The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

This is a Gibson 2016 ES-175 '59 VOS. Is this curvy shape at the neck pup normal or has this thing been warped in some unholy manner?Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-side2-jpgGibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-side1-jpgGibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-side3-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

just from pics..

neck angle looks ok...strings seem to be traveling in right range...a shot down to bridge would help..but if the bridge is not super low or jacked way high..i'd think ok

if you don't like the way the pickup is..reverse the neck pickup ring...and that will enable you to even out the pup better

tho the polepieces are ok the way it is anyway..bridge pup maybe a tad high..depending on string material

cheers

ps- just to make sure..i meant reverse just the neck pup ring..not the pickup itself..you want to maintain the polepieces in the position they are now

User Info Menu

Yeah, the neck pickup ring looks to be installed in the wrong direction.

User Info Menu

My Wes L5 is like that.

User Info Menu

Gibson does not know how to install a pickup ring properly. That isn't new, nor news to many. Turn the ring around, and all will be right with the world.

User Info Menu

Most of the. ‘59 ES-175 VOSs I’ve seen have some degree of tiltitis of the neck pickup. I’ve had several myself and they all had some degree of skeewampitude.

On my ‘59 reissue, I spun it around and it flattened things out, but, I ended up putting it back like yours. Here’s why: After fixing it, I found that my pick would hit the pickup a lot more. The clicking and missed notes kinda drove me nuts. Since flipping it back askew, I’m a happy camper. I couldn’t hear much (if any) sonic improvement either. So, like me, my 175 neck pickup is a little “off”.

Roli.

User Info Menu

I have that pu and pu ring like that. I have changed the pu (too) many times but never turned the ring anywhere. I vote ’normal’.

User Info Menu

That is the way ES-175s are and have always been. It is a "feature".

User Info Menu

Mine looks like this, I have never changed anything.

Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-e080bd1d-46e2-4d55-b2be-11ad6a291ae3-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Mine looks like this, I have never changed anything.

Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-e080bd1d-46e2-4d55-b2be-11ad6a291ae3-jpg
    Case closed??

I am too neanderthal to insert a pix but, my Steve Howe 175 is the same way:

The neck pickup is angled so the side closest to the neck is closer to the strings, and, an added bonus, the bridge pickup is angled so the bridge side is closer to the strings

Apparently that may be normal...

User Info Menu

To my OCD brain that is just wrong.

I had an early 80’s 175 and I don’t recall how the pickup was set, but if it had been that way I would have run screaming back to the guitar store.

BTW my 135 doesn’t have as much arch on the top but is installed as grahambop notes and is definitely parallel to the strings.

User Info Menu

I vote for Normal.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My 2016 Memphis came that way. Flipped the neck ring around and the illusion of a wavy top went away. Sometimes I flip it back in the silly belief that Gibson knew what it was doing but then I lose my faith and put it back so it looks right.

User Info Menu

I think that Gibson has been using "one size fits all pickup rings" since pickup rings were invented. Sometimes they can just be reversed to sit parallel, other times they need to be sanded. It has always seemed odd to me that they spend no effort on making a 97 cent piece fit correctly on instruments costing thousands of dollars. That said, if that is the biggest issue it can easily be corrected by the user although I wonder how many people try and screw up the finish or break the wiring, etc. Rant over. It's a nice day out.

User Info Menu

Last time the ES-175 was on the Gibson website, they described this as a "feature". No judgement

User Info Menu

My 2004 ES-175 came like that. It is how they do things. I reversed mine to appease my sense of order. I also set my pickups a bit lower that Gibson recommends; 1/8" is too high, IMHO, but my pick (when I use one) doesn't click on the pickup. You've got a dandy guitar there, a jazz classic. Slap some flats on that baby and swing!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-09-2020 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Last time the ES-175 was on the Gibson website, they described this as a "feature". No judgement
    Funny thing is that my ES-390 with mini humbuckers has the same “feature.”

User Info Menu

the point to having the taller portion of the pickup ring closer to the neck, is that it keeps the adjustable polepieces nearer to the strings at the critical 24th fret harmonic

cheers

User Info Menu

It's only a harmonic with open strings and a few other frets, none of which are in much use in most jazz keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's only a harmonic with open strings and a few other frets, none of which are in much use in most jazz keys.
    yeah i know we have all gone down this path before...

but then why have all major guitar makers historically configured their guitars as such?!!

not my argument here..just talkin pickup polepiece level!! hah..and why gibson still DOES it!

cheers

User Info Menu

My 1961 ES175 has the pickup parallel to the strings and all the older samples I have seen has been the same way. I once recieved a guitar (not Gibson) which had the angled PU due to a reversed PU ring. It hurt my eye so I reversed the ring. I could hear no difference in sound. Also many years ago - taking Wes' example - I reversed the neck PU so the pole pieces faced towards the bridge. FWIW, to my ears it made no audible difference to the sound.

User Info Menu

When I setup an ES-175, I position the neck pickup surround so the portion under the pickguard is parallel to the pickguard and the pickguard lays flat on it. The other end of the ring may look backwards in that situation. The pickup is adjusted using the springs and tabs so it is parallel to the strings.

Gibson ES-175 Shape - Normal or Unholy?-es175-pickup-jpg

User Info Menu

It makes sense to have the pickup ring taller side by the neck when the pickup sit right at the neck after the curvature ends.
    The pickup is then parallel to strings to appease aesthetic ocd.
    It is exactly what happens on L5, Tal etc...
    Doing it on a 175 where the pickup sits farther from the neck right at the curve makes no sense in that regard.
    If I had a 175 with such a "feature" I would have rotate the pickup ring to bring it more parallel to strings.
    I had a Gibson SG with the notorious batwing pickguard where the pickups where screwed with no rings directly on the pickguard causing a similar slant vs the strings because of the neck angle vs the guitar top.
    That was not happening on SGs with regular pickguard and pickup rings where the pups and strings where then parallel to each others.
    Was it changing the tone, probably a bit yes but not because of the angle but because the pole pieces where closer to the strings.

Simply put, if it itches simply rotate the pickup ring and be happy