The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

What gigbags are of comparable quality to what Glenn and his old reunion blues bags used to be? Does it even exist? How’s the new copies of the Glenn bags after his company got bought?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use four different bags from MONO Bags , one for my pedalboard and three in various sizes for my guitars. All perform just great, offer very good protection, are easy to carry, have clever storage solutions and hold up to the rigors of the road. The oldest is about 6 years old and doesn't show it. Check them out !

User Info Menu

Mono makes excellent bags as does Reunion Blues Continental in my case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    What gigbags are of comparable quality to what Glenn and his old reunion blues bags used to be? Does it even exist? How’s the new copies of the Glenn bags after his company got bought?
    I've spoken with Glenn about the new company before, and he wouldn't have let them take his name if he weren't happy with them! They certainly look nice, and Glenn's bags last forever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I use four different bags from MONO Bags , one for my pedalboard and three in various sizes for my guitars. All perform just great, offer very good protection, are easy to carry, have clever storage solutions and hold up to the rigors of the road. The oldest is about 6 years old and doesn't show it. Check them out !
    Will this Mono bag fit an L5?
    Classic Jumbo Acoustic Guitar Case, Black
    – MONO

Keith

User Info Menu

I have two mono bags. One with an archtop in it and one for a pedal board. Guitar gig bag is probably as good as it gets. The pedal board bag seemed way overpriced. However, now that I've had it around for awhile it goes into the 'pricey but worth it' category.

As for what fits I would not trust opinions or online experiences. If you're going to drop over $250 for a bag to protect a $5K guitar, probably need to measure twice and check out the inside dimensions of the bag ( 17” x 44” x 5” or 432 x 1118 x 127 mm).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Will this Mono bag fit an L5?
    Classic Jumbo Acoustic Guitar Case, Black
    – MONO

Keith
    Yes - my 1939 L-5 is in one right now.

User Info Menu

I use a Mono M80 and like it very much.

The only issue I've had is that the string ends coming out of the tuners (which I trim when I change strings) has torn up the inside of the bag where they make contact with it. Now I trim them shorter. Might be a good idea to put something there to prevent this problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I use a Mono M80 and like it very much.

The only issue I've had is that the string ends coming out of the tuners (which I trim when I change strings) has torn up the inside of the bag where they make contact with it. Now I trim them shorter. Might be a good idea to put something there to prevent this problem.
    Huh, mine looks like they do have something there to prevent a problem...

Archtop 17 " gigbag-img_6935-jpg

User Info Menu

Not all L5's are the same dimensions, correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Not all L5's are the same dimensions, correct?
    I'd wager any L-5 from 1938 or so on, has substantially similar dimensions for the purpose of a gig bag. And probably even for the purposes of a custom-fit flight case.
    And if you've got a 1935-1938 L-5, it'd only be slightly shorter.

And if you have a 16" L-5 1924-1934... you'd probably know enough to know it's smaller.

User Info Menu

What kind of travel have you done with an archtop in a mono case?

I have a parlor sized mono for my guild m20. It barely fits lengthwise, I have to wedge it in headstock first. That aside, nice enough bag. not sure if I trust it as checked luggage, but I think it should be fine for most situations. The sides are semi rigid and the back and front are soft but padded. So not much crush protection, and I'd be concerned about floating bridges and bigsbies. But mine also has those interior patches to protect against damage from the strings or bridge. And the pockets are nice, and it can accommodate a tick, if you want to bring some pedals (or clean underwear).

But it is nice to know there's an option for 17" guitars, not that I tote then around much.

User Info Menu

There are flight worthy cases (Calton comes to mind) but you cannot use any gig bag, not even a good one like the Mono, for this purpose. They do not offer the crush protection of a hard case and as checked luggage your guitar would not survive a single leg of the journey.

Also.. have you checked what airlines charge to transport a guitar nowadays?

User Info Menu

That Mono Jumbo looks large enough for an 18" Super 400.

My Ribbecke Guitar Company Halfling comes in a Made in the Far East Reunion Blues Continental Midnight; the RB Conti Voyager replaces it. It is a semi-hard case. The Halfling is purportedly 17" across its lower bout. Hey, I am not going to measure it and risk putting a ding in it.

The RB Conti is rather heavy though, about 4.5Kg. But I trust schlepping a guitar in it.

