The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34
    I purchased (via ebay) a Heritage 575 arch top (lefty), single humbucker pick up (in the body of the guitar, not a floating pick up) guitar about a year ago. I'm not a great jazz player but prior people had complimented me on my touch and tone when playing acoustically. I simply can't get the guitar to sound the way I want it. For lack of a better description it's either thin on top or too heavy on the bottom and it could be described as having a unnerving midrange tone that I find fairly unmanageable. It also has (to me) a somewhat "raspy" sound, less than round, less than smooth. I have tried tube amps, 120JC, my almost 40 year old roland cube 60 sounds the best most of the time and I've even tried some 12" and 15" polytones. I've also tried a variety of strings (also to no significant avail). I currently am using flat wound 13. Thomastik.

Overall, I like the guitar for playability - and I know the holy grail of tone may never be found but......It's a solid piece carved gold arch top - it should sound good/better. Also the guitar is about 13 years old, and should be broken in at this point.

So, I've considered swapping out the electronics and pickup. Overall the cost would be less than $200. Kent Armstrong, Benedetto?

I realize this is an age old issue but I am looking for any ideas, Feedback or experience dealing with this.

Heritage H-575 Pickup Replacement-heritage-h-575-single-pickup-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Try Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers pickup.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest talking to Pete Biltoft -

Vintage Vibe Guitars

Pete Biltoft answers his own phone and will talk to you about exactly what you want. When I bought pickups from him he didn't make them till he was sure he knew exactly what I was after. And his pickups include interchangeable magnets - simple enough to take 8 or 10 seconds to change - Alnico 2, 3, 5, and ceramic 8. Huge range of tones available.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm with Sonnyboy, got with a SD Seth Lover. I'm an old fan of Heritage guitars and hung out for years on their forum. One thing I learned is a lot of owners would switch to Gibson Classic 57 or the SD Seth Lover or some other Gibson clone pickup. Most guys want a fatter sound, a WARMER sound, which the SD Seth Lover will give you. It's probably something that simple. On paper they are magnificent gutiars, I just the the Heritage pickups are a little thin sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnyboy
    Try Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers pickup.

User Info Menu

I have the Seth Lovers on my 575 also, and like them very much.

But I think you also have to ask yourself if the sound you want is actually possible with a 575. It's a 16 inch box, as you know. I think it might be hard to get a 17-inch L5 type of sound--if that's what you're hearing in your head.

I think Mimi Fox gets a great tone from her 575 (which, unlike mine, is a mahogany body--and I think a cedar or spruce top, not sure).

How do you like this tone? I bet you can get there from here with Lovers and a good setup.

User Info Menu

Biltoft Alnico II HBs have sweet highs, clear bottom, definition and moderate output. If you add TIs 014 that classic solid Woods guitar you have should produce vintage jazz tone.

User Info Menu

What pickup is in there now?

I think I'm one five people on the planet who like the Schallers some Heritages come with...the Seth Lover should get you closer to that Gibson sound, if that's what you want.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Set Lovers. I have them in my 575 and I couldn't be happier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I think I'm one five people on the planet who like the Schallers some Heritages come with...the Seth Lover should get you closer to that Gibson sound, if that's what you want.
    You are not alone Mr Beaumont !! I like the Schallers too ,they have a low-ish output which doesn't drive the amp too hard

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatislim
    So, I've considered swapping out the electronics and pickup. Overall the cost would be less than $200. Kent Armstrong, Benedetto?

Kind Regards,
    Cincinnati Slim
    As for the pickup, a Kent Armstrong humbucker (the original, not the Chinese namesake) would be a better choice than the Benedetto if you intend to fatten the tone. As others have suggested, talking to Pete Biltoft is also recommended.

However, the pickup is only one of many parameters affecting the sound:

- Which strings do you use?
    - Which pick do you use?
    - Where do you pick the string?
    - Which amp are you using?
    - Which amp settings do you use?

Of these, the pickup may be the least significant in determining the output sound.

All the best
    Oldane Fats

User Info Menu

Does the guitar sound good to your ears when played unamplified? Does it still seem unbalanced to the midrange?

I like a very acoustic sound so I'm not a huge fan of flat wounds. You might try some TI Jazz Bebops.

You could try a hard pick like a Vpick to get more overtones out of the strings for a more acoustic tone.

How close is the pickup to the strings? Sounds like it's too close.

User Info Menu

Try all the above options first.

I had a '65 Gibson Johnny Smith with the same kind of problems. It could be me, but the guitar had no warmth, acoustically or when plugged into the amp. I would turn all the treble off, mids up and just got dull but crisp sounds. It had a single floating p/up with only a volume control, no tone pot, so I was limited. I finally gave up on it and sold it. And the strings would rust when in the case. Change the strings and the new ones would rust! I was happier without it.

