The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while...

Regardless of style, what is your desert island guitar and amp combination? You can only choose one of each.

Here's mine:

1) 1959 Gibson ES-175
    2) Fender Twin Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So this desert isle has electricity?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So this desert isle has electricity?
    Of course, don't they all?

User Info Menu

Tele, Roland Microcube, and big ass stash of AA batteries.

User Info Menu

My L5ces and Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. Don't think I could buy tubes on a desert island...

User Info Menu

So if the island had electricity:

My tele and a princeton reverb.

If not

A really nice Gypsy Jazz guitar. Oooh, or maybe a jazz nylon string. Yeah, give me a Buscarino Cabaret.

User Info Menu

Late 1950’s 17” D’Angelico New Yorker Special (like Johnny Smith’s) with a gold De'Armond 1100. If there is electricity, I’ll take an Acoustic Image Clarus and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 (I already have the amp and the pickup, but I still need to find that guitar).
    Keith

User Info Menu

If a guitarist plays something great on an island and there is no one to hear it,does it matter? LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Late 1950’s 17” D’Angelico New Yorker Special (like Johnny Smith’s) with a gold De'Armond 1100. If there is electricity, I’ll take an Acoustic Image Clarus and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 (I already have the amp and the pickup, but I still need to find that guitar).
    Keith
    I have a late 40's D,Angelico Style B (That is pretty much an Excel/New Yorker Special with slightly downgraded cosmetics and no cutaway) with a chrome DeArmond 1100, along with a Clarus and a (Rich made) Stealth 10ER. That setup could easily be my only guitar and amp. Assuming electricity (though the guitar is just fine acoustically) and about 30 packs of TI strings (and perhaps a few extra Dunlop Delrin picks), I think I would be good for the rest of my days.

Add Ginger or Maryanne and I might not even need to be rescued .

User Info Menu

If the island has electricity, my Tele and Quilter 101R/Ear Candy Mr. Watts. If not, my Martin 000-18 or Brook Torridge. I could get by with the acoustic alone, though.

User Info Menu

Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-guitar_boat_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Cleared out most of my guitars, down to a few. Sold many of the amps, including the Axe FX 3 and Axe FX2. Play just a few instruments now. As for electric guitar and amp, I mainly play this, which I would bring on the Island.

Victor Baker 14" semi hollow with Lollar CC pickup in the HB route (the pickup change made this guitar 'beyond category'. Unbelievable how much better it sounded.

Amp: Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

This is what I play out with now. I can strap the guitar in a gig bag and carry the amp. No problemo.

I suspect this will change, however. I have a special Victor Baker guitar be made, something he's never made before and will take time. The same basic 14" VB semi-hollow, but with ONE pickup only. No cutaway. It will be set up to play like a Brahms guitar--with endpin, fanned frets, 8 strings (6 main strings plus low A and high A, like a Brahms guitar: basically what we know as a 7 string with the low bass string, but with the added 8th string that Lenny Breau had in his 7th string-a P4 above the high E. I told him, "I want it to be a one pickup JAZZ guitar, with no concessions whatsoever to rock-funk-blues". He said, "I know exactly what to do". Obviously, one issue will be to find a special pickup-who makes 8 string jazz pickups? A classical Brahms guitar obviously does not have a pickup.

It's gonna take some time. But that will be my #1 guitar, then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have a late 40's D,Angelico Style B (That is pretty much an Excel/New Yorker Special with slightly downgraded cosmetics and no cutaway) with a chrome DeArmond 1100, along with a Clarus and a (Rich made) Stealth 10ER. That setup could easily be my only guitar and amp. Assuming electricity (though the guitar is just fine acoustically) and about 30 packs of TI strings (and perhaps a few extra Dunlop Delrin picks), I think I would be good for the rest of my days.

Add Ginger or Maryanne and I might not even need to be rescued .
    I used to own a 1939 Style B. I sold it a few years ago, but I would be perfectly happy with another non-cut D’A if the right one follows me home. I would be perfectly happy with either Ginger or Maryanne too.
    Keith

User Info Menu

A 175 and Twin Reverb, as it wouldn't have to be lugged around. But seriously, the air channels of my TOOB cabinet kept me afloat, together with the Tric case of my Godin 5th Avenue.

User Info Menu

If I was forced to play only one guitar and amp combination for the rest of my life ...

Yamaha Pacifica 012 with Lil 59 and replacement tuners. This is the guitar that's easiest on my aging hands. If not for that, I'd pick the Comins GCS-1.

For the amp, the Little Jazz, assuming I didn't need to play any louder than that. And, my Boss ME80. Otherwise, a Fender HRD.

User Info Menu

My trusty old ES-135 and either of my amps--Fishman Artist or Fender SCXD could make do in just about any situation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Cleared out most of my guitars, down to a few. Sold many of the amps, including the Axe FX 3 and Axe FX2. Play just a few instruments now. As for electric guitar and amp, I mainly play this, which I would bring on the Island.

Victor Baker 14" semi hollow with Lollar CC pickup in the HB route (the pickup change made this guitar 'beyond category'. Unbelievable how much better it sounded.

Amp: Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

This is what I play out with now. I can strap the guitar in a gig bag and carry the amp. No problemo.
    You know I've not thought about the Tonemaster. Sounds like all the advantages of the Deluxe without the disadvantages (weight and tube maintenance). You must like yours I guess?

User Info Menu

My 100w '73 Plexi half-stack. I could use it to send distress signals to the horizon, knock coconuts out of trees for food, and host beach blanket bingo-au-go-go parties for the natives.

Oooooorrrrrr...........

My '04 Gibson ES-175 and my Traynor YCV40WR for, y'know, playing jazz & stuff. Two channels, two 6L6s, a bunch of 12a-s, long tank spring reverb, master volume, switches, knobs, & gobs of tone. One 12'' Celestion, and the matching 1- 12" Celestion cabinet. Looks real sharp, sounds even better. Can equal or better any tone from any of my other amps - no small feat, I assure you.

User Info Menu

What a dilemma! I think I’d have to agree with K-Tar on the ‘59 ES-175. I’d have my ‘66 Super Reverb too. Just a little sumpin’ sumpin’ going on there that can’t be duplicated. This rig has everything going for it—it’s good looking enough to attract the attention of the wahinis, it would be heard for many miles across land and sea, and I could get it to howl all by itself to keep the distress call going 24/7 until the Coast Guard or Mary Ann came to my rescue.

User Info Menu

A hard decision, but it might be my Camps Primera. Then, I wouldn’t need an amp.

Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-1bea6cb2-2a51-46ed-a13e-92caebfdd432-jpgYour Desert Island Guitar and Amp-3e078504-69b7-40b8-ae5f-155e3045db6c-jpgYour Desert Island Guitar and Amp-d66d6c03-fab7-48ce-9315-b9eab3d18f7b-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm bringing my Martin 00-21GE, a box of strings, and a tuning fork.

User Info Menu

Your Desert Island Guitar and Amp-5bccc905f89f91fde748f4f23f9729ad-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    If a guitarist plays something great on an island and there is no one to hear it,does it matter? LOL!
    I actually play for myself just as much as for others.

For me, music means, a chance to relax my mind and body, and feel good

User Info Menu

But yeah, a guitar, it would be my tele and my mesa half stack

Or maybe my Steinberger GL2T.

As someone said, it works great for paddeling, lol