The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I was taken by the beauty of this little guitar and bought it with the expectation that it would need to be customized to suit me just right.
    It is made with woods uncommon in the manufacture of guitars; this set me up with high hopes.

After some modifications (rewired neck p/u, black p/u rings) to enhance its appearance, I asked my luthier friend to set it up with very soft action, etcetera.
    The results of all this is disappointment. Setting intonation is not resulting in a consistent effect, and that is a major problem.

Given the unusual woods being used and designing it with a one piece neck may be causing the problem that likely won't go away. If a little more
    work doesn't fix the problem, I'll probably give it to a student as a first jazzer.

Ibanez AG75-ibanez-ag75g-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not a wood-guy myself. but according to the various wood databases Nyatoh for the neck should not be mechanically inferior to e.g. mahogany or maple. I have the older version and I had it replaced due to something being a bit off in the neck angle, resulting in the bridge needed to be adjusted very high for reasonable string height. The second was better and I kept it. hadn't it been better I might have kept it anyway and used it with a higher bridge. Good string height and intonation are quite easy to obtain so I would guess it should also be so on the new model.
    Check for twist in the neck or badly angled neck. If apparent try to discuss it with the shop where you got the guitar and see if they can help.

User Info Menu

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to offer your suggestion.

This is what makes a dedicated forum like JG so important.

RV

User Info Menu

I've solved the intonation problem with this guitar. Part of the problem was the flatwounds I was using (English made).

Along the way I've learned a lot about intonation. For example, not all guitars can be perfectly intonated. Did you know that?

At any rate, this little guitar is more comfortable and satisfactory in performance. It's not my favorite---by a long shot---but it'll do.

Ron
    CT

User Info Menu

Sort of disappointing that your luthier wasn't able to check that. Anyways - good you got the guitar likeable.

User Info Menu

There is one from '04 for sale locally. The dimensions are very appealing which is the main attraction.

I'm feeling a little hesitant though with artcores. The af75 I had was disappointing, pretty bad acoustically and even the higher end lgb30 and af105 I tried were just ok. Of course hard to know without playing it first. What are your opinions?
    Last edited by arielcee; 03-30-2020 at 04:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought one new about 2005. The store had a long row of jazz boxes and I played all of them. The thing that attracted me to the AG75 was its tone. Compared to the others, even the more expensive others, it had a deeper tone with a stronger "thump" than the rest.

I put large flatwounds on it and liked it even better. About six months later I replaced the metal bridge of adjustable saddles with an all wood bridge where the top part is one piece, and I liked that a lot.

The quality, fit, and finish was outstanding from the start and has held up perfectly, a very well made guitar. So nice that early on I got a hard shell case (a classical guitar case, fits perfectly).

Here is an informative review, includes a playing video that reflects accurately the sound and tone I hear in mine.

https://oldtimemusic.com/ibanez-ag75bs/

User Info Menu

These guitars are not meant to be judged by their acoustic merits. It's not the unamplified tone but rather the vibe or liveliness in your lap that separates inexpensive laminate guitars from each other. There's some degree of opening up once some playing time has been logged in. Plus, you get used to whatever you have chosen to go with. What appears as a mountain at the point of decision reduces to a molehill at best once the dust settles. And, you can always upgrade the electronics.

User Info Menu

I would personally buy that guitar. I already have an AG-95, which has the same body silhouette with a different tailpiece and D'Aquisto-ish sound holes. The physical layout of the instrument is a dream - it's compact and comfortable, has enough acoustic output to practice un-plugged, and lovely amplified tones. Also, a very fine neck. Pro tip: the ACH pickups sound best with a bit of distance from the strings. I start with mine about level with the mounting rings, and gently raise them to find the sweet spots.
    BTW, that Deco tailpiece is one of the top 5 great designs, in my book.

User Info Menu

'Nuff said

User Info Menu

Jake here does pretty good with one too

Wouldn't mind trying one myself sometime
    see if it's comfortable sitting with it etc
    I'm 6' 1". So maybe not
    I play an AF which fits me ok
    Ibanez are pretty consistently good IME
    or easily fixed up if you need to adjust or change something

let us know how it goes

User Info Menu

Well. You might not have liked the acoustic tone of the AF. That does not tell a lot about what you do like. I have an AG75 and for sure it is a very comfortable size guitar to play. A bit heavier strings than what it came with improves sound - especially the treble strings. It gives me what I wanted in sound and playability - and for a very reasonable price. I can't judge it against other hollow bodies because it is my only. Acoustically it is just a faint fart compared to my full bodied flat tops - but they don't compete with each other
    There is only one way too find out if you like it ...

User Info Menu

There is something about this guitar. I had a good deal of difficulty getting it "just right" when I first got it, but changes have taken place. To cut to the chase: the neck seems to have settled in and remains constant from session to session. I have used a lighter gauge string in the bottom three strings, and heavier gage G - top E. The results are impressive. Also, I raised the neck p/u and get a much warmer and louder sound.

I am going to keep this guitar.

Lesson learned: Patience pays off.

Another lesson: Make adjustments and fine tunings with the guitar on your lap.

Ronny V
    CT