The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Sloppy work on Gibson’s part. Les Paul’s and 335s don’t come that way, my L5 had a little of that pathologic tilt and my VOS 175 had it as bad as yours. I read about a Dan Erlewine technique a few years back where you tape sandpaper over the top at the location where the pickup sits and (flipping the ring around) sand it to contour properly before securing it again. worked for me, the L5 needed only a little, 175 a bit more and now they are both parallel to the strings.

it makes no sense that it would done on purpose. That’s what adjustable pole pieces are for! I think it’s just poor fitment. Those rings are probably meant for a higher volume product like a Les Paul and just get used on 175s as a matter of convenience.

I can’t say I could hear much difference afterwards, but there IS a difference with a pole piece setup for string balance. If Gibson REALLY was concerned about pickup plane angles, they would build a humbucker with 4 screws for a tilt adjustment instead of the wobbly center screw arrangement currently.

Bothersome to look at, as well, like having your shirt collar flipped up on one side or when your friend has something green stuck in their teeth.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    ...Those rings are probably meant for a higher volume product like a Les Paul and just get used on 175s as a matter of convenience...
    My theory is that there has been only one actual supplier of pickup rings for quite sometime now. I tried to find unslanted mini humbucker rings for my ES-390 to fix the slant on my neck pickup. I only found two varieties available. Ones with straight bottoms (perpendicular to the strings) and ones with curved bottoms for archtops. Both come slanted parallel to the strings. I bought the straight bottom type because those are the type that fit an ES-390 and sanded it until it fit parallel to the strings. On my particular guitar just reversing the ring wouldn't work. The angle of the pickup ring was too severe and both positions for the stock ring looked wonky.

User Info Menu

My L5 has this tilt too and it’s a wonderful guitar. I don’t want to mess with perfection.
    Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-36a3d1be-fedc-42ba-95eb-d24b10972c44-jpeg

User Info Menu

The bottom line is that the pickup will work either way. It's mostly aesthetics, but having both coils the same distance from the strings might theoretically give a better tone, but better tone is entirely subjective. The owner of the guitar is free to set it up however (s)he wants, and it works either way.

User Info Menu

I would flip that ring around. Many of these guitars have that slant to some degree or another, I think this one is a little extreme and I would flip it. If you have never removed a humbucker from its ring and tried to put it back, be warned, it's not fun. If the spring is way too long, you can snip a bit off to make it easier.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-10-2020 at 10:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Seeing all these pickup rings the wrong way around is making my OCD go crazy. I can't understand why Gibson get this wrong. It has little effect on the actual sound or functionality of the instrument, it's mostly aesthetic, but to me looks really sloppy on an otherwise fine instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    Seeing all these pickup rings the wrong way around is making my OCD go crazy. I can't understand why Gibson get this wrong. It has little effect on the actual sound or functionality of the instrument, it's mostly aesthetic, but to me looks really sloppy on an otherwise fine instrument.
    That's why it was so satisfying to take the 10 minutes necessary to sand down the extra one I had and swap out the stock ring so that everything looks planned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I would flip that ring around. Many of these guitars have that slant to some degree or another, I think this one is a little extreme and I would flip it. If you have never removed a humbucker from its ring and tried to put it back, be warned, it's not fun. If the spring is way too long, you can snip a bit off to make it easier.

That would be a good time to replace noisy springs with nice, quiet surgical tubing. StewMac stocks it. I'm endeavoring to systematically swap out all my springs for ST, but I'm incredibly lazy, so it's kinda slow.

User Info Menu

Ok. More evidence that Gibson is not stupid, cheap, nor lazy when it comes to pickup mounting on its archtop electric guitars. Check out forum member Marty Grass’s beautiful and rare Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster:
    Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-db391abe-9dfe-4041-9a5a-6e799d646b58-jpeg

This guitar is a meticulously crafted masterpiece in every way. Check out the tilt of the neck and middle pickup rings. No way this is sloppiness or negligence. Very intentional positioning of the pickups to accommodate the player’s picking hand. I’m convinced it’s a feature, not a defect.

Here’s my ‘59 ES-175:
    Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-278f8f8f-18ba-4e68-ac1e-10bcd88de075-jpeg

Again: feature, not defect.

Roli

User Info Menu

one man's feature is another man's defective bug.

User Info Menu

I sold the '59 VOS and bought a 2017 standard model. The pup angle had nothing to do with the decision but just fwiw the 2017 doesn't have 'the feature'.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-20200221_214944-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Ok. More evidence that Gibson is not stupid, cheap, nor lazy when it comes to pickup mounting on its archtop electric guitars. Check out forum member Marty Grass’s beautiful and rare Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster:
    Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-db391abe-9dfe-4041-9a5a-6e799d646b58-jpeg

This guitar is a meticulously crafted masterpiece in every way. Check out the tilt of the neck and middle pickup rings. No way this is sloppiness or negligence. Very intentional positioning of the pickups to accommodate the player’s picking hand. I’m convinced it’s a feature, not a defect.

Here’s my ‘59 ES-175:
    Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-278f8f8f-18ba-4e68-ac1e-10bcd88de075-jpeg

Again: feature, not defect.

Roli
    +1 I agree with you. I noticed the tilt on the neck pickup of my 2017 -- the last year of ES-175 production so far. I remember a similar thread from 2017 too -- with plenty of flame out !!! Meanwhile my ES-175 continues to play like a dream and has "the tone" which has stopped me shopping for guitars. Three years now, no gas. The folks who designed and built this guitar were not idiots. I don't ever think about the pickup when I play this guitar -- mostly just how I wish I had hit better notes, does it need cleaned?, did I just ding it? -- stuff like that.

I get the OCD concept of "I need my pickups to look parallel to the strings or I'm going to lose it!" But somehow the tilt is out there and it works just fine.