The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I like the revised Peterson Stroboclip...
    Whether it matters I don't know, but they are 10x more accurate than any other clip-on that I know of. Couple that accuracy with the high ratio tuners that I have on my guitars and compensated nuts, I get tunings that I am really happy with. Might be overkill but if there is a belief system that I can embrace it is tuning accuracy. I am a bit rational (or irrational depending upon how you look at it) about tuning I guess.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    .... Might be overkill but if there is a belief system that I can embrace it is tuning accuracy. I am a bit rational (or irrational depending upon how you look at it) about tuning I guess.
    totally agree...tuning accuracy is super important...along with intonation...you can never be too in tune!!!!

always amazed by great players who play out of tune or poorly intonated guitars...how can they hear and feel all that music and not hear they are not in tune??..a real distraction

cheers

User Info Menu

If there isn't anything that sets you apart from someone else at the very least you can be in really good tune. I also firmly believe that being in tune to a relatively high degree can open up a lot of doors from a creative aspect. It just adds to the beauty of what we do and I don't think that is an understatement.

User Info Menu

My D'Addario "Micro clip-free" tuner came in the mail today. First impressions are positive. It tunes quickly and accurately, and when it says the guitar is in tune, it sounds in tune, better than any other tuner I have except perhaps the Peterson strobe, but the Peterson is not better. It may be because it has very solid contact with the headstock, via a screw through the mount and into the bass E tuner. You can theoretically mount it on any tuning machine, but practically speaking the two E strings are about the only real choices. Either will work, but IME the bass E seems to get the weakest signal, so I put it there. It is easy to rotate it to the perfect viewing angle, and the display can be rotated 90 degrees at a time as you choose. It does cut off automatically after 10 minutes, whether you're still tuning or not, so you may have to go the the trouble of pressing the power button again if you're slow, or just experimenting. My Wu has a rather narrow headstock compared to many others, but the tuner is completely hidden from the front, and it's impossible to tell that it's there unless you have a rear view of the headstock. For $14.74 I think it's a very good deal.

User Info Menu

I've got a Peterson Stroboclip, and a pair of Polytune TC's, and a Polytune 2 pedal tuner. Love 'em all, but the Stroboclip is super spot on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I've got a Peterson Stroboclip, and a pair of Polytune TC's, and a Polytune 2 pedal tuner. Love 'em all, but the Stroboclip is super spot on!
    Do you find that the Peterson clip mars / damages / scratches the headstock? One reviewer said that it did. I bought the Polytune Clip but it turns off after 3 minutes; quite annoying when one is using it (like I am) to learn the fretboard. Calls for a rechargeable version or at least a defeat switch have gone unanswered, and there doesn't seem to be any customer service contact. I bought the KLIQ rechargeable and it's great, easier to read than the TC,better viewing adjustability, but it doesn't register some notes unless played louder than I want to for my purposes. Slower reaction time than the TC, which is tops even over the Peterson (I have the iPhone app and their clip). I'm wondering if the clip on is better than the iOS version? Better reaction time? Instantaneous (which is what i want)?
    Last edited by Saxophone Tall; 02-03-2023 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

The current Peterson StroboClip has no metal or hard plastic that touches the headstock. I don't know about the older model. I don't own an iphone, so I have no idea how fast that is, but the StroboClip is fast enough for me. You would have to be very clumsy to scratch a headstock with it, but there are certainly clumsy people in the world. Everyone wants instantaneous, just as they want unicorns.

User Info Menu

It's not necessarily scratches. I mentioned this before but I found a friend a beautiful early 50s blonde Gibson ES-350. I went to visit him and there was a Snark hanging off the headstock. I told him to take it off and sure enough it left a footprint in the lacquer. I use clip ons at home but they come right off after tuning up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The current Peterson StroboClip has no metal or hard plastic that touches the headstock. I don't know about the older model. I don't own an iphone, so I have no idea how fast that is, but the StroboClip is fast enough for me. You would have to be very clumsy to scratch a headstock with it, but there are certainly clumsy people in the world. Everyone wants instantaneous, just as they want unicorns.
    I actually bought it. I am comparing it to the iPad version....

