The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 81
    joelf Guest
    ....a 1999 Martin model 000-1 small auditorium size acoustic guitar! Just the right size for my physical stature and small hands.

My heartfelt thanks must go out to Vintage Instruments of South Philadelphia for their generous offer of allowing a 4-month lay-away period. That is rare today.

Bless small businesses---especially those as big-hearted as this one. They are still the backbone of this nation.

Am I over the moon? Guess...

(pics to follow)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    One question, guys:

The guitar came strung with 12s (with an extra courtesy set). I'm a lifelong user of 13s---they're perfect for my touch and attack. I'm of a mind to change but---and it's a big but: the very knowledgeable woman at Vintage Instruments recommends against 13s for this size guitar, b/c of neck pressure and the risk of warping or bowing.

Add to this a past nightmare experience w/my first Martin a few years back. Equally well-meaning and knowledgeable salespeople urged me to 1) always keep the instrument humidified; and 2) keep it in the hard shell case. In true schmuck-like fashion I humidified it for maybe the first week, and always took it out in a gig bag---padded, but nonetheless a gig bag. The result: Between me gently dropping it in case, the cold winter weather I exposed it to in and out of that gig bag the guitar cracked in 3 places and a hole near the bottom developed. I had it repaired, but was so heartbroken I cried. Inconsolable, and pissed at my carelessness. (I also thought at the time that Martin's cutting corners lately on quality of materials may have also been partly to blame---but I was so upset I was beyond rationality). I ended up selling it to a friend for 1/2 of what I paid.

That tale of woe has wised me up: I intend to listen to knowledgeable people who have my interests at heart. The guitar will be humidified and cased in the hard case, except when I take it outside in the warmer weather and use of the gig bag will be safer than in winter.

So again I put to Martin owners and people here with instrument maintenance expertise the question:

Can using heavy gauge strings on this small auditorium size Martin 000-1 pull and even slightly damage its neck? No way do I want to act as stupidly as I did with that lamented 1st Martin.

I thank you in advance for your advice and concern,

Joel Fass

User Info Menu

Lovely guitars. Perfect size and materials for a balanced attack.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Lovely guitars. Perfect size and materials for a balanced attack.
    Mr. Soloway: may I tap your expertise to answer the question posed above?

User Info Menu

nice!!! small body and longer scale...they gave you sage advice...martin recommends light strings (which are 12's for them)

from martin-

smaller models such as the OOO and the OO get light gauge strings

the guitar is 20 years old...stick with recommended...bronze 12's have some tension...not like playin electric strings

congrats!!

cheers

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice!!! small body and longer scale...they gave you sage advice...martin recommends light strings (which are 12's for them)

from martin-

smaller models such as the OOO and the OO get light gauge strings

the guitar is 20 years old...stick with recommended...bronze 12's have some tension...not like playin electric strings

congrats!!

cheers
    Bronze, eh? I just checked, and the 2 courtesy sets are indeed Martin phosphor bronze 12s. I'll have to adjust---though I'm sad, at least right now, to give up that big resonant sound I love (and am known for). An acoustic is a different animal, I know. You get a sound you like on electric from a variety of factors, not just the strings.

Guess it's time to approach a different horizon. Thanks for the congrats and heads-up...

User Info Menu

well with the small body and long scale, you gotta be careful...plus your getting a 20 year old guitar that you really don't know the history of...better to stay on the side of caution..at least in the beginning...and as martin recommends!! (they build 'em...they know what they can withstand!)

phosphor bronze is 70's tech...before that they used 80/20 bronze...which was a bit brighter and more "bell" like...true vintage...depends what kind of tone you are going after...there's also martin retro monels for a gentler tone...many many string options these days!!

john d'angelico's preferred strings were 80/20 on hex core...still readily available these days

cheers

joelf Guest
    well with the small body and long scale, you gotta be careful...plus your getting a 20 year old guitar that you really don't know the history of...better to stay on the side of caution..at least in the beginning...and as martin recommends!! (they build 'em...they know what they can withstand!)

phosphor bronze is 70's tech...before that they used 80/20 bronze...which was a bit brighter and more "bell" like...true vintage...depends what kind of tone you are going after...there's also martin retro monels for a gentler tone...many many string options these days!!

john d'angelico's preferred strings were 80/20 on hex core...still readily available these days

cheers
    Thanks, man---really. Good info. I'll adjust my touch, especially on the high E, and make it work...

joelf Guest
    Preoccupied as I was w/the lighter strings, I only just now noticed that the action is also very low for me. Letting a good repairman raise it will doubtless increase the sound production.

