The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 81
    joelf Guest
    Exactly my plan, thanks...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    More smitten with the sound every minute.

Dark, woody, gorgeous...

User Info Menu

I have owned 2 of the original -1 series guitars.
    The first bought new in 1997.. a 0000-1 , yes a 0000-1... one of 370 made, price was $700 and discontinued in 2000 when $1250.
    I sold that, missed it and bought the second used 5 years ago $500 in mint condition.

When I bought the first I called Martin customer service ( the one that existed before the current consumer service dept)
    Specifically about strings. The then head of the dept suggested that I use no heavier than 12s which would be adequate to drive the top.
    13s WILL pull the top up especially in the 000 and the 00.

13- 56s Never. Far too much tension. Higher tension strings often counter tone, volume, timbre and playability.
    I haven't used 13's on an acoustic in 30 years, even on my dreads. 12s max.
    As was mentioned, adjust yourself before the guitar. Strings are the easiest change.
    Big strings can kill a guitar especially the 0,00,000,OM boxes.

The specs on these guitars.. just the high points:

Solid mahogany backs, laminated mahogany sides, sitka tops.
    1 piece mahogany necks. Very high quality EI rosewood fingerboards and bridges.
    Ping Chinese tuners.

Recommended up grades would be;
    Bone nut and saddle.
    Grover open back tuners.
    Higher quality bevel edge pickguard.
    Proper set up.

I use only 12-52 strings . D'Addario most often. I currently use 11s on my 00-18V, all I need for volume , tone and playability.

The original 1 series guitars are excellent.
    After they were discontinued several years later there was a second series of 1 models. Be aware in no way are these the equivalent of the original 1 series.. one feature is laminated sides and backs, lower quality tops and plantation rosewood fingerboards and bridges.

Congrats on the guitar and best of luck but get those 13-56s off it. Try some 12-52s.

BTW I tune my 0000-1 down one step and capo on the 2nd fret for two reasons... Back to standard tuning, and the fret-nut gives me a 1 3/4" plus width.

User Info Menu

^ cool!!!.. thank you b46!!! exactly what i been warning about since the beginning of fass' thread!!

great first hand wisdom! appreciated...listen up jf

cheers

User Info Menu

One other note, I have owned well over 100 guitars, yes, I know, nuts.
    14 have been Martins.. currently three to include the mentioned 00-18V and the 0000-1.
    I have also owned my first guitar, a 1939 00-17.
    Followed by these and others:
    1969 D35S
    1971 D-18 (now on permanent loan to my grandson)
    Several D-18 S and VS models
    Custom made D 18VS with soild head stock rather than the standard slotted ( long story on this one)
    Custom 00-17 Ordered back to back with the above guitar (another long , sad, story dealing with Martin Consumer service)
    D-18 E etc

I have messed about with string sizes and brands over the years.

As to brands D'Addario as a default because of consistency of tone and playability, currently some custom made light sets from France.. they're ok but nothing more, Martin SPs my least favorite , Elixirs meh, on and on. I concluded that gauge is as important as anything else and that a temporary boost by using 13s will fade and they are overkill just like high action. . And that 12s are fine giving that I have played long enough to get what I want out of them without compromising the instrument. My experience of course. I will add I am a fingerpicker.

Differences are slight but least favorite are the SPs, my favorites were the original Gibson Monels which I installed at the suggestion of the then head of Martin Customer Service ( Lon "Buzz" Werner.. great loss when he retired as head of repair and warranty.. ) who said if you want to wake up a Martin 0, 00, 000, or OM these were the best in his opinion. And now Martin is touting them as if it was their independent discovery.

Best of luck with the 000-1 I am looking for one of those or the rare OM versions and one of the Dreads.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    I have owned 2 of the original -1 series guitars.
    The first bought new in 1997.. a 0000-1 , yes a 0000-1... one of 370 made, price was $700 and discontinued in 2000 when $1250.
    I sold that, missed it and bought the second used 5 years ago $500 in mint condition.

When I bought the first I called Martin customer service ( the one that existed before the current consumer service dept)
    Specifically about strings. The then head of the dept suggested that I use no heavier than 12s which would be adequate to drive the top.
    13s WILL pull the top up especially in the 000 and the 00.

13- 56s Never. Far too much tension. Higher tension strings often counter tone, volume, timbre and playability.
    I haven't used 13's on an acoustic in 30 years, even on my dreads. 12s max.
    As was mentioned, adjust yourself before the guitar. Strings are the easiest change.
    Big strings can kill a guitar especially the 0,00,000,OM boxes.

The specs on these guitars.. just the high points:

Solid mahogany backs, laminated mahogany sides, sitka tops.
    1 piece mahogany necks. Very high quality EI rosewood fingerboards and bridges.
    Ping Chinese tuners.

Recommended up grades would be;
    Bone nut and saddle.
    Grover open back tuners.
    Higher quality bevel edge pickguard.
    Proper set up.

I use only 12-52 strings . D'Addario most often. I currently use 11s on my 00-18V, all I need for volume , tone and playability.

The original 1 series guitars are excellent.
    After they were discontinued several years later there was a second series of 1 models. Be aware in no way are these the equivalent of the original 1 series.. one feature is laminated sides and backs, lower quality tops and plantation rosewood fingerboards and bridges.

Congrats on the guitar and best of luck but get those 13-56s off it. Try some 12-52s.

BTW I tune my 0000-1 down one step and capo on the 2nd fret for two reasons... Back to standard tuning, and the fret-nut gives me a 1 3/4" plus width.
    Thanks for the concern and stretching out like that. Good info I take to heart...

joelf Guest
    It's coming back from the additional (bone) saddle raising tomorrow or soon after.

I'm listening to everyone's sage advice and only changing the two high strings to 17 and 13. Fred feels that should be fine, and the raised saddle will address the concerns I expressed here.

Hoping to get it back in time for a gig Monday that requires quiet playing...

joelf Guest
    Well, baby's home with daddy, with a higher saddle and a world of difference! If anything I have to now get used to the higher action---a mite higher than I prefer. But it's playing and sounding aces, and I couldn't be more pleased. I even like the brighter sounding bronze phosphors.

In fact there's so much more sound and resistance now I was convinced at first that the lady who raised the saddle went against her own advice and put 13s on. She assured me that the original set of 12s are on! I'll play these strings until the sound darkens and rounds a bit, then try the Retros. And no need to change the top 2---or anything now!

If I weren't such a techno-simp I'd post a celebratory vid so you can hear what I'm hearing. But I'll be recording on this guitar plenty, so...

Thank you all for your suggestions and concern. Big ups!

User Info Menu

Congratulations all around. Enjoy your babies!

User Info Menu

f the saddle is too high you can just sand off a smidge.
    I'd play it for awhile first and see if I liked it this way.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    f the saddle is too high you can just sand off a smidge.
    I'd play it for awhile first and see if I liked it this way.
    Been playing it today. It's fine, wouldn't touch a thing.

Thanks, though...

joelf Guest
    Did my first gig w/it today! (Would've been 2 Mondays ago at my steady, but it was being set up).

I tried, and failed, to insert a Fishman round hole pick up. It wasn't working, not going all the way in, so, concerned about damaging the wood I bagged it and 'went bareback'. My partner had a big-ass amp, and anyway we have to play soft in there. Did that guitar project! You could hear me at the end of the hall, sans amp.

I do want to get a floating or other type pick up that won't damage the wood, for certain situations. Suggestions?

User Info Menu

I've used Bill Lawrence, Duncan, DeArmond soundhole pickups for 40 years on my dreadnaught. I love them over horrible quacky piezo pups. How does it damage the wood? I don't see how, they usually use cork or soft rubber in the clamp. What Fishman is it?

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with light gauge strings on Martins. They sound just fine with lights. In the case of my DSS-17, Martin actually recommends lighter gauge strings, due to the guitar being more lightly built, than your typical 'dread. I don't know if Martin made the DSS Series lighter, due to them being slope shouldered dreadnoughts, or to add the the general vintage vibe the guitars have, since many vintage acoustics were more lightly built than they are nowadays. Whatever the case may be, the guitar sounds anything but wimpy - it's one of the most aggressive sounding acoustic guitars I've ever had in my 41 years of guitar playing.

My DSS-17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Did my first gig w/it today! (Would've been 2 Mondays ago at my steady, but it was being set up).

I tried, and failed, to insert a Fishman round hole pick up. It wasn't working, not going all the way in, so, concerned about damaging the wood I bagged it and 'went bareback'. My partner had a big-ass amp, and anyway we have to play soft in there. Did that guitar project! You could hear me at the end of the hall, sans amp.

I do want to get a floating or other type pick up that won't damage the wood, for certain situations. Suggestions?
    Which pickup did you try? I have a Fishman Neo-D Humbucking pickup. It's pretty narrow, and easier to fit than other soundhole pickups I've tried.

John

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Which pickup did you try? I have a Fishman Neo-D Humbucking pickup. It's pretty narrow, and easier to fit than other soundhole pickups I've tried.

John
    I don't know the model, John. And I chipped the f out of the wood on my cheap workhorse Ibanez---actually made a small hole. No way I'm repeating that with this great instrument.

Besides, they're a minor pain in the ass to install: you have to keep pushing down to clear the strings, and that's where you risk chipping the wood. I'd rather try some kind of pick up that stays outside, and leaves the guitar 'all original'. But thanks.

Anyone?

joelf Guest
    Just order this---I believe problem solved:

Access to this page has been denied.

Not denied. Anyway, it's a Seymour Duncan 'Woody' single-coil mounted. Fits right into the hole externally.

Thank you all...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Just order this---I believe problem solved:

Access to this page has been denied.

Not denied. Anyway, it's a Seymour Duncan 'Woody' single-coil mounted. Fits right into the hole externally.

Thank you all...
    I have a Woody as a backup pickup, in case the battery for the pickup in my Taylor 150e 12-string bites the dust. It's a pretty decent pickup, that I can mount up in any of my acoustics in just a matter of minutes.

User Info Menu

agreed ellen ^...it's a regular all around useful pup...might have to point the guitar in certain directions to buck hum...but

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-10-2020 at 11:01 PM.

joelf Guest
    I'll know in a few days. Don't see why I wouldn't like it.

Thanks, all...

User Info Menu

That's basically the style pup I was talking about, also. They do a great job, IMO.

joelf Guest
    Can't wait! Will have it in time for Englewood next Monday...

joelf Guest
    Problem solved! The Seymour Duncan Woody arrived today. Fits like a glove and sounds aces.

Best $45 I ever invested!

joelf Guest
    OH NOOO!!

Just noticed a 5-inch crack opening below the saddle. And no one's open to repair it.

My own stupid fault for leaving it uncased in my apartment many days at a time.

Damn!!!

joelf Guest
    Bump. Found it today.

AAARGHH!!!