The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

These are beautiful Guitars.
    I am a big fan of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. Original designs, Uniquely done. The fact that they have a cost effective alternative of there own guitars is a wonderful idea.
    I would definitely get one of these if I was play out again. small, lightweight versatile. Really a perfect gigging guitar.
    Thanks for Sharing.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Here are the HB II specs from Sweetwater:

"The PRS SE Hollowbody II is built like no other guitar. Instead of the center block that runs top-to-bottom through semi-hollow guitar bodies, the SE Hollowbody II features only a small block that anchors the bridge. This proprietary PRS construction gives you the warm resonance of a full hollowbody with the clarity, sustain, and rock-solid stability of a semi — all in a comfortable thin-profile instrument. So if you're a solidbody player, you'll feel right at home on a SE Hollowbody II..."
    What I said, it's a semi, not a full hollowbody. But as they said on Seinfeld,

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Still a great guitar, I've owned two of them and really liked both.

User Info Menu

Happy belated NGD. VERY nice.

User Info Menu

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/20...02_530x@2x.jpg

Gosh I would love to own this one with come classic Duncan PAFs.

Soo sexy.

User Info Menu

Recently picked up the HB SE II, my first PRS. I'd shied away from PRS just b/c I like a more traditional styling - but I am delighted I jumped in and gave it a try. The two upside surprises are how much I enjoy its feather weight 6.2lbs in the 14" bout package and, as others have commented, the neck! My new favorite among the collection. Goldilocks. This guitar isn't meant to be a 175 Thunk Box but if the tones work for you then what a nice package for comfort and playability.
    Last edited by HighSnows; 12-07-2020 at 08:31 PM.

User Info Menu

FWIW on PRS SEs, I have a 277 baritone that I really dig. High-end imports really are the sweet spot these days and it seems like PRS does a great job.

User Info Menu

I bought a (used) PRS SE Hollowbody Standard yesterday. I have never owned a PRS but have always admired the design/shape of the body.

Even though I have very limited playing skills, I am enjoying playing it through my Henriksen "The Blu" amp.

I am reviving this thread to see if there are any further comments (in general) from those who posted earlier or from others (like me) that purchased this guitar recently.

The only thing of concern was that the bridge tilted slightly forward. Someone on the PRS forum mentioned that they noticed the same issue and put some teflon tape on the height adjustment screws as their fit seemed to be a bit "sloppy". I followed this advice regarding the tape but am interested in any comments from members of this forum specifically related to this "issue" and/or approach.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Shameless bump in hopes of a some comments to my post above ...before the thread gets totally buried. Many Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I bought a (used) PRS SE Hollowbody Standard yesterday. I have never owned a PRS but have always admired the design/shape of the body.

Even though I have very limited playing skills, I am enjoying playing it through my Henriksen "The Blu" amp.

I am reviving this thread to see if there are any further comments (in general) from those who posted earlier or from others (like me) that purchased this guitar recently.

The only thing of concern was that the bridge tilted slightly forward. Someone on the PRS forum mentioned that they noticed the same issue and put some teflon tape on the height adjustment screws as their fit seemed to be a bit "sloppy". I followed this advice regarding the tape but am interested in any comments from members of this forum specifically related to this "issue" and/or approach.

Thanks in advance.
    Congratulations on your spiffy new guitar, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Putting any kind of tape in a place like that will dampen the transfer of string vibration to the guitar’s body. Not a good idea. If the wraparound tailpiece isn’t as it should be, then I’d suggest asking the advice of a good luthier. Wraparound tailpieces sound great but have a certain tendency to start leaning forward over time. The string pull on those things is mostly horizontal instead of vertical. That’s a lot of pull. Over time, the wood may give in a bit. That’s something to check for when buying a wraparound tailpiece instrument. PS the closer the tailpiece is to the body, the less of a risk it is.

User Info Menu

This has been described for years. PRS production tolerances and materials are all top-of-the-line at each price point - I can’t imagine that string tension would loosen the posts. But the bridge/tp is apparently spec’ed to be a slightly loose fit between its “platform” and the underside of the post top. I doubt that this causes any problems at all or PRS would have reduced the space or made the slotted ends a hair thicker.

The reported “fix” (if a fix is needed, which I think is unlikely - and I used to play a Custom 22 and a Custom 24 on all gigs before I went to 7s) is to split a pair of thin washers and “spring” them at the cut to make very thin split washer shims. Here’s a link to an old PRS forum thread about this, with illustrations.

User Info Menu

Bought this model earlier this year. Did some cosmetic and wiring modifications.
    (Attached photos before mods.)

- Replaced overseas pickups with upgraded to PRS 57/08 pickups.

-Added a 3 way mini switch to split humbucker coils.

-Installed DR Zebra 12-54 strings. Bronze phosphate and steel nickel coiled together for archtops with magnetic pickups.

-Installed PRS SE locking tuners.

-Switched out white pickup rings to black.
    -Switched out SE black speed knobs to PRS "lampshade" knobs.
    -Switched out humbucker switch tip from white to black.

PRS SE Hollowbody II-20220714_122712-jpg

User Info Menu

I love it. It has really beautiful jazz tone. My friend Joel Shapira picked one up on his last trip to New York after an instrument incident he won’t discuss. After playing mine he knew it would be fine for recording and easily available at GC.

User Info Menu

I played several of them last week in a store. Very impressed with overall build quality and the sound. Appalled at the set-up, or lack of it. Unpolished frets, fret buzz, choking notes, bends fretting out. Very uninviting to play. So I passed. Some European webstores sell them for around €800, i.e. €200 below retail. That might be promising because the saving can be used to finance a proper fret job and set-up. Then it would be a killer guitar.

User Info Menu

Came across this video of the SE Hollowbody II. Some excellent tones here! And wonderful playing as well.