The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Do you have 13s on it ?

Higher tension will bulge the top and may open the center seam.

I find 12s to be the max on the 0,00,000, and the 0000 ( such as mine)
    As mentioned prior, I use 11s on my 00-18V.
    Last edited by bohemian46; 04-26-2020 at 09:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    Do you have 13s on it ?

Higher tension will bulge the top and may open the center seam.

I find 12s to be the max on the 0,00,000, and the 0000 ( such as mine)
    As mentioned prior, I use 11s on my 00-18V.
    No. (We've gone through this already on this thread).

My 'sin': leaving it uncased. I also, when 1st I took it home, saw 2 lines at top and figured they were wood threads, didn't tell the shop people. Wishful thinking...

User Info Menu

Joel,

Does your home have low humidity? It could be that the dry air is causing the wood to shrink a bit. Here's a trick that might work. Get some snack or sandwich sized ziplocs and punch holes in them. Then take a couple of clean cello sponges, cut to fit the baggies, get them wet and then squeeze them to get all the water out. Put them in the baggies, seal them and stick them inside the sound hole. Put the guitar in its case and close it up. Check the baggies periodically, rewetting as necessary, and monitor the crack.

If you're lucky, the wood will expand and seal the crack up. It's worth a shot.

Joe

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj
    Joel,

Does your home have low humidity? It could be that the dry air is causing the wood to shrink a bit. Here's a trick that might work. Get some snack or sandwich sized ziplocs and punch holes in them. Then take a couple of clean cello sponges, cut to fit the baggies, get them wet and then squeeze them to get all the water out. Put them in the baggies, seal them and stick them inside the sound hole. Put the guitar in its case and close it up. Check the baggies periodically, rewetting as necessary, and monitor the crack.

If you're lucky, the wood will expand and seal the crack up. It's worth a shot.

Joe
    OK---but I thought that's what the humidifier was for?

I'll try it, though. No action from the shop. She called me today---closed by ordinance, of course...

User Info Menu

Do you mean a room humidifier or one of those guitar humidifier gadgets?

If you have one of those guitar humidifiers, go ahead and use that instead of the baggies, but keep it in the case. If the crack closes up, you should be OK until you can get it your repair guy.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj
    Do you mean a room humidifier or one of those guitar humidifier gadgets?

If you have one of those guitar humidifiers, go ahead and use that instead of the baggies, but keep it in the case. If the crack closes up, you should be OK until you can get it your repair guy.
    It's a guitar humidifier.

You mean never take it out of the case, or leave it in after use?