The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I have 0.11 Tis on the 300 and I did not like what was on the 350 so I strung the 350 with a 0.12 TI set. The result is that the guitars sound even more similar I think. I expect the 350 will sound slighter duller after the strings have been broken in. People asked for some chordal stuff to compare the guitars further so here it is.

Anyway, the 350 is a very expensive guitar (7.5K euro) and I really love it but also wonder if I do not have that sound in the 300 already. I really need to sell a guitar to be able to afford it. Either the 300 or the Tal Farlow should go. Mmmmm ... first world problem. Maybe it's all just a GAS attack.

On the other hand, I don't think I will ever see a blonde 1952 ES 350 again in my country ... Vintage guitars are rare over here. And it was always my dream guitar. Choices, choices ...

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They do sound much more alike to me now. Great playing!
    If it has always been your dream guitar and this is probably the chance of your lifetime to ever own one, then further down the road you may regret to not have grabbed it...

User Info Menu

As a CanadianI can relate to not having access to many vintage guitars, not to mention the cost. Really, I don't think you could make a bad decision between the 300 or 350. I'm just glad that these guitars are in the hands of such a fine player - kind of a shame if these were in some collectors closet.

User Info Menu

I say go with your dream. If you can do it "money neutral" then absolutely, go for what you really always wanted.

User Info Menu

To me, the 300 still sounds a bit brighter than the 350. I believe you can pretty easyly adjust the EQ to make the 300 sound like the 350, while the opposite may not be so easy (?). That should logically indicate that the 300 is the one to keep - provided they feel and play the same. But logic is not necessarily the sole deciding factor. You have wanted a 350 your whole life (so have I, BTW, but I have given it up by now due to advancing age) and that counts too.

Another thing about the difference in sound between the two instruments: Could 1 PU vs. 2 PUs play a role. That's what people write ever so often when they want to explain the difference in sound between an L5CES and a WesMo and with those two models the difference goes in the same direction as here: The 1 PU version has a brighter sound than the 2 PU version.

User Info Menu

The 300 sounds much better on the chords and single lines.
    Deeper and fuller, over all more character. I say don't do it.
    Also the single pickup and one set of control knobs is much classier.
    Save your money and keep playing, you sound great!

User Info Menu

Like you Dick the 3 knob 350 was always my dream. Giving up my Tal Farlow though I don't know. The Tal Farlow model is currently discontinued and the way Gibson is going it may never be back.The viceroy brown TF is a tough act to follow. Great playing as usual. Hard call. LOL

User Info Menu

I don't think it's about sound; they sound even more similar now. Rationally, it's probably not a sensible idea to change from the 300 to the 350. But if it's your dream guitar, rationality doesn't have much to do with it. After all, you're unlikely to lose money on such a rare beast, and we may only live once...

User Info Menu

They do sound really pretty much same although I like the 300 slightly better on this cut. It really is splitting hairs but Dick your chord stuff has the Barney Kessel touch and I have to admit your not sloppy either!

User Info Menu

Sell the Tal and get the 350. They both serve the same purpose (cutaway two PUP laminate electric archtop). The 300 is a slightly different animal and a different "arrow in the quiver". Besides, IMO, one can never have too many blondes in the harem.

If we did not have these kind of first world problems, I suspect life would not be as interesting (or challenging).

Great playing. I suspect that you could make a Godin 5th avenue sound just as good, but you should cross a bucket list guitar off the list. Life is short, and this is what the money is for (I know you are an academic, sorry to end a sentence with a preposition ).

User Info Menu

They sound very close. I still feel that the 350 would be my first choice because of the value and functionality that a cutaway adds. If I were you, I would probably sell the Tal and keep both of these. I just love the vintage vibe of old guitars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

As I said in the previous thread, They are both great sounding guitars, and the string change to the 350 did change its sound, but I myself would still prefer the 350 - it sounds a little darker (which I prefer) to me than the 300.

User Info Menu

I would sell the ES300 and buy the ES350.

The Tal has humbuckers which sounds really good, the ES350 is a similar instrument but has the old P90s for a little more clarity.

The ES300 is nice, but comparing them like you did, I like darker sound of the ES350 MUCH better.

