The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

PRS' import line of 'SE' models has expanded and now includes a full hollow body model. I was in the market for a smaller bodied full hollow to mess around with until my right shoulder healed from two recent surgeries. Large bodied instruments were simply too painful.

After reading about it here and other forums, seeing promo videos and chatting with my Sweetwater rep, I decided to take the plunge with this SE Hollowbody II. It arrived yesterday and I simply cannot believe the quality, fit, finish and tone of this instrument...One is tempted to add the caveat "for the money". But after owning other high end guitars, including a PRS SC245 McCarty that I love dearly, this SE knocked my socks off. It performs way above its weight class so to speak. A guitar this good, if made in the US, would be far above my budget.

I'm still in the honeymoon stage, so excuse my enthusiasm, but this full hollow body is amazing! The pickups sing beautifully, similar to their 57/08's but a bit more clear (in a good way). You can cop any tones you like. It will do it in spades. The jazz tones with the volume rolled back slightly is very convincing, in an ES330, ES225 or H525 neighborhood, but with PAF's instead of P90's.

Highly recommended if you are in the market! I know...pictures or it didn't happen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations. It looks great, and I'm pleased you've found a guitar that speaks to you while not hurting!

User Info Menu

This thread may have just instigated substantial damage to my credit card!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

congrats...i liked the look of those guitars when i first saw them...especially the mahogany one...i posted a thread about them here when they were first announced..but its mysteriously disappeared!!..

just has small block under bridge area...

a beauty...enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    congrats...i liked the look of those guitars when i first saw them...especially the mahogany one...i posted a thread about them here when they were first announced..but its mysteriously disappeared!!..

just has small block under bridge area...

a beauty...enjoy

cheers
    I searched for your original thread prior to posting mine without success. Anyway, it was a tough choice between the Mahogany or Maple models. I'd like to try a Mahogany just to see if there are any tonal differences. In the end, I fell for the flamey maple. It was as close to a Ginger vs. Mary Ann as I dare get.

User Info Menu

I have had three PRSs, all of them stellar. The SEs I have seen in the wild are all flawless. Your new guitar is beautiful. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

you made good choice..beautiful looking guitar...prs, usa made and se's have great necks!!!..out gibby gibson!...and the new improved adjustable bridge/tailpiece is big improvement over prior se's

well done

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    This thread may have just instigated substantial damage to my credit card!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    I was just going to say I'm having bad GAS.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the PRS, real nice...I Just bought a PRS Special Semi Hollow..killer guitar..i have to play all kinds of gigs, rock, variety jazz etc..this thing is like a super strat!

User Info Menu

"It arrived yesterday and I simply cannot believe the quality, fit, finish and tone of this instrument.."

Paul Reed Smith's obsession with quality control has translated into great player experiences!
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

What a great deal on a very usable guitar ! Had the original version of it,and it covered all styles well. My problem with the PRS guitars in general are they don't make a neck shape large enough for most of their guitars.
    They are now with the 594 series starting to offer a bit larger profile,but still thin shoulders which I don't really care for.

But definitely excellent modern instruments !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ...prs, usa made and se's have great necks!!!...
    I believe the SEs are made in Asia, not sure where

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    yeah the se's have always been asian made...

was stating that both prs usa made and asian se's have nice comfortable necks...comfortable as in comforting...in that they feel like vintage necks...like you've played one before!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    I've heard Cort Indonesia these days. I'd guess Samick Indonesia as well. I think Indonesia is capable of making some really good stuff, esp. lately.

User Info Menu

The neck profile of this SE HBII is larger/thicker/wider than my '08 SC245's 'wide fat' neck. It fills my large hand very nicely. (Sorry, no calipers).

I've read that some of the SE models are produced in Indonesia or Korea. Mine was made in China, as is the hardshell case it came in. My only complaint was that there were a few tiny wood chips in the case. I am a very picky guitar buyer, but cannot find a flaw on this instrument.

User Info Menu

The demos sound great, and the mahogany one is calling my name.... it's not a 335, but it is in that neighborhood, imo.... it may be hollow instead of semi, but it has that woody character, yet can still be cranked up if wanted. I'm really interested in this one...

User Info Menu

Quick update...Since today is Valentine's Day, I thought I'd give a quick 'honeymoon' update.

This full hollowbody guitar rocks hard! All music styles sound great on it. Just twist the smooth taper volume or tone knobs for a wide range of tones. I enjoy Wes, Burrell, Benson, Ritenour, David T. Walker, Grant Green and many others. Their tones are in this instrument.

I love the 58/15 pickups so much, I'd like to hear a set in a full size archtop. They are clear but punchy with a smooth midrange, great sustain and best of all, each note has a touch of overtones/harmonics.

So Happy Valentine's Day to all of you players! Love the one you are with...even if its one of your sweetheart guitars.

User Info Menu

I had an opportunity to try one the other day. Nice full-hollow-thinline tones as you say; the humbuckers are tasty. Much better suited for jazz than the semi-hollow versions, imho.

User Info Menu

I would love to own Mark Holcomb SE, with some PAFs.
    That guitar gives me GAS.

User Info Menu

Im sure the neck shape on these guitars will apeal to the majority of guitarists. I just prefer Gibson's '58 and Early '50s profile necks with big shoulders.
    The very early PRS SE guitars had that shape but it probably was unpopular with many players.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the SE Hollwobody II. I can say from first hand experience that SEs are well made and great sounding guitars. If it weren't for its thin neck, I'd still have my SE SVN 7-string - it was that nice of a guitar.

PRS SE SVN (not mine, I only had mine for a few months)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    PRS' import line of 'SE' models has expanded and now includes a full hollow body model.

I'm still in the honeymoon stage, so excuse my enthusiasm, but this full hollow body is amazing!
    I could be wrong, but aren't they really "semi's"? I thought there is a small block going from the bridge to the back. But ICBW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Im sure the neck shape on these guitars will apeal to the majority of guitarists. I just prefer Gibson's '58 and Early '50s profile necks with big shoulders.
    The very early PRS SE guitars had that shape but it probably was unpopular with many players.
    Yeah I played one of these at GC, really like the neck. I prefer softer shoulders.

PRS SE Custom 24 Zebrawood Electric Guitar Vintage Sunburst | Musician's Friend

I had an original Hollowbody USA with the "wide-fat" neck. You probably would like it, I didn't.

I now own US Custom 24 with the wide-thin neck, which a really like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I could be wrong, but aren't they really "semi's"? I thought there is a small block going from the bridge to the back. But ICBW.
    Here are the HB II specs from Sweetwater:

"The PRS SE Hollowbody II is built like no other guitar. Instead of the center block that runs top-to-bottom through semi-hollow guitar bodies, the SE Hollowbody II features only a small block that anchors the bridge. This proprietary PRS construction gives you the warm resonance of a full hollowbody with the clarity, sustain, and rock-solid stability of a semi — all in a comfortable thin-profile instrument. So if you're a solidbody player, you'll feel right at home on a SE Hollowbody II..."

User Info Menu

Late to the party, but that's a handsome guitar, OP. My next guitar will be a solid-body, either a Gibson SG or an SC245 SE. I love the wide/fat necks I've played on, and their quality is fantastic.

Congrats!