The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

Just put on a set of Thomastik Bebop 012 (RW).
    All strings sound good and have sustain. Only the fifth string is completely dead, dull without sustain.
    Of course I'm very dissapointed.
    My guitar is a custom tele model with perfect intonation and setup.
    Has anyone experienced something similar?

greetings,

Stefaan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitaarklas
    Hi everyone,

Just put on a set of Thomastik Bebop 012 (RW).
    All strings sound good and have sustain. Only the fifth string is completely dead, dull without sustain.
    Of course I'm very dissapointed.
    My guitar is a custom tele model with perfect intonation and setup.
    Has anyone experienced something similar?

greetings,

Stefaan
    No and I have them on all my guitars. Never any issues. Best strings I have ever used.

DB

User Info Menu

Yes, I had exactly the same issue with the A string in a few sets of TIs, several years ago. The distributor quickly replaced the affected strings with no questions, and no problems since.

User Info Menu

It has come up before on the forum. I haven't had the problem personally. Maybe they were old strings?

User Info Menu

I had a high string break at the ball end, but they sent me a a replacement here in the states. Really nice strings but too spendy at least for me. I changed to D'Addario New York XL's 12-52 and haven't looked back!

User Info Menu

Did you cut the string before bending it 90 degrees? Sorry of that is an insulting question, but with round core strings that is one symptom of the wrap losing integrity.

User Info Menu

I didn't cut it before putting on my archtop. It was the ball end that broke. Again great strings,but if you change them on a bit monthly basis it gets pretty expensive. I found the D'Addario N.Y. 2x's to be almost as good and less than half the price.

User Info Menu

Sorry, Jads57, for the unclarity! My question was directed to the OP rather than to you, but without having pointed that out it looks like I was asking you that question. My apologies!

User Info Menu

j57- most strings break at the ball end due to a burr/sharp edge in the tailpiece string hole...gently file and apply some graphite...

but strings can be defective at ball end (a weak link)...d'addario actually offers strings with reinforced solder twist ball end winds...worth the extra ¢ per string!!! haha

tho check those tailpiece holes!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-09-2020 at 09:16 PM.

User Info Menu

No problem,unfortunately things are lost in posting ones thoughts.,I'm just glad we get to exchange info and ideas!

User Info Menu

What did you expect with a Tele...?
    I've been using Bebop 11s with no issues.

User Info Menu

I suspect that cutting the string compromised the winding like Cunamara stated. A sales responsable at Thomastik wrote me the same comment.
    I'll be more cautious next time.

Thanks,

Stefaan