User Info Menu

Just find a way to keep the 300 and the 350.
    Even if it's more $ formulate a plan, this opportunity may never come your way again.
    Whenever this situation has crossed my path and I was a little hesitant on an expensive investment and then took the plunge, I don't ever remember later when enjoying playing it thinking "that was too much money"
    Nope, it's typically "man, what a great guitar!"
    Money comes and goes, but the pleasure it can provide in an instance like this should be seized when the opportunity arises.
    SS and FP hit the nail on the head, if you really have to sell a guitar to get it, I'd move the Tal, they're easier to find than a blonde 300 or a '52 350, and if you find you really want a humbucker equipped guitar down the road it'll be easier to find than a vintage P90 guitar, but ymmv...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Even if it's more $ formulate a plan, this opportunity may never come your way again.
    Whenever this situation has crossed my path and I was a little hesitant on an expensive investment and then took the plunge, I don't ever remember later when enjoying playing it thinking "that was too much money"
    Money comes and goes, but the pleasure it can provide in an instance like this should be seized when the opportunity arises.
    SS and FP hit the nail on the head, if you really have to sell a guitar to get it, I'd move the Tal, they're easier to find than a blonde 300 or a '52 350, and if you find you really want a humbucker equipped guitar down the road it'll be easier to find than a vintage P90 guitar, but ymmv...
    'Guitars will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no guitars....' or something like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    They do sound much more alike to me now. Great playing!
    If it has always been your dream guitar and this is probably the chance of your lifetime to ever own one, then further down the road you may regret to not have grabbed it...
    Yes, that's my concern too Tommo. I have been watching guitars on the internet for 20 years and I cannot recall ever having seen a blonde 3 knob ES 350 come by in my country. Only 67 blondes were made in 1952 so it's really a rare bird all over the world. And the condition is quite good.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Like you Dick the 3 knob 350 was always my dream. Giving up my Tal Farlow though I don't know. The Tal Farlow model is currently discontinued and the way Gibson is going it may never be back.The viceroy brown TF is a tough act to follow. Great playing as usual. Hard call. LOL
    Thanks Vinny. I have had my Tal for 16 years. I'd really hate to sell it.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks Wintermoon. Yes, I'd love to keep them both.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Sell the Tal and get the 350. They both serve the same purpose (cutaway two PUP laminate electric archtop). The 300 is a slightly different animal and a different "arrow in the quiver". Besides, IMO, one can never have too many blondes in the harem.

If we did not have these kind of first world problems, I suspect life would not be as interesting (or challenging).

Great playing. I suspect that you could make a Godin 5th avenue sound just as good, but you should cross a bucket list guitar off the list. Life is short, and this is what the money is for (I know you are an academic, sorry to end a sentence with a preposition ).
    Thanks Swinger. I need all the confirmation I can get!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    They do sound really pretty much same although I like the 300 slightly better on this cut. It really is splitting hairs but Dick your chord stuff has the Barney Kessel touch and I have to admit your not sloppy either!
    Thanks Mark. They are both great guitars indeed. The 300 is by no means inferior to the 350.

DB

User Info Menu

They both sound great. It’s a lot of money but if you can afford it and it inspires you, why not?

I’ ll buy your tal

User Info Menu

If not mistaken its the same 1952 350 from Erwin that was at the time not for sale?
    Obviously as good a compromise your 300 is, it never cured your 350 itch, i would say keep the Tal and get that 350 and sell the 300.
    I doubt the 300 will get much playtime once you have the 350.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    If not mistaken its the same 1952 350 from Erwin that was at the time not for sale?
    Obviously as good a compromise your 300 is, it never cured your 350 itch, i would say keep the Tal and get that 350 and sell the 300.
    I doubt the 300 will get much playtime once you have the 350.
    Great picture. What's the story on it?

Yes, it's from Erwin's personal collection.

I don't think the 350 sounds "better" than the 300. Just slightly different. Slightly crispier and it has some more woodiness to its sound. The 350 is mellower and darker. Both sound great.

The sounds of the 300 and 350 are more similar than the two compared to my Tal Farlow.

DB

User Info Menu

id say sell everything and get a Peerless Monarch...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    id say sell everything and get a Peerless Monarch...
    Why that?

DB