Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi,

    I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while...

    Regardless of style, what is your desert island guitar and amp combination? You can only choose one of each.

    Here's mine:

    1) 1959 Gibson ES-175
    2) Fender Twin Reverb

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    So this desert isle has electricity?

    John

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So this desert isle has electricity?
    Of course, don't they all?

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Tele, Roland Microcube, and big ass stash of AA batteries.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by K-Tar
    Regardless of style, what is your desert island guitar and amp combination?
    It's a trick question, there is no electricity on a desert island, so my harmonica is enough for me!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    My L5ces and Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. Don't think I could buy tubes on a desert island...

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Guitar should also have acoustic pickups since eventually it'll have to work with gut strings.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    So if the island had electricity:

    My tele and a princeton reverb.

    If not

    A really nice Gypsy Jazz guitar. Oooh, or maybe a jazz nylon string. Yeah, give me a Buscarino Cabaret.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    So we're on a desert island, and are hoping to get back to civilization, what amp and guitar would make the best boat and paddle? I think your best bet is to take the baffle off an SVT and "all aboard!". The head can be an anchor or ballast (if you can pick it up off the beach). Best paddle is probably an SG. For strings, use .08's -- they make good fishing line. Don't forget the volleyball ("Wilson!").

    John

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I'll take Ginger or Maryanne. With either of them available, it would take awhile before I had any interest in a guitar and amp.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I'll take Ginger or Maryanne. With either of them available, it would take awhile before I had any interest in a guitar and amp.
    In that debate most prefer Maryanne, the short girl next door. Very nice but given the choice I'll take the tall redhead Miss Grant

    p.s. SS is right, who cares about guitars?

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    steinberger and a dual showman


    i'd remove the back of the big showman cab and use it as a canoe...steinberger be my paddle!!

    cheers

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    steinberger and a dual showman


    i'd remove the back of the big showman cab and use it as a canoe...steinberger be my paddle!!

    cheers
    I think an SVT cab is probably better sealed, but I agree with Steinberger as the ideal paddle.

    John

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So we're on a desert island, and are hoping to get back to civilization, what amp and guitar would make the best boat and paddle?
    If I'm on a desert island with electricity, I don't think I'd ever want to leave.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Late 1950’s 17” D’Angelico New Yorker Special (like Johnny Smith’s) with a gold De'Armond 1100. If there is electricity, I’ll take an Acoustic Image Clarus and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 (I already have the amp and the pickup, but I still need to find that guitar).
    Keith

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    If a guitarist plays something great on an island and there is no one to hear it,does it matter? LOL!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Late 1950’s 17” D’Angelico New Yorker Special (like Johnny Smith’s) with a gold De'Armond 1100. If there is electricity, I’ll take an Acoustic Image Clarus and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 (I already have the amp and the pickup, but I still need to find that guitar).
    Keith
    I have a late 40's D,Angelico Style B (That is pretty much an Excel/New Yorker Special with slightly downgraded cosmetics and no cutaway) with a chrome DeArmond 1100, along with a Clarus and a (Rich made) Stealth 10ER. That setup could easily be my only guitar and amp. Assuming electricity (though the guitar is just fine acoustically) and about 30 packs of TI strings (and perhaps a few extra Dunlop Delrin picks), I think I would be good for the rest of my days.

    Add Ginger or Maryanne and I might not even need to be rescued .

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    If the island has electricity, my Tele and Quilter 101R/Ear Candy Mr. Watts. If not, my Martin 000-18 or Brook Torridge. I could get by with the acoustic alone, though.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-guitar_boat_1-jpg

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Cleared out most of my guitars, down to a few. Sold many of the amps, including the Axe FX 3 and Axe FX2. Play just a few instruments now. As for electric guitar and amp, I mainly play this, which I would bring on the Island.

    Victor Baker 14" semi hollow with Lollar CC pickup in the HB route (the pickup change made this guitar 'beyond category'. Unbelievable how much better it sounded.

    Amp: Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

    This is what I play out with now. I can strap the guitar in a gig bag and carry the amp. No problemo.

    I suspect this will change, however. I have a special Victor Baker guitar be made, something he's never made before and will take time. The same basic 14" VB semi-hollow, but with ONE pickup only. No cutaway. It will be set up to play like a Brahms guitar--with endpin, fanned frets, 8 strings (6 main strings plus low A and high A, like a Brahms guitar: basically what we know as a 7 string with the low bass string, but with the added 8th string that Lenny Breau had in his 7th string-a P4 above the high E. I told him, "I want it to be a one pickup JAZZ guitar, with no concessions whatsoever to rock-funk-blues". He said, "I know exactly what to do". Obviously, one issue will be to find a special pickup-who makes 8 string jazz pickups? A classical Brahms guitar obviously does not have a pickup.

    It's gonna take some time. But that will be my #1 guitar, then.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have a late 40's D,Angelico Style B (That is pretty much an Excel/New Yorker Special with slightly downgraded cosmetics and no cutaway) with a chrome DeArmond 1100, along with a Clarus and a (Rich made) Stealth 10ER. That setup could easily be my only guitar and amp. Assuming electricity (though the guitar is just fine acoustically) and about 30 packs of TI strings (and perhaps a few extra Dunlop Delrin picks), I think I would be good for the rest of my days.

    Add Ginger or Maryanne and I might not even need to be rescued .
    I used to own a 1939 Style B. I sold it a few years ago, but I would be perfectly happy with another non-cut D’A if the right one follows me home. I would be perfectly happy with either Ginger or Maryanne too.
    Keith

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Then you'll end up having more archtops in that desert island than in Finland apparently.
    Finland offended! I have currently four and the other guy has all my old ones...