By the way, for anybody worried about headstock whiplash damage, try wrapping athletic bandage around that part. Be sensible about how tightly you wrap it, of course. And you remove it before playing, in case it is not blinking obvious.

User Info Menu

The bag is pretty roomy. I have not tried it with my 18" but bet it would fit.

This is a 17" I'm currently working on and while it looks like it would slide around a bit in the bag, it doesn't appear to when everything is zipped up. Their system of locking in the neck/headstock area looks pretty good.

Archtop 17 " gigbag-imgp6225-jpgArchtop 17 " gigbag-imgp6221-jpg

User Info Menu

I've flown my Mono bag 3 times. But it was under very specific circumstances:
    1. Non-stop; no connecting flights
    2. I knew the plane on each flight, and knew for sure it would fit in the closet (from experience)
    3. I would get priority boarding

I made Platinum on Delta this year, and I had couple first-class upgrades, so there were a couple flights where I decided to go for it. Oh, and then I flew it on Southwest because I knew I'd get it on with them.

Bear in mind, I'm used to dealing with the negotiations of getting my guitar carried on. I've got something around 100 flights in the last 5-6 years, so I'm pretty good at knowing what to do.

That said, out side of those 3 times, I otherwise use Hoffee flight cases.
    The one for my 16" guitars has done 70-80 flights, almost always as checked baggage.
    And I usually carry on the one for my 17" guitar. I recommend those without hesitation.

That said, it felt so luxurious to roll with a gig bag, and then be able to use the gig bag once I got the gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I've spoken with Glenn about the new company before, and he wouldn't have let them take his name if he weren't happy with them! They certainly look nice, and Glenn's bags last forever!

I contacted the company to order a bag, but there was a lot of measurements required to order one. The Reunion Blues bag's Glenn used to make would fit a 17" archtop universally, wouldn't they? I don't want the bag to JUST fit one guitar. What if you want a new 17" archtop...

User Info Menu

These things scare the hell out of me . . . probably since I've had many encounters with a guy named Murphy. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Bear in mind, I'm used to dealing with the negotiations of getting my guitar carried on. I've got something around 100 flights in the last 5-6 years, so I'm pretty good at knowing what to do.
    Maybe you could share some tips here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Maybe you could share some tips here.
    Oy, that's hard.
    I mean it's human engineering, and there's fine line you have to walk between being assertive and being nice.
    Charm helps. Humor.

That's not much to go on, but it's what I use.

User Info Menu

Old thread, but any other suggestions for a quality 17' archtop besides the mono jumbo one? I would prefer something a bit lighter and made more for everyday city transport rather than flying.

Recently got a couple of Rbx Reunion Blues, didn't like the acoustic one, the dreadnought model hardly fits both my Taylors (810 and 512 - specifically the upper bout is smaller than both so it is a very tight fit, and the 810 headstock is touching the top of the bag all around). My 16' Elferink fits, my 17' doesn't (needs a 44 length bag, also is pretty deep, probably 3,5'). Zippers feel cheap and are hard to operate, it looks like a 70-80€ bag (not a 130-140€ one).

Probably the more expensive Reunion Blues are better, but they are same dimensions and heavier. I also chose the Rbx series cause the shoulder belts are stitched and I've had bags with a belt clip where I accidentally opened the clip and the bag fell. Really don't understand why they use clips on so many expensive bags.

I also don't like how tightly the bag presses all 3 guitars tops and bridges, but haven't had much experience with many brands so maybe this is common? Been using cases and Mooradian bags for a long time, which have a very loose fit, but they need to be replaced after many years.. And I haven't seen anything deeper than 5'.

User Info Menu

Gator G-PG ACOUSTIC ProGo Series Ultimate Gig Bag for Acoustic Guitar | Guitar Center
    I have one of these, and it does the job for me, for local carry. It's made for a 17" guitar. I wouldn't use it for going through baggage on an airline, but for getting the guitar from place to place in the car or however it works fine. I got mine a few years ago and it was cheaper, but everything seems to be going up now.

User Info Menu

Still like Cronkhite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Still like Cronkhite.
    man they really jacked up the prices once Glenn sold the business, my 2 leather bags were less than 1/2 what they cost now.
    but assuming they're made the same, still the best though anything but light.

User Info Menu