The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi-looking for opinions and advise on getting a new speaker for my Fender Super-Champ X2

I see that Eminence recommends their Swamp Thing 12" speaker and their
    CANNABISREX 12" speakers
    for "Jazz".

If either of these speakers aren't decent, then I was thinking of getting a 12 " alnico speaker such as
    Jensen Vintage P12Q8 12-Inch Alnico Speaker, 8 ohm.

All ideas and opinions welcome.

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

what do you want different?

more bass..more highs..less breakup...more volume..etc???

less weight?

lots to consider!

cheers

User Info Menu

I gave my X2 to my nephew for Christmas last month, but a few years back I put a Weber alnico hemp speaker in it. I really liked the smoothness that I was getting. It was the 30 watt version of this one. They make a 12" version as well and I am using that in my VHT amp now. My specs are H cap and moderate dope FWIW.

10A125H

User Info Menu

First off, the SCX2 combo uses a 10" speaker. Second, it's a modeling amp, so it's stock speaker is closer to being a hifi speaker than a guitar speaker, because it's trying to replicate the sound of 15 different amps.

Lastly, many folks use the amp only on channel 1, like a straight 15w blackface fender, and then it seems practical to get a speaker that gets that one great sound you're looking for. Seems that an Eminence 10" Ragin Cajun is the all time fave for the SCX2.

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that I have the head version and I want to get a good quality replacement for the 12" speaker in a separate cab. As far as I'm concerned, the speaker is a no name as the label peeled of years ago.

Don't really use the Channel Two as I use Channel One only.

So what I want is a good quality speaker for this amp for playing jazz ala Jim Hall/Kenny Burrell, etc.

Hope that helps.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 02-01-2020 at 03:56 AM.

User Info Menu

FWIW both channels model. Channel 1 only has 1 model whereas Channel 2 has 15. Channel 1 supposedly has a 15 watt black face model.

User Info Menu

I would also be interested in hearing opinions about that. I had the combo for a while, loved the way it sounded (also only using the first channel), but I thought it would benefit from a bit more bass.

User Info Menu

I have an Eminence Lil Buddy installed Avatar cab that I play with my X2 head, sounds fantastic (and loud 98.8 dB SPL) !

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Lil_Buddy.pdf

User Info Menu

I put a 12” Emi Red, White and Blues in my SCXD with great results. Really well balanced for the voicing of that amp. It was the combo version but I had a custom cabinet with 12” baffle built for it. Great little amp. Again, SCXD. I’m not familiar with the newer X2 model but have to think they’re very similar.

Roli

User Info Menu

I did the Rajun Cajun in my SCXD and it sounded great -- louder, cleaner, no farting out -- but also heavier.
    It's a winner for sure. I'm also sure the Celestion Gold would be a great sounding choice too.
    I did a gold in a PRRI & it was amazing.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you gave me a lot to think about.

Now if only it was easier to test drive the speakers!

Doug

User Info Menu

I put the C.Rex into a Peavey Classic 30. Turned the amp into a keeper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    I put the C.Rex into a Peavey Classic 30. Turned the amp into a keeper.
    I'm leaning toward the C.Rex from what I've heard. What guitar are you using with it?

Thanks

Doug

User Info Menu

A 175 or a Strat. It’s been a few years since I made the speaker swap but I remember being very pleased with a less spikey tone immediately and realizing after a few months that the Rex broke in gradually and did nothing but improve.

User Info Menu

A 175 or a Strat. It’s been a few years since I made the speaker swap but I remember being very pleased with a less spikey tone immediately and realizing after a few months that the Rex broke in gradually and did nothing but improve.
    Right now I'm using my custom Strat type guitar made by Tonebomb of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Walnut body, Creamery Charlie Christian Pickups and 13-53 gauge Thomastik Infeld flats.

I'm looking for a hollow body that I really like, but I'm saving my money and taking my time. Maybe get a Benedetto or other custom made archtop.

Doug

User Info Menu

I had a Celestion Gold in mine and loved it. The Gold recently went into a new PRRI and I bought a Legend 1058 for the X2. So far not loving it but waiting for it to break in?

User Info Menu

My speaker of choice for a Fender 1x12" combo amp would be either a Celestion G12-65 or closely followed by the Cannabis Rex.

Another good tonal choice but completely overkill for such a small amp is the EVML.

HTH,

User Info Menu

+100 for the emminence Lit'l Buddy, if you're looking for a darker, smoother sound with more headroom.

User Info Menu

I had once a Champ XD. Great little amp!

If You play only that ”Blackface” modeling, Your aim is same as with general Blackface amp replacement speaker.

Here is some basic lines:
    How to select speakers | fenderguru.com

User Info Menu

Bought a Cannabis Rex 12"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

Let us know how it sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

Great!

Now, a word of caution: this speaker is a bear to "break-in".

In my case, it took a full, uninterrupted 24-hr cycle of white noise just below its rating power to do it. No animal was physically harmed because of that, but boy, they were NOT HAPPY AT ALL, even where the procedure happened in an acoustically-treated corner of a concrete basement!

YMMV.

User Info Menu

Breaking in? Sounds fine to me. But then I'm not cranking the amp at performance levels, just playing at home.

The speaker already gives warm, clean sound.

User Info Menu

Mine broke in so gradually that I didn’t notice until some months later that it did sound better. Didn’t do the white noise procedure.

User Info Menu

Mine broke in so gradually that I didn’t notice until some months later that it did sound better. Didn’t do the white noise procedure.
    No worries, Ted. IMHO, you break in a speaker by playing guitar-unless you're going to use it as a white noise dispenser!