User Info Menu

I have a Peterson stroboclip. I don’t think it goes off automatically. However, by far the best tool I have bought for guitars in years. Worth every cent of the $65 i paid for it a year ago exceeds all other tuners by miles.

I use of course to tune my guitar but will never again set up and do a guitar repair without it. Case in point. Last two weeks I have been making ebony saddles for replacements on a Gibson ABR-1 bridge/saddle as drop in replacements. When done I take the new saddle and set it on my own guitar to do string spacing and check for intonation.

The Peterson accurately and fast confirms intonation at 12th fret and all over the neck. It confirms my gut and ear reaction, that a gentle continuous curved saddle provides intonation as well as a tunomatic, at least on archtop guitars. The Peterson clip makes it fun in fact to do this.

Get a Peterson and be done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    It's not necessarily scratches. I mentioned this before but I found a friend a beautiful early 50s blonde Gibson ES-350. I went to visit him and there was a Snark hanging off the headstock. I told him to take it off and sure enough it left a footprint in the lacquer. I use clip ons at home but they come right off after tuning up.
    Do people really leave clip-on tuners on guitars for long periods? That never occurred to me. I do leave tuners on some guitars full time, but they're the D'Addario micro clip-free, which attach using the tuning machine screw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have a Peterson stroboclip. I don’t think it goes off automatically. However, by far the best tool I have bought for guitars in years. Worth every cent of the $65 i paid for it a year ago exceeds all other tuners by miles.

I use of course to tune my guitar but will never again set up and do a guitar repair without it. Case in point. Last two weeks I have been making ebony saddles for replacements on a Gibson ABR-1 bridge/saddle as drop in replacements. When done I take the new saddle and set it on my own guitar to do string spacing and check for intonation.

The Peterson accurately and fast confirms intonation at 12th fret and all over the neck. It confirms my gut and ear reaction, that a gentle continuous curved saddle provides intonation as well as a tunomatic, at least on archtop guitars. The Peterson clip makes it fun in fact to do this.

Get a Peterson and be done.
    I have been using the Petersen iPad app for years, starting with saxophone. Their $1200 ones are the ones we used in high school. You can see every note in all it's, um, "glory..."

My Eastman saddle is shaped to the fretboard. We re-did it to change from 7 to 6 string. I used the Petersen iPad app to set the bridge (which I had never done before). The seller / converter walked me through it.

Have you tried any of the "sweetener" settings? I see that some other models (foot pedal version) have way more offerings than the clip does. As in James Taylor, etc. Those are available for $7 for the iPad version. I'm not sure if that application has all of them...

I wonder which would work best for Jazz hollowbody archtop - "acoustic"? I have tried that one and it does seem a little better.

User Info Menu

A bandmate showed up with that clip-on peterson strobo tuner about a year ago. My battery in the snark was dead so I gave his a try just to get tuned up. I didn't say anything to him that week but was blown away how much more in-tune my guitar was and how much better it sounded. I got one for Christmas. Now the whole band has them, lol. Just a great tuner.

I liked the snark but the super snark is a defective battery hogging piece of crap that doesn't register the notes well. I will be using the Peterson from here forward. Only complaint is the battery compartment cap is a little bit cheap and can come off if you don't take the time to get it twisted back in correctly.

sorry if repeating

does the peterson strobo clip hd
    have auto off ?

User Info Menu

Yes, but it stays on as long as it's detecting vibrations. If you leave it on the headstock while playing, it will keep on strobing as long as you're playing. I think that's intentional, and I prefer it. The ones that cut off after a set time often do it while I'm still trying to tune or intonate, and I hate that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Another +1 for the Peterson. I have one and a TC clip-on. I like both but the Peterson is supposedly more accurate. It is also slightly less fussy than the TC. I also had a no name $10 clip-on that actually wasn't worth $10. It continually failed to recognize the G and B strings.
    The Peterson clip-on also works well on my 7 string acoustic with that low low A. Nice tuner.

Tony

User Info Menu

I have the Boss TU 10 and a Peterson Stroboclip. I have not used the TU 10 on a gig since I bought the Stroboclip. Simply put while I like the Boss unit and the way it attaches, the Stroboclip is absolutely more accurate and quicker to use for me.