The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have this Mesrobian archtop, kind of an L5 clone, great guitar. Been coming back to it after not really playing it for a few years. One problem it has is it doesn't have anything to ground the strings (I did check with a multimeter). Most other builders use a metal bar and a wire to ground the strings (my Elferink for example). The problem isn't extreme since it has a gibson paf humbucker installed, but it 's still apparent in many places i play.

From what i can tell it uses a plain ebony tailpiece without anything specific to ground the strings. Any ideas on the easiest way to install grounding?

How to add string grounding on an archtop ebony tailpiece?-img_20200128_120509-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images How to add string grounding on an archtop ebony tailpiece?-img_20200128_120435-jpg How to add string grounding on an archtop ebony tailpiece?-img_20200128_120443-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does it have an end pin jack ? Is the wire that holds the tailpiece to the end pin jack metal ? Then you could just use copper foil on the underside of the tailpiece to make an electrical bridge between the ball ends of the strings and the jack

Yes it does have an endpin jack and the end of the tailpiece is metal, so this sounds doable! Just glue the copper foil underneath and fold it so it makes contact with every string i guess?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    ....Just glue the copper foil underneath ....
    You can get copper foil with adhesive back (used for shielding control cavities) and cut it to shape.
    Example...Conductive Copper Tape | stewmac.com
    or in sheets.

Your local luthier/guitar tech likely has some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Is the wire that holds the tailpiece to the end pin jack metal ?
    I think most of those modern Sacconi type of adjusters are some sort of synthetic. But I have seen a titanium version.

User Info Menu

Copper tape in various widths is easily available, from ~1/8" up to ~1 inch. Run a thin width along the string holes so it will contact the strings, another the length of the tailpiece. The adhesive is conductive, so you can just put the ground wire underneath the tape. Or you can use duct tape. Not gaffer's tape, but aluminum tape used to seal ducts. You can find it at any home improvement or hardware store. Aluminum conducts almost as well as copper, certainly well enough for grounding. The adhesive probably isn't conductive, but that's solved easily enough.

User Info Menu

see link for copper foil version

string ground with ebony tail piece - MIMF

User Info Menu

That's a lot more foil than is necessary, but it will get the job done. I didn't realize the MIMF was still online. I haven't visited it in many years. I sort of got away from it when work left me without an internet connection for long periods, and then the build bug got cured.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The wire across the strings is probably a more reliable method in the long term, because it's more durable. The run back along the tailpiece can be either wire or tape, whichever is more convenient, because there isn't much wear there. There are many possible workable solutions. Another is shielding paint, sold by StewMac et al, which is conductive and works as well as tape, although it's messier.

What is the black piece your using under the strap.

User Info Menu

If by 'strap' you mean the tailpiece adjusters holding the tailpiece in place, the small black piece protects the rim from the adjusters, which would cut into the edge without it.

User Info Menu

How about shielding paint ?

Conductive Shielding Paint - StewMac