Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Not in the market (sad faced emoji) or associated with the seller, but this jumped out at me as a really good deal on a Triggs archtop.

Maybe it has the D'Aquisto moderne f-holes holding it back, but i think they look cool and, again, this seems like a really good deal on a guitar that seems to be in good condition from what I thought was a respected luthier team.

2009 J TRIGGS CUSTOM BUILT ARCHTOP JAZZ GUITAR with FLOATING PICKUP! LOT #Z28 | eBay

am I missing something?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hard to say, but the f-holes do look cool. The listing indicates that the top and back are maple. Is a maple top less desirable compared to spruce? I don’t know. And there’s no mention of whether the top and back are carved or laminated (I don’t know if Jim Triggs makes laminated archtop guitars). And, I don’t see any flame in the top or back, but it could be the angle of the light.

Jim Triggs and his son, Ryan, are very accomplished and highly respected. The seller has a 30 day return period if you pay the original listed price, but I would confirm that it applies to the reduced price. I think he just forgot to update the return policy section in the listing when he reduced the price. If it is returnable without any hassle, it seems like a really good deal for a Triggs archtop guitar, since you would have ample time to evaluate it in terms of tone, aesthetics and condition. It appears that the sellers main focus is on drums, so maybe he just wants to move the guitar out of the shop.

Just my random thoughts . . .

User Info Menu

And no disparagement intended if the Triggs guitar is laminated. Bryant Trenier makes a gorgeous example of a 1989 D’Aquisto Jazz Special with laminate plates made in his shop.

User Info Menu

The second photo is of a rather alluring redhead beauty, and I'm not talking guitars. Makes me doubt the listing is trustworthy. Either that or I'm dreaming...not had my porridge yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    The second photo is of a rather alluring redhead beauty, and I'm not talking guitars. Makes me doubt the listing is trustworthy. Either that or I'm dreaming...not had my porridge yet.
    Porridge or not, I see the girl too. If she comes with the guitar, there's no need to hesitate. You can just sell off the guitar afterwards. This seems like a really good price, but maybe I'm missing something

User Info Menu

Looks legit. e-bay seller since 2008. Extensive Facebook pages....

User Info Menu

It’s definitely a maple top, but I can’t tell if it’s carved. It’s a beauty! I have always wanted to play a Triggs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    That's the seller, obviously. Suspicion & doubt are ugly traits, mister

User Info Menu

It’s definitely a maple top, but I can’t tell if it’s carved. It’s a beauty! I have always wanted to play a Triggs.

User Info Menu

Archtops are generally a hard sell these days,even Gibson. Unless it's a sure bet at a great deal it's a hard sell.
    I own a great archtop by Elferink , and unfortunately it would be priced like this as well.

User Info Menu

It's about 150 miles from me... that git makes a tempting road trip for me.

I'm "thinking" the lower bout is on the large side, but the listing gave no details, so I wrote the owner asking:

What a beauty. A few questions if I may?

Is the top carved or pressed?
    What size is the lower bout... 16", 17" or 18"
    Do you know what pickup is in it?
    Can it be picked up in person?

I live near Lauderdale and would make a day trip ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    There are a number of "Cort Triggs designed" gits about :-)

User Info Menu

It probably is a laminate. Few customers who are paying for a labor intensive carved archtop would specify such plain woods. I have never understood the concept of using a floater on a laminate, but I have heard that combination sound damn good, so what do i know? In any case, this Triggs is priced at the same price point as a run of the mill sunburst 175. That said, I would buy the 175 myself, but again, what do I know?

User Info Menu

Why the girl pic and Ebay logo? Something fishy here.

User Info Menu

Don't know if this is the same guy or not, but read. Vintage drum dealer known for dissecting and parting out valuable vintage drums:

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

Rogers Owners Forum :: Drum Strippers :: Boycott these! | Runboard

Lee county music - Vintage Drum Forum

User Info Menu

The seller wrote me back:

"Thank you for your Triggs inquiry today. Solid top and 17", like an L-5."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Don't know if this is the same guy or not, but read. Vintage drum dealer known for dissecting and parting out valuable vintage drums:

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

Rogers Owners Forum :: Drum Strippers :: Boycott these! | Runboard

Lee county music - Vintage Drum Forum
    Seems to be the same guy. Proceed with caution! Sad to hear that this guy is parting out intact and desirable vintage drums in good working order. Reminds me of antiquities dealers that cut pages out of valuable books and manuscripts in order to make more money than the book or manuscript would sell for intact.

User Info Menu

The back is absolutely laminated, don't know how we can really tell about the top, other than why would Triggs use a solid maple top? If someone can somehow magnify one of the angled shots of a sound hole we might be able to see the grain or layers in the hole cut. But I certainly don't know how to do that and maintain any clarity.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-29-2020 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I found this on a drum forum. If anyone finds it unethical or in bad taste, I will delete it. (Warning: long.)

