The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

I
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

Interesting that it's stamped on the back brace 13's or lighter, last I checked I think the website is kind of contradictory, in one section it says all 000 and 00 sizes get light strings, another says all of their 6 string steel guitars are tested to use mediums, but keep an eye for possible bulging if going that high
    don't see that as contradictory wm...saying they are tested to withstand 13's but give warning check for problems...but they recommend 12's without caveats!!!

much like tire pressure gives max possible figures! (before they explode) and recommended driving/riding!!!

sort of like a yellow light!! hah

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    All I know is I hate the way this guitar currently sounds and plays with the close action and light strings. I like some resistance and a big, full sound. It's got potential and I'll wind up loving it I'm sure---but after a set up and some experimenting/tweaking. The other thing is that the strings it came with are so old. It's like hitting paper. I haven't even had time to change them. But the neck size is perfect for my hands, the instrument is physically in fantastic shape--not a blemish on it---and I'll get the other stuff together. Another great thing: a 1999 is gonna have aged wood. I don't think these smaller models are meant to be that loud anyway. Only so much sound can resonate and come back out with a small body---simple physics, I think. That's why I passed on the small (dark brown) mahogany model the 1st time I bought a Martin. It sounded beautiful, but small.

I'll figure this out and make beautiful music on this guitar. I already have a gig that it's perfect for coming up in April: a solo concert date in an intimate space. And it'll be miced. ('Miced'? Sounds like that old Groucho joke: Margaret Dumont: 'Mice don't make music!' Groucho: 'No? What about the old Mice-tro?').

I'm here through Thursday...

Keep hope alive!
    Last edited by joelf; 02-05-2020 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Play it hard and make it look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images 1999 Martin 000-1-martin-ooo18-bb-jpg 

joelf Guest
    This guy seems to be getting lots of sound out of it (albeit brighter than I like for myself). Can't tell the gauge strings, but it is set up well for his kind of playing. I'd be over the moon if I could get mine like his:

joelf Guest
    A damn good description, just for the hell of it:

Martin 000 vs OM, what's the diff? | One Man's Guitar

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Play it hard and make it look like this:
    Willie Nelson's guitar makes this look mint...

Repairing Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger" - Alltop Viral

joelf Guest
    Scene (after the set up):

Awakenings Quote - UberQuotes

joelf Guest
    Just got off the phone w/a Martin rep, who said putting the 13s on with my set up should be fine---just watch the bridge for any pulling. YAAAYY!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    A damn good description, just for the hell of it:

Martin 000 vs OM, what's the diff? | One Man's Guitar
    Uh I read that and am even more confused than before...

User Info Menu

All I know is I hate the way this guitar currently sounds and plays with the close action and light strings. I like some resistance and a big, full sound. It's got potential and I'll wind up loving it I'm sure---but after a set up and some experimenting/tweaking. The other thing is that the strings it came with are so old. It's like hitting paper. I haven't even had time to change them. But the neck size is perfect for my hands, the instrument is physically in fantastic shape--not a blemish on it---and I'll get the other stuff together. Another great thing: a 1999 is gonna have aged wood. I don't think these smaller models are meant to be that loud anyway. Only so much sound can resonate and come back out with a small body---simple physics, I think. That's why I passed on the small (dark brown) mahogany model the 1st time I bought a Martin. It sounded beautiful, but small.

I'll figure this out and make beautiful music on this guitar. I already have a gig that it's perfect for coming up in April: a solo concert date in an intimate space. And it'll be miced. ('Miced'? Sounds like that old Groucho joke: Margaret Dumont: 'Mice don't make music!' Groucho: 'No? What about the old Mice-tro?').

I'm here through Thursday...

Keep hope alive!
    Joel, those Series 1 Martin's are great guitars. A buddy of mine picked up a D-1 several years ago, and it's a great player. Congrats on the score.

While you're getting it set up, you might want to check into replacing the saddle. I think, though I'm not sure, that they originally came with a Tusq saddle (Musician's Friend has the specs for the OM-1 archived. I'm pretty sure they are similar to your 000-1). Replacing it with bone might just be the ticket.

User Info Menu

I have had quite a few small body guitars and still do. I think it is common knowledge that a small body can take 13's or "mediums" as they call them in the acoustic world. A vintage parlor guitar with a small footprint bridge may be a different story.

As noted above sometime mediums are not the right fit for the guitar as they can put too much pressure on the top and sort of kill the sound.

A like the half-way approach and string mine all mine with this set EJ24.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj
    Joel, those Series 1 Martin's are great guitars. A buddy of mine picked up a D-1 several years ago, and it's a great player. Congrats on the score.

