The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

These were all in sealed completely unopened packaging. I unwrapped and opened all of them as I'm going to get them matched for a 2 6v6 Deluxe style amp but I was wondering if anyone knew what this brown packaging was that was wrapped around each tube inside the boxes. A few Google internet searches yielded no results.

I was thinking some sort of decayed cloth or maybe fiberglass? I was just going to make sure it wasn't asbestos. lol

I think I would have heard about that by now but I'm the paranoid type if I'm unsure about something. Thought maybe someone here could help me out and fill me in? Pictures below the first is just the image of the box labels.
    Attached Images Attached Images Just came into possession of a bunch of NOS 6V6 tubes, have a question-2-jpg Just came into possession of a bunch of NOS 6V6 tubes, have a question-1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

send them all to me immediately!! may be very detrimental to your well being!...haha...only kidding of course...

don't see any reason why tubes would ever need to be packed in asbestos!...more likely some aged black foam...i wouldn't worry...gag gag...

hah

luck

cheers

I sent a message over to the tech with those in the picture I'm going to think of it as some sort of fabric cloth like wrap, it's like cheese cloth if it was made from denser fibers.

User Info Menu

could be a reaction with the gas inside the tube...i'd get rid of it all...dust the tubes off..and then wrap the tubes in some bubble plastic...

most tubes just came inside the carboard boxes...no padding...so...

cheers

User Info Menu

It is just a paper based padding. I find it a lot on NOS military Dodge dash gauges and speedometers among other things, it's not dangerous as far as I know. Just be glad those weren't dipped in cosmoline before they were packed as a lot of my steel parts were.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

What brand of 6V6 did you score? Can't tell from the box labels in your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    What brand of 6V6 did you score? Can't tell from the box labels in your photos.
    About 13 in Total 6V6GT:
    RCA Black/Grey Getter,
    JAN-CKR KEN-RAD Black/Grey Getter,
    Sylvania Black/Grey Getter,
    National Union Black/Grey Getter, and a bunch of other ones I can't remember currently offhand but a few other different "brands".
    The amp tech has them all and is testing for possible matching otherwise I'd list the rest. And 5 Hammond 5Y3 rectifier tubes, have two pictures I took before I met him and dropped them off.
    Attached Images Attached Images Just came into possession of a bunch of NOS 6V6 tubes, have a question-83330143_214302629602264_3678494164510572544_n-jpg Just came into possession of a bunch of NOS 6V6 tubes, have a question-83920934_180228903382245_7650251483425800192_n-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'd be interested in one of your Hammond 5Y3 Rectifier tubes if you consider selling.
    I have a Silverface Fender Vibro Champ that would love it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I'd be interested in one of your Hammond 5Y3 Rectifier tubes if you consider selling.
    I have a Silverface Fender Vibro Champ that would love it. :-)
    The amp tech was also interested in helping me out on the basis he could buy some of the tubes as well which I was fine with, I should have a spare 5Y3 I could sell you and after he tests them on his testers. That way I should also be able to give you a reading on it as well. I'll let you know!

User Info Menu

could be a reaction with the gas inside the tube
    What gas? Why do you think they're called 'vacuum tubes'?

User Info Menu

tho they've attempted to vacuum the bottle gassless.. with time, mishandling or condition op's tubes in question appear to be in, components start to give off their own gasses..the tube bases alone!!

"CAUSES of BAD GAS: (bad means , makes the tube fail as say an Amplifier or Oscillator or arcs over , makes plasma or the tube makes tons of noise from the gas)

Bad handling (physically) The tube is cracked at any location or manhandled in way that cracks the leads entry points into the vacuous envelope. (you let the air in, or the funny phrase, the vacuum leaked out )
    The owner dropped the tube. Causing the above.
    The owner over heated the tube, made the plate glow red, or any other grids inside the tube overheated by running tube over spec."

regardless, the op made a good move in having them tested and matched..am interested to see the results! keep us posted!

cheers

User Info Menu

Sell them while they're still worth good money and buy a Quilter, lol!

User Info Menu

You hit three cherries on the slots. Nice batch of tubes. 6V6GT tubes are just gold, at this point. They were made for use in car radios, originally, but they are the best amp power tubes I have ever used/heard/seen.

Enjoy. Oh, don't worry about the wrapping.

User Info Menu

Problem is no matter how good they are there so few gigs and studio sessions to use them where it doesn't even matter any more sadly!

User Info Menu

Sadly true. But, I gig regularly with my 5e3 Deluxe. Uses two 6v6 tubes and sounds outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Sell them while they're still worth good money and buy a Quilter, lol!
    That's funny actually! I own a Quilter ToneBlock 202 and I really enjoy it. Sounds great through the used Avatar G212 Traditional cab w/ Celestion V30 and G12H 30 I just got as well. I may replace the speakers somewhere down the line but it sounds good currently for my home volume use. I got these these 6V6's for two D-Lab tube amps I had Terry make me and he is largely retired now. A really cool old military tube guy who built amps using old tube radios and Hammond's etc. They hold a lot of sentimental value for me! I use to be a police and fire radio dispatcher and he used an old police tube radio for the Champ style amp I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images Just came into possession of a bunch of NOS 6V6 tubes, have a question-83908495_177961393303032_7775154410908286976_n-jpg 

User Info Menu

nice! very cool lookin amp build!!! hope those 6v6s work out!!

enjoy

cheers

The amp tech was able to give me 4 matched pairs a total of 8 out of the original 13 6V6GT's. 3 he advised were very microphonic(I still got to keep them as I like having them around anyways) and he was even able to match the pairs of 6V6's to the current Deluxe style amp I have as far as its bias for those tubes. I worked out a deal were he got 3 single 6V6's. All the Hammond 5Y3's were good so that's nice, sold one to Gitfiddler hoping it arrived alright today. Packed it pretty well!