Today, you have many more options, but if the guitar does not suit your style, your playing technique, or your ear, you wouldn't be the first person to let one go. Part of the journey.

User Info Menu

Either I'm of the 5 or I'm the 6th person to like Schaller pickups.

My Heritage came stock with the Seths. I've owned a Heritage that had the Schaller Golden 50's and I really dug those as well. Had those been in my 575 guitar, I would have kept them.

User Info Menu

I liked the Schallers too. I swapped in Lovers, sold the Schallers, didn't need both. But the Schallers were very fine as well with a distinctive high end, to my ears. Not dogs at all, just for the record. ;-)

User Info Menu

I like Schallers too. I would love to hear a brief clip and would also like to know about your eq settings on your amp(s). Also, what bridge style bridge does it have?

User Info Menu

What pickup is in there now? I think I'm one five people on the planet who like the Schallers some Heritages come with...the Seth Lover should get you closer to that Gibson sound, if that's what you want.
    Nope, I'm with you. I never heard Schallers till I got my 575. I'd ask the same question what's in there now? And what strings? If it's too thin and heavy it may be a matter of adjusting the pup and changing strings? When I got my 575 it had baseball fat thick flatwounds and with .011" roundwounds it sings! Anyway, I liked the Schaller pups so much I bought another pair for a "Reserve" situation!

User Info Menu

For straight ahead jazz the Kent Armstrong handwound 12 pole full sized humbucker is the best sounding pickup I've heard so far. I liked the Classic 57, Ibanez Super 58 and Seth Lover in my single pickup 575 but the Kent Armstrong pickup seems to beef up the sound more than those others and gives the high end a more opaque, less transparent quality.

I used the stock Schallers for years in another 575 and they were ok but something seemed to be missing, especially with roundwound strings. Not a bad sound just thinner. I eventually replaced those Schallers with Gibson Classic 57's and I felt the tone was improved a bit.

User Info Menu

just curious about this pickup on a heritage 575. I have been looking at a few heritage guitars with these pickups. 1) are these the standard pickup for a heritage? 2) do these get a good jazz tone? 3) if not which pickups in a heritage would you recommend looking out for?thanks in advance
    Last edited by wiscart1900; 01-27-2020 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I was looking at two heritages. One has seymour duncan 59s one has seth lovers. I honestly dont know if either would be right as I like a little darker tone. I just like the size of the heritage guitars and scale length so was trying to figure out which pickup would be a little less bright

User Info Menu

They seem to be a popular all arounder, and come standard in all kinds of guitars. One came in the neck of a schecter tempest I picked up; sort of a les Paul custom thing. I didnt like it much, but that guitar is kind of a one trick pony.

Should you not like it, I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to sell it later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wiscart1900
    Thanks. I was looking at two heritages. One has seymour duncan 59s one has seth lovers. I honestly dont know if either would be right as I like a little darker tone. I just like the size of the heritage guitars and scale length so was trying to figure out which pickup would be a little less bright
    The Seth Lover has been said by some to be "dark" although I prefer the term "thick"-the tone even in the treble has some mass, not as stringy and sharp attack as others. I like the Seth Lover in my Epi Broadway a lot. Really gave that budget archtop a good voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Deaf Tony
    Scooped mids and a real clarity, to me they have that PAF sound that is very reminiscent of the Gibson PAF frequency model that many think epitomizes the "jazz sound". For sure, a good worthy pickup for that warm sound and with it, you shouldn't find any need to replace it any time soon.
    I can confirm that, the '59 Neck is a safe choice. However, there is an alternative that may deliver slightly better basses, such as the Alnico II Pro HB. Maybe he has the opportunity to compare the two, then he can still choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The Seth Lover has been said by some to be "dark" although I prefer the term "thick"-the tone even in the treble has some mass, not as stringy and sharp attack as others. I like the Seth Lover in my Epi Broadway a lot. Really gave that budget archtop a good voice.
    This pickup definitely has stronger mids, which makes the sound a bit richer, but at the higher frequencies it is also a little more present.

User Info Menu

I don't know about heritages.
    I do have 59s in a semi and an Eastman archtop. Both sound fine.
    I've had 59s in two 335 copies. Though set up with different gauge and wind strings, one was pretty bright and the other fairly dark.
    Maybe it has less to do with the pickup than it does the guitar - wood, build, etc...

User Info Menu

duncan 59's are a low (ish) wind alnico v...they are less aggressive than seths...more even toned...pickup height is important...experiment!

if you drop them into the body..you can get a pretty clean wide rhythm tone out of neck pup...with the right strings...& style

cheers