The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    No dissemination of religion, Patloch. Sneaky, sneaky...
    Religion is the virus of the people, isn't it? I also have this one in store, if you prefer, it's in excellent health

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see what you did there...Corona Jazz Band Virus. Yeah...

User Info Menu

I have pencil GAS. At work we have a box full of the cheapest pencils money can buy. They suck sooo hard. The lead is off center in the wood in many of them. You have to go hunting for one that can be sharpened. And I think the 'wood' is some sort of fibrous plastic. And don't get me started on the 'eraser'. It's really a smudger.

Not all pencils are created as equals.

Patloch: Off Topic: Old Typewriters

User Info Menu

indeed interesting thread! I like mechanicals because the point is always sharp. But I tend to erase and rewrite a fair amount, so I use a plastic engineering graphics eraser that I've had for EVER... it's GREAT at removing graphite without damaging the paper. I lost the cardboard wrapper long ago but IIRC it's a Staedtler Mars Plastic eraser. IDK whether the ones made today (vinyl) are comparable in softness to this ancient eraser from decades ago - I haven't had any issues with tearing paper, as the following video indicates, but maybe that's because I'm using music manuscript instead of engineering drafting paper.

joelf Guest
    So no SharpWriter or general mechanical pencil fans here?

I'm disapernted!! (disappointed?)

Excuse me while I go blubber awhile...

User Info Menu

Fortunately for me I do not suffer from eraser GAS, as I have a couple of those decades old white Staedtlers myself. And I'm glad I do considering how crappy the ones on the end of those cheap-ass pencils I mentioned are.

I like that eraser shield thing. Sadly, top notch drafting seems to be another skill being killed off by the computer. I rarely see hand-drawn architecturals in my line of work anymore. I remember a time when that was pretty much all I ever saw.

User Info Menu

On this side of the pond a rubber is something entirely different. I can assure you that cars over here do not ride on prophylactics either :-)

Of course, these days none of the items have much to do with actual rubber anyway. Isn't that something in the card game Bridge?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I've always been partial to the good old Dixon Ticonderoga.
    Me too. Funny that my #1s seem to get traded out for my daughter’s #2s. I guess that should be happy that she hasn’t confiscated any of my shirts (yet.) Maybe we should just be a #1 household.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    ...I rarely see hand-drawn architecturals in my line of work anymore. I remember a time when that was pretty much all I ever saw.
    That’s my line of work. When I do any hand sketching I usually do very light pencil lines first and then go over them with markers and eventually erase the pencil lines. It is just easier to get a variety of line weights that survive scanning that way. If I need to do any type of shading I do it with marker stipulating. All that said, my sketches are rarely for full on presentation purposes. Sometimes but very infrequently these days.

Edit: I could go back and describe days of mechanical pencils, vellum, Mylar, ink, etc. and whole manual drafting era, but it is kind of pointless these days. The only real remnant is my hand lettering. Mine has retained the discipline that I learned far back. A lot of people these days never went that far with that skill.

Edit 2: Stippling, gd spell check.
    Last edited by lammie200; 02-02-2020 at 07:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Sketching ability is really handy. I've lost it for the most part due to decade or 2 of CAD. I really respect people who can do it. I remember a site meeting where the contractor and I were trying to resolve a millwork/carpentry conflict. He and I were going over the 'blueprints' side by side. The architect came by and sketched a perfect isometric showing the solution from the other side of the table. Upside down! We were pretty amazed. A Mozart of the pencil.

User Info Menu

On a related front: "The Sure Hit Songwriter's Pen"

User Info Menu

"real men" use oil...haha

cheers

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    "real men" use oil...haha

cheers
    ...and oil paint contains lead...

joelf Guest
    What would Bob Dylan think of this thread?

'Come writers and poets who prophesise with your pen'...

Or Stevie Wonder?

'....A writer takes his pen...'

User Info Menu

Yeah but how easy is it to tune up.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    On this side of the pond a rubber is something entirely different. I can assure you that cars over here do not ride on prophylactics either :-)

Of course, these days none of the items have much to do with actual rubber anyway. Isn't that something in the card game Bridge?
    Sorry, ccroft, I rubbed out my post for fear of offending someone...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    What would Bob Dylan think of this thread?...
    Don’t know but I believe he is a prolific painter of the canvas type.

User Info Menu

dylan liked the typer...

no doubt he liked the key clacking rhythms

cheers

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Don’t know but I believe he is a prolific painter of the canvas type.
    As is 'Antonio Benedetti'...

User Info Menu

Turns out I was using a sakura sumo grip pencil. It's nice. Enough so that it warrants a whole damn 12 minute review.

As type writers go, I'm more of a giant art Deco royal/Underwood sort of person, but even Olivettis and some ibms look pretty neat. Never used one, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    As type writers go, I'm more of a giant art Deco royal/Underwood sort of person, but even Olivettis and some ibms look pretty neat. Never used one, though.
    There's an old line about Hollywood screenwriters: "schmucks with Underwoods."

There's also a "Writer" cap that's logo is in the old Courier font, once the default for writers. (It was the easiest font for editors to read.) -----These caps are usually black with the logo in white.
    The Blackwing 602 pencil-writer-cap-jpg

User Info Menu

It still is the default font for screenwriting, because the spacing stays the same or whatever. Don't ask me how I know, or what all those notes I took with a pencil were for.

Though they've probably been updated to schmucks with macbooks now

User Info Menu

We also should hear about the pink perfect attendance pencil.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    As an engineer I have, over the years, developed a liking of Rotring mechanical pencils. I have also found them just the thing for transcribing.
    I've also been a Rotring man for many years. Go Rotring!

Wiki says: "602 possessed the unique softness and smoothness of a 3B/4B lead but with the rate-of-wear of an HB."
    Hmmm...any other products with the same spec?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-03-2020 at 08:27 PM.