The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Any good ones out there ?

I like my snark hz but I have sometimes left it on
    and run the battery down ....
    which it a bit annoying

i think I need one with auto power off
    Check out the D'Addario NS Micro. Small, simple, inexpensive and with auto power off.

User Info Menu

theres 2 kinds of power offs....one that shuts off after a prescribed set time..no matter what...and one that will shut off if no input comes in for a certain period of time....most tuners have the second option..but if you leave it on headstock while playing it will remain on...i dont know of a headstock tuner that shuts off automatically even if you are playing!!

gotta stock up on those 2032 batteries my friend!!! haha

btw was big fan of snarks..went thru them all including hz..which i liked for accuracy

but recently got a peterson strobo clip tuner..and its great!! super accurate

cheers

User Info Menu

I got a TC UniTune from Sweetwater last year. Part number UniTuneClip. It has a 3 minute timeout to auto shut down. I've been very pleased with it.

User Info Menu

+1 for the Peterson Stroboclip

User Info Menu

Also a poly/uni tune user. They are plenty acceptable. I thought they went through batteries too much before I realized that I was most likely using old batteries. I've I stopped getting them in bulk from Amazon they started lasting longer.

So now I only buy batteries in person from a drug store or something. A little more expensive, but at least I know they weren't sitting around in storage for years.

User Info Menu

I like my Intellitouch tuners (I have original one from years ago, and a newer one), and as I was searching to find their web site .... I can't find them!! Has anyone heard: did OnBoard Research (Intellitouch) close down or something?? They make/made good products!

Quote Originally Posted by coryB
    I got a TC UniTune from Sweetwater last year. Part number UniTuneClip. It has a 3 minute timeout to auto shut down. I've been very pleased with it.
    thanks all ,
    i think I'm gonna go for a TC
    i have a TC BAM 200 amp thats well put together ....

no no offence to to other suggestions !

User Info Menu

I've been using a Korg AW-LT 100G for a few years now, which switches off after a few minutes. Accurate and reliable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coryB

good info!! that tc is tc/sweetwater collab item....and even the sweetwater blurb does not mention that time out feature...so good to know from hands on experience!!

i had that tc on my radar before getting the peterson!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Any good ones out there ?

I like my snark hz but I have sometimes left it on
    and run the battery down ....
    which it a bit annoying

i think I need one with auto power off
    update .... update

in in researching these I found that my Snark HZ1
    does have a 2 min auto off already .....

so I just tested it and indeed it's true it works
    (so I must have got it all wrong before)

i do really like the Snark HZ1 otherwise
    so I'm just gonna stick with it for now

sorry to bother you

Daddario Planet Waves PW-CT-17RD – Thomann UK

took a punt on one of these ....
    quite good , display is a bit dimmer than the snark hz1
    but cheaper and works fine
    it also has auto off

Clip on Tuners with auto power off-063a7fac-5cfc-477a-b53c-9276b0e22b4d-jpg

User Info Menu

These look interesting. D'Addario Planet Waves NS Micro Clip Free Tuner Black | Guitar Center
    For the price, I might try one out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    gotta stock up on those 2032 batteries my friend!!! haha
    Just picked up 10 for $5. Should last me a couple years.

About Snarks. I've had several. Usually no problem. The previous one I had got hard to read. I suppose that's a sign the battery is fast running down?

What is the easiest-to-read-in-a-dark-room tuner? (That doesn't cost an arm and a leg.)

User Info Menu

Another +1 for the Peterson. I have one and a TC clip-on. I like both but the Peterson is supposedly more accurate. It is also slightly less fussy than the TC. I also had a no name $10 clip-on that actually wasn't worth $10. It continually failed to recognize the G and B strings.

User Info Menu

I bought a couple of Reverb.com-brand tuners three years ago when they had a sale for $4 each. They actually work very well and I use them more than my Snarks, which I find have a rather wide dead band.

When Peterson first came out with their StroboClip I tried one. I've used a StroboFlip on gigs for many years, so I was really disappointed to find the Clip couldn't seem to find the notes on any of my guitars, especially since a $10 Snark had no problem.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 05-24-2020 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

IME the Snark starts going dim before the battery actually quits. When it gets dim, I just replace the battery.

I ordered one of the (sort of) permanent mount tuners, just to see if it's any more convenient than any that I already have. Staying at home, I'm not really concerned about anyone seeing me with a tuner on the headstock, but I'm sort of curious to see if being screwed to the headstock makes any difference in sensitivity or accuracy vs the clip-on type.

User Info Menu

This is another option for anyone still looking for an auto off tuner. The power on is activated when the tuner is swiveled out for use and then turns back off when the tuner is swiveled back down. I am not sure if it turns off automatically if left swiveled out for a long time. I've never done that. I have used this tuner with my mandolins and guitars. It's very compact, which is nice for mandolins - especially A-style mandolins which don't have a lot of room on the headstock for a clip-on tuner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    J

What is the easiest-to-read-in-a-dark-room tuner? (That doesn't cost an arm and a leg.)
    I've owned the same Peterson Strobo Clip for 9 years now and its still going strong. I use this tuner in low light applications all the time. I also own a older Intell-tuner but the clip doesn't fit over my headless "headstock" whereas the Peterson opens wider.

User Info Menu

I find clip ons hard to read in outdoor light situations, and most of the tuners with auto shut-off won't shut off if you keep playing after tuning, they shut off due to lack of activity.

User Info Menu

Anything with an LCD display is going to be difficult to read in sunlight, including smartphones, tuners, or whatever. There is no way around that, other than making the display significantly brighter, which also has down sides. And yes, you need to turn the tuner off manually when you finish tuning if you're going to continue to play, because they don't turn off until there is a period of no vibration, by design. Some people want to be able to see the display while playing. I don't, so I turn mine off. CR2032 batteries are getting pretty cheap, so I worry about them less than I used to. I have plenty sitting waiting to be used.

User Info Menu

I've gone back to tuner pedals.

User Info Menu

i find the snarks (the blue) amongst the easiest and simplest to see...provided the 2032 battery is fresh...they dim the light fantastic as the batteries wear...

peterson has very readable display...but as its a strobo tuner...it may befuddle some..regardless of its brightness...highly accurate nevertheless

cheers

User Info Menu

The Snark auto-off feature works fine I remove the tuner when I’m done tuning. I doubt any tuner’s auto-off can distinguish between tuning and playing.

I wish the screen stayed bright at less than a full battery voltage. It’s unusably dim long before the battery drops below spec voltage.

The cases do break easily. The electronics failed on one a couple years ago but the case was good so I threw it in my parts bin. Today the case on its replacement broke, so I swapped cases and it’s like new again. One tiny screw and plastic tabs are all that holds it together. The tab on the pushbutton must face outward.

User Info Menu

I like the revised Peterson Stroboclip. I have four of them. The only trouble I have is with its battery compartment "door". The very thin piece of plastic is not going to last very long; I put a strip of 3M electrical tape over it to ensure the battery does not fall out unexpectedly.

It shuts itself down after some inactivity. I like its Sweetened Tuning. The LCD is very readable outside in daylight. The orange backlight works well on a dark stage. Grabs the notes very quickly. I sit it on top of my amp if I don't have to tune silently. It grabs the notes just as well.

I got the Peterson Stroboclips 20% off on a Black Friday sale.