The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Swapping magnets is fairly easy as well. If you end up not liking it try a couple of different magnets Alnico 2, 3,4 even !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Swapping magnets is fairly easy as well. If you end up not liking it try a couple of different magnets Alnico 2, 3,4 even !
    I had a '59 with an Alnico 2 in my ES175 for almost an year and I liked it a lot. Soft touch as any pickup with Alnico 2 but no annoying muddyness like with the Classic 57s. Good clarity without harshness.

But now I have the Antiquity hb in it which is even richer and well balanced.

User Info Menu

My personal favorite is a Manluis Landmark PAF regular wound in the neck position Alnico 2 magnet. Mick McGuinness winds some of the best pickups you will ever find new,boutique or vintage! And way affordable with great service to boot!

User Info Menu

with a traditional paf type humbucker build, that uses bar magnets beneath the bobbin, the differences between tones of different alnico magnet types can just about be duplicated with judicious pickup height adjustments and the correct string materials...

for ex-

an alnico v humbucker with pure nickel strings and the pup slightly lowered, can be less aggressive than an alnico II pup with ss strings closer to the pickup...

there's many parameters..experimentation is key!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I don't think 59s were ever standard on a Heritage.
    They used to use OEM Schallers for a long time then went their custom version of those called HRW.

Now they have standardized on Seth Lovers.
    The Lovers are not potted so I personaly would not want them but it is a matter of preference.

I think the 59s are potted.

User Info Menu

This is a nice comparison...

User Info Menu

Yeah I watched this comparison. I would say overall they sound pretty similar in this video. I like the sound of the sl better here but as has been stated ... they are different guitars so tough to say. Great player though, looks like he is barely touching the strings.

User Info Menu

'59s are very good, I prefer Seth Lovers for jazz tones. '59s are good all around, in a semi hollow they are awesome, you can rock and play jazz easily

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    '59s are very good, I prefer Seth Lovers for jazz tones. '59s are good all around, in a semi hollow they are awesome, you can rock and play jazz easily.
    Not only in a semi hollow, they're great in a Telecaster too, but the rest of the configuration also matters. In a jazz guitar with only one pickup, I would prefer another one.