The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Greentone: that's interesting. However, I found that my Sebring L-5 with HB pickups reached feedback levels very quickly in the normal input of my tweed 5E3 Deluxe, even in my studio, but switching to the Mic input seemed to resolve the problem producing a clean, warm tone. Why is this? Is the Mic channel a lower input channel?
    Last edited by mmdavis; 02-08-2020 at 11:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Funny... when I think my experiences with Silverface Princeton Reverb and Tweed Deluxe clone are quite different but both have one common thing: too much bass.

Princeton had too much treble too. And too little mids. I always wondered, why do I play with an amp which’s eq must be adjusted 0 and 0.

Tweed has a pleasant upper and mid register, I like also the soft attack.

But the bass department needs serious cap work.

One must remember that almost all the time I have had a ’70s/’80s Polytone to compare to. That has saved me often from the unperfectness of Fender circuits.
    I had similar EQ issues with my vintage '68 Silverface PR and solved it by having the amp serviced immediately after purchasing it. Then I swapped out (and stored) the original speaker, replacing it with an Emi Legend. Now it has a strong, tight bass and crisp highs.

These are great amps, but like many of us, are old and need special TLC!
    Last edited by Gitfiddler; 02-08-2020 at 08:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I had similar EQ issues with my vintage '68 Silverface PR and solved it by having the amp serviced immediately after purchasing it. Then I swapped out (and stored) the original speaker, replacing it with an Emi Legend. Now it has a strong, tight bass and crisp highs.
    These are great amps, but like many of us, are old and need special TLC!
    Swapping the speakers is needed in many cases, that’s true. I have had tens – or tons – of them. Some have tighter bass, some have it tighter and louder.

DIY Tweed Clone is best because changing the capacitors to different values is easy, because it is DIY.

Luckily I have a Quilter TB202 too which sounds close to perfect with almost any speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    As to the edge of overdrive sound, that can be a good thing.
    Do you mean Wes Montgomery's sound like here:

or going past that? I love his sound in that clip; very warm and broody, but you still hear every note distinctly. Lovely playing too, of course.