    A 175 and Twin Reverb, as it wouldn't have to be lugged around. But seriously, the air channels of my TOOB cabinet kept me afloat, together with the Tric case of my Godin 5th Avenue.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So we're on a desert island, and are hoping to get back to civilization, what amp and guitar would make the best boat and paddle? I think your best bet is to take the baffle off an SVT and "all aboard!". The head can be an anchor or ballast (if you can pick it up off the beach). Best paddle is probably an SG. For strings, use .08's -- they make good fishing line. Don't forget the volleyball ("Wilson!").

    John
    The only occasion a guitarist envies a double bassist, who has a small navy to haul.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    If I was forced to play only one guitar and amp combination for the rest of my life ...

    Yamaha Pacifica 012 with Lil 59 and replacement tuners. This is the guitar that's easiest on my aging hands. If not for that, I'd pick the Comins GCS-1.

    For the amp, the Little Jazz, assuming I didn't need to play any louder than that. And, my Boss ME80. Otherwise, a Fender HRD.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Finland offended! I have currently four and the other guy has all my old ones...

    A 175 and Twin Reverb, as it wouldn't have to be lugged around. But seriously, the air channels of my TOOB cabinet kept me afloat, together with the Tric case of my Godin 5th Avenue.
    No offense intended. Just alluding to a recent thread about difficulties in finding archtops in Finland these days.

    PS. This message is sent from a Linux PC, thanks to Finland.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think an SVT cab is probably better sealed, but I agree with Steinberger as the ideal paddle.
    hah, yeah 8X10 bass cab would be a nice ride!! but im fender loyal!! haha

    cheers

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Maybe there's some solar panels?

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The only occasion a guitarist envies a double bassist, who has a small navy to haul.

    Patlotch's drawings, 80s, improvised on a restaurant napkin

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    My trusty old ES-135 and either of my amps--Fishman Artist or Fender SCXD could make do in just about any situation.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Cleared out most of my guitars, down to a few. Sold many of the amps, including the Axe FX 3 and Axe FX2. Play just a few instruments now. As for electric guitar and amp, I mainly play this, which I would bring on the Island.

    Victor Baker 14" semi hollow with Lollar CC pickup in the HB route (the pickup change made this guitar 'beyond category'. Unbelievable how much better it sounded.

    Amp: Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

    This is what I play out with now. I can strap the guitar in a gig bag and carry the amp. No problemo.
    You know I've not thought about the Tonemaster. Sounds like all the advantages of the Deluxe without the disadvantages (weight and tube maintenance). You must like yours I guess?

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    My 100w '73 Plexi half-stack. I could use it to send distress signals to the horizon, knock coconuts out of trees for food, and host beach blanket bingo-au-go-go parties for the natives.

    Oooooorrrrrr...........

    My '04 Gibson ES-175 and my Traynor YCV40WR for, y'know, playing jazz & stuff. Two channels, two 6L6s, a bunch of 12a-s, long tank spring reverb, master volume, switches, knobs, & gobs of tone. One 12'' Celestion, and the matching 1- 12" Celestion cabinet. Looks real sharp, sounds even better. Can equal or better any tone from any of my other amps - no small feat, I assure you.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    What a dilemma! I think I’d have to agree with K-Tar on the ‘59 ES-175. I’d have my ‘66 Super Reverb too. Just a little sumpin’ sumpin’ going on there that can’t be duplicated. This rig has everything going for it—it’s good looking enough to attract the attention of the wahinis, it would be heard for many miles across land and sea, and I could get it to howl all by itself to keep the distress call going 24/7 until the Coast Guard or Mary Ann came to my rescue.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    A hard decision, but it might be my Camps Primera. Then, I wouldn’t need an amp.

    Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-1bea6cb2-2a51-46ed-a13e-92caebfdd432-jpgYour Desert Island Guitar and Amp-3e078504-69b7-40b8-ae5f-155e3045db6c-jpgYour Desert Island Guitar and Amp-d66d6c03-fab7-48ce-9315-b9eab3d18f7b-jpg

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    I'm sure the promoter was lying. Again. Ain't gonna be no electricity at my desert island gig.

    I'm bringing my Martin 00-21GE, a box of strings, and a tuning fork.

    If it was a dessert island, I'd just bring a fork.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A really nice Gypsy Jazz guitar. Oooh, or maybe a jazz nylon string. Yeah, give me a Buscarino Cabaret.
    Oh man, you are really picky!
    Now we just have to guess which island you are on. Uh, which one could suit you? Oh yeah, Mo'orea, they actually have electricity!

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    I'd go with my flute & maybe a pair of bongos.

    If Ginger & Maryanne were around, they'd probably just run off to the other side of the island.

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-5bccc905f89f91fde748f4f23f9729ad-jpg

    Danny W.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu


  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    If a guitarist plays something great on an island and there is no one to hear it,does it matter? LOL!
    I actually play for myself just as much as for others.

    For me, music means, a chance to relax my mind and body, and feel good

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    But yeah, a guitar, it would be my tele and my mesa half stack

    Or maybe my Steinberger GL2T.

    As someone said, it works great for paddeling, lol

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-banjo-joke-jpg

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Heresy Danny W ! No Gibsons?

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Heresy Danny W ! No Gibsons?
    Fender has the more on-topic ad.

    Danny W.

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    I actually know Ovations make the best paddle because I rescued a 1970 Country Artist that had been in a flood for a few weeks during Katrina. I take that guitar sailing in case of trouble.

    For aquatic amps I use a Crate Limo, fine if the island has solar power. If there is real juice I want my 1-15 Twin as a coconut killer.