Duh...

User Info Menu

if it's just the plain high e & b strings that concern you, you could probably get away with going a gauge higher on those...and leaving the 12 gauge set wound strings as they are!!...cobble a set together

all plain strings are basically the same...acoustic or electric string sets!...you could sub any 13 for the 12

cheers

ps- i would go with the reg 12 set first!..but just something to keep in mind for down the line

User Info Menu

On flatops I always suggest going with the lightest gage you can get away with. A flatop does not need something bigger than a .12 to drive the top (or it should not) and even .11 to 52. would be nice.

Of course you realized that without a photo it did not happen. I am not a flattop person but a ooo Martin is one of the finest. They respond well to almost any touch and are just plain nice guitars.

photo photo photo

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    ....and even .11 to 52. would be nice. photo photo photo
    Thanks, really. 11s are simply too radical a departure for my sound and touch, though. Gonna stay with the 12s, maybe get ones a bit softer and rounder in sound---and have the action raised...

User Info Menu

It might be stamped on the guitar in the soundhole as to the max recommended gauge.
    To my knowledge, in Martin lingo, medium gauge is 13's.
    I would personally not buy a Martin that I could not put 13's on.
    I would expect it would be fine.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    It might be stamped on the guitar in the soundhole as to the max recommended gauge.
    To my knowledge, in Martin lingo, medium gauge is 13's.
    I would personally not buy a Martin that I could not put 13's on.
    I would expect it would be fine.
    I checked. It's stamped on the inner wood brace to use medium (13s) or lighter, so...

joelf Guest
    i'd suggest you don't get a 000 or 00

a small body and long scale puts lots of pressure on neck joint and bridge area

cheers
    Too late now, pardner.

Down and dirty---LOL...

User Info Menu

no i meant the poster ^ wengr who wouldnt get a martin if he cldnt use 13's!!!

OOO or OO's are great!!! well done!!! only martins i'd buy!.. just be judicious with it

cheers

ps- the deacon ^ is on the right track...these small body guitars don't need super heavy strings...they need to be able to resonate...not get choked out...of course there are design factors...12 fret vs 14 fret ...mahog vs spruce...etc etc...but in general...

joelf Guest
    Thank you all!

Time to come down from the day's excitement and chill with a stupid film on DVD. Got an early day tomorrow.

Thanks again..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Mr. Soloway: may I tap your expertise to answer the question posed above?
    Sorry Joel but my expertise is definitely not in these types of guitars. There are lots of people here who will give you more reliable information on this one.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Sorry Joel but my expertise is definitely not in these types of guitars. There are lots of people here who will give you more reliable information on this one.
    Thank you, though. I know of your reputation and respect what you have to say---and in this case your candor...

User Info Menu

Kind of unrelated, but I bought my wife an Alvarez Masterworks MDS1 baby dreadnaught, similar to the Taylor baby. Solid top and back, fabulous sound. Anyway, it's a small 12.5" bout, 23" scale. I put 13s on it, and it still has a nice soft touch for her because of the scale, but a big round booming sound.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, Joel. Congrats. I love 00 and 000 size Martins.

John.

joelf Guest

User Info Menu

I'd contact Martin for an authoritative answer to your string gauge question:

Martin Guitar Customer Service | C.F. Martin & Co.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I'd contact Martin for an authoritative answer to your string gauge question:

Martin Guitar Customer Service | C.F. Martin & Co.
    Thanks. I trust the owner of Vintage Instruments to straighten me out. He's not a luthier, but a serious Martin dealer and respected repairman. If we have to contact Martin when I bring it in for a set-up we will. Right now it's not nearly where it will be. The action is ridiculously low, the sound isn't where it will be, and the top 2 strings play like paper.

I'm in love anyway...

User Info Menu

I'd put no more than 12's on it at least to start. You can probably get away w/13's on a dread pretty easily, though I'd probably still start out w/12's and get it properly set up, you might find they work best w/the action you prefer.

Interesting that it's stamped on the back brace 13's or lighter, last I checked I think the website is kind of contradictory, in one section it says all 000 and 00 sizes get light strings, another says all of their 6 string steel guitars are tested to use mediums, but keep an eye for possible bulging if going that high