"i - I know this thread is somewhat old but I happened to stumble on this thread and I wanted to answer questions that have been asked in this thread. First off, I used to "work" for LCM - and yes, it is Jonas Aronson. Out of my privacy and protection, many details regarding me in specific will be left out. His wife is named Gaile (to avoid censor since her name is spellt with a y) and he purposely uses his wife's name in all postal and electronic communications because he doesn't want people knowing it's him and he claims people are "nicer " if they think they're speaking with a woman. He also goes by the name Cooper. He often uses many monikers and aliases.

Two - Yes he lives in a fancy community in Florida in his wife's late ex husband's house. (The FL address someone posted in this thread at Las Brisas was correct.) He lives nowhere else. His house is literally consumed by his business - he had no space in his garage whatsoever nor in his own house to live in because it was absolutely stuffed to the brim with instruments and parts out the wazoo. I'm not joking when I say his business was severely hurting his marriage. He has several storage units rented out in which he keeps the rest of the instruments he can't store at their house. So his products were never protected from humidity and they were constantly lopsidedly stacked and not properly packed. It was all thrown together in a pathetic heap in each unit. His garage was worse.

Yes he absolutely bought people's instruments and parts off ebay for very low and would upsell everything by at least 300 % on his listings. He stripped many drums and other instruments to sell off in packages - We used powerdrills and it wasn't uncommon for wood to become brittle and crack from being loosened when screws were being taken out. He strives to be a monopoly on eBay as much as possible and will buy people out in order to resell. He has consistently overcharged for shipping and can be very nasty in PM communications.

As far as I know, LeeCountyMusic, TheOldDrumShop, TheDrumPartsCounter and p00der2 are the main accounts he has on eBay. All three are the same person but he attempts to look like 3 different sellers to avoid fees from eBay / Auctiva and boost business from people avoiding one account of his only to buy from his other ones unknowingly. He also keeps his business hidden from the govt regulations using his storage units so he doesn't have to get a proper storefront and pay extra. Each ebay / auctiva account follows the same format regarding pictures and listing descriptions. He also sells guitars, amps, cymbals, etc, so beware.

Working with him was horrific - He is an extremely volatile man and there were many days where his temper would boil over - He would either start yelling, slam doors, or belittle me / talk down to me or attempt to get into subjects that were frankly none of his business. His behaviour was a big factor in me ditching his operation. I felt really terrible for his wife because she is actually extremely nice, kind and friendly, unlike her husband. He also wanted things carried outside in dead heat outside in specific ways where I would be utterly exhausted after heaving huge equipment around - if things weren't exactly as he wanted, he would get really livid and I would have to do everything over again. The amount of disrespect was terrible.

I also ditched because his operation is completely under the table - he avoids taxes in any fashion he can do so including paying me under the table despite making 100k through just one eBay account in less than 6 months. I really wasn't comfortable with this sort of deception because I prefer honest work and paying in like I'm supposed to. Seeing someone intake so much money and not pay in proper really wrecked me in the ethics department personally.

Out of personal experience and seeing some of the deceptions he's pulled on people especially international customers, I highly suggest avoiding all of his businesses and suggest shopping with someone else. He's not really honest, he's volatile and is manipulative. Someone else deserves your business. If you question his listings, he will block you outright.

Thankfully I don't "work" for him anymore and I've since moved to a job where it's honest, well paid and my boss respects me. So do yourselves a favour and don't give him your money.

Ps - He drives a newer white Toyota SUV and his wife drives a newer Mustang. Not a Hummer, but close. ( and fyi - He also watches all the instrument forums to note any bad reviews about him and will make dummy accounts to better his rep when it's lacking in certain circles.) And YES, he bid shills on his own listings to make sure the end buyer pays more and doesn't get an item for really cheap!"

User Info Menu

BTW he has ~1600 items up, mostly vintage drum parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The back is absolutely laminated, don't know how we can really tell about the top, other than why would Triggs use a solid maple top? If someone can somehow magnify one of the angled shots of a sound hole we might be able to see the grain or layers in the hole cut. But I certain don't know how to do that and maintain any clarity.
    Yeah, in a second message from the owner "Gayle" says it's carved. I never thought anyone would do that.

Funny, just yesterday I "carved / hogged" out a 1"x5"x1/2" deep fixture in a slab of maple with my Dremel tool and it took a nearly two hours and I cursed every minute :-)

User Info Menu

I love redheads as much as the next guy--maybe more! Something tells me a girl like that would be the death or financial ruin of someone my age.

Though it might be worth it in the end. Would make for a great obituary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Yeah, in a second message from the owner "Gayle" says it's carved. I never thought anyone would do that.

Funny, just yesterday I "carved / hogged" out a 1"x5"x1/2" deep fixture in a slab of maple with my Dremel tool and it took a nearly two hours and I cursed every minute :-)
    Well it can be done, I mean, they carve maple backs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Why the girl pic and Ebay logo? Something fishy here.
    Yeah, his listings all feature a sexy young lady in the second pic, and then some other irrelevant ones. For example, a pic of the earth, and one of a mail truck going through a city intersection. Very odd.

User Info Menu

So you mean this cute little red riding hood is a fake ?
    If I have not already been covered with blue eyed red headed lady, I'd have taken the plunge ! But allas, impossible to justify to Mrs 339

User Info Menu

Contact Jim Triggs and get the specs from him directly!