floating PAF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arnie65
    Pete Biltoft makes a Dearmond Rythym Chief pickup in a mini humbucker enclosure, I have one on my Tele's neck and it is glorious, fat, articulate, and warm..

Cheers,
    Arnie..
    Hi Arnie, this particular version seems to be missing in Pete's offerings - was it a special one-off , custom-wound pickup ? Thanks, Christian

User Info Menu

It was custom and I had to pay for the engineering for it, so it is in Pete's records, all you need to do is ask for the Rythym Chief pickup in a mini humbucker enclosure. You're welcomed to mention to Pete that Arnold sent you...

Cheers,
    Arnie.

User Info Menu

You are swimming in suggestions but -- for my money -- there is no better option than shooting Tim, at Sunday Handwounds, an email and tell him what sound qualities you're looking for. He'll spin you up a custom or semi-custom set for half the price of Lollar/Fralin/Novak, et al. And they'll sound absolutely amazing.

Sunday Handwound HB-FB's and Firebird Pickups
    – Sunday Handwound Pickups

User Info Menu

Lollars. I've also been impressed by Kent Armstrong's mini-humbuckers. You can't go wrong with either.