While you're getting it set up, you might want to check into replacing the saddle. I think, though I'm not sure, that they originally came with a Tusq saddle (Musician's Friend has the specs for the OM-1 archived. I'm pretty sure they are similar to your 000-1). Replacing it with bone might just be the ticket.
    Thanks. I'll ask about this, but ultimately defer to the advice of the shop owner-repairman, Fred, when the set up happens next week...

joelf Guest
    So I've been playing it a little each night---and I can tell I'm gonna have a ball gigging and recording with it.

I've been shedding my tunes for a gig at Fat Cat next Friday, even though I'm using my archtop Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin for that. Just getting acquainted, and what better excuse?

The actual maiden voyage, unless something comes in sooner, will be on a solo concert in April at an intimate space: the Suzuki Piano School here in Philly. I plan to play with only the house mic for amplification.

Good times ahead!

User Info Menu

Thanks. I'll ask about this, but ultimately defer to the advice of the shop owner-repairman, Fred, when the set up happens next week...
    Fred's the shop owner, not a luthier.
    BUT, you'll not find anyone that knows more about guitars anywhere (or violins for that matter, he's the head of that dept @ Christie's as well)

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ...not a luthier.
    He doesn't build, but he repairs. I'm sure he can do my set up in his sleep...

joelf Guest
    I am loving playing this guitar more each time---even with the low action and light strings. I've already adjusted my touch and attack, as a pianist might for a strange or new piano.

Just worked out on Lionel Ritchie's Hello, and the Joel Fass sound is alive and well on a 1999 Martin 000-1! Anyone's would be---it's so easy on a superior instrument.

Full report to come after Wednesday's set up---and I hope I'm not driving yiz nutso w/all this posting. I'm not always this happy is all (;

joelf Guest
    My new love is in the shop for the set up. I trust Fred implicitly, and he's on the same page w/everyone who warned against the 13s. We reached the compromise broached earlier here: to leave the 12s (a Retro set for a darker sound) as the main event, save for the B and E. He's raising the saddle to my needs, and replacing it w/bone. That'll make a world of difference in sound projection and quality.

Should be a wonderful transformation. I have gigs where I can't wait to use this for. Full report when I get my love back in a day or two...

User Info Menu

he's on the same page w/everyone who warned against the 13s. .
    Not buying it about the 13's...anyway here is a set you might really like for that guitar

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-sh...ce/c-24/p-1423

joelf Guest
    OK---but if I argue with Fred he may punish me the way they did back in Hebrew school when they caught me reading From Russia With Love underneath my Aleph Bass lesson.

I'll leave the details to your imagination...

joelf Guest
    Oh, and to the person that posted back in the Bronze Age of this thread about installing a bone saddle: yep, coming right up per my man Fred...

joelf Guest
    NO CHARGE FOR THE SET UP!!

How cool is THAT?!!

Back in my lovin' arms Monday--with full report...

joelf Guest
    Well, my baby's home and set up! Fred raised the saddle, changed it to bone, put on 12s, and gave me a courtesy set of Martin Monel Retro 'medium lights' (56-13), so I can put on the high B and E---17 and 13---like I've been wanting to.

There has been a large improvement in playability, not so much in sound projection/quality. I've come to realize that there's only so much volume and body one can get with these smaller body guitars. I will adjust and tweak.

The 1st unofficial performance was today, before my fellow members of a training group (another subject for another day). We enjoyed it. I'm gonna play this guitar! At my steady Englewood Hospital gig, where we have to play quietly anyway; and at a solo concert date in April at the intimate space of the Suzuki Piano School here in Philly. 3-watt Blackstar amp for Englewood; house mic at Suzuki.

Vintage Instruments: you are the best!! No charge for the set up or strings (a minimum $60+strings expenditure everywhere else). If you need a fine acoustic guitar (as well as other assorted instruments) and are within striking distance of Philadelphia they are for you!

User Info Menu

My first new flattop was a Toredo rendition of a Martin 000 - plywood, adjustable bridge - but I loved that little beauty. With 13s and action high enough to keep anyone else from touching it twice, I logged more hours on it than I could count. You've got a fine instrument, and I know you will do it justice. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

joelf Guest
    Playing it more. It has a dark sound all its own I'm getting used to and digging. The saddle can be still higher, and I'll put on those medium gauge top 2.

I don't love the smallness of the sound, but nothing to do about that except go against all sensible advice and put on medium gauge strings. I won't...

User Info Menu

on small body guitars, heavier is not always better..the body can only do so much..after that you are just deadening it further...its a ooo...its not gonna compete with j-200's!!...a different priceless tone

adjust yourself, before readjusting it

cheers