The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Well you knew they had to do this. Fender announces their latest hand wired '64 Princeton Reverb combo amp.

Only...$2,299.99

(Don't bother listening to their ear bleed-inducing video)

Features:
    • Hand-wired AA764 circuit with tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo
    • Fender Vintage Blue tone capacitors
    • 10” Jensen® alnico P10R speaker for sparkling clean tones and moderate
    breakup
    • Solid pine cabinet for resonance and lighter weight
    • Extra-heavy textured vinyl covering and lightly aged silver grille cloth
    • Footswitch and amp cover included

'''64 Custom Princeton Reverb(R) | Guitar Amplifiers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found a 1967 Fender price list online (presumably the prices weren't that different in 1964.)

In 1967, a Princeton Reverb had a list price of $174.50 (foot switch and cover not included). That's $1,335.69 in 2019 dollars.

This reissue does throw in the foot switch and cover, so I can see why it costs a little extra.

User Info Menu

What does 'hand wired' mean? Do robots wire and assemble the other amps now?

NEW!  '64 Fender Custom Princeton Reverb-fender-amps-assembly-jpg

User Info Menu

Typically it means no pcb.

User Info Menu

Fender did not put the Fender badge on their amps in 1964. I own an original 1964 Princeton (non-reverb). I certainly understand the use of an alnico speaker (I put a JBL D-110 in mine), but the originals came, IIRC, with a ceramic speaker.

It seems to me that if a company is going to do a reissue, they should at least try to get the details right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr

Looks chilly in that factory. They can't afford heat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Looks chilly in that factory. They can't afford heat?
    If the amp was handwired the soldering irons would keep them warm ......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr

There was a series on Canadian TV a few years ago called something like "How They Make Things." It featured short documentary vids on how industry makes everything from biscuits to amps. They had a vid of the Traynor factory building tube amps. People insert all the components in a PCB and then they wave solder the whole board. No soldering irons.

User Info Menu

Given where the price of original BF PR's is, $2200 seems almost reasonable at first blush. But for way less than that you can get a kick-ass silverface PR (and stick a BF panel on it if you must), or one of many different boutique-builder clones. And of course, the PVB '65 "reissue" great. I don't really see the point, but I guess there's always a market for true-to-the-original reissues actually produced by Fender (and Gibson), for reasons that aren't really related to either performance or value.

John

User Info Menu

Even though I started this thread as an FYI of a new, high quality amp from Fender, I must say that the BEST sounding Princeton amp I've ever played is a Princeton (non-reverb). Try one and you will understand.

User Info Menu

I am glad Fender is covering every buyer with its amp lines. They have the hand-wired classics like this princeton and the 64 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Then they have the Re-Issues we all are familiar with, and now the Tone Masters. These amps all appeal to their own particular kind of buyer. I'd love to have one hand-wired Fender classic but of modern manufacture. I likely won't, though, unless I inherit one or one falls off the truck near my home...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'd love to have one hand-wired Fender classic but likely won't, unless ... one falls off the truck near my home...
    It'd have to be a Peavey then if you want it to work after the fall. (Just kiddin'...Love my Fender amp!)

User Info Menu

I find it extremely tempting to sell all my amps and get this one. I've been borrowing various Fender amps lately. Tweed amps and blackfaces.
    Princeton is by far my favorite. It a reissue model. I'm surprised how much I like it compared to other amps I compared it with (Tweed deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Champ). I used to own a limited edition Princeton with a 12 inch speaker. It was alright but I preferred DRRI to it and traded it with one.
    However there is something special about the regular (10 inch) Princeton's IMO. Their response is soft and immediate. That gives them a very sweet and intimate feel. I really didn't expect liking it that much. DRRI I have is a very good amp too. It has a more compressed sound which I like. A little bigger and more distant sound though if that makes any sense. Great amp.
    Tweeds are good but they have a very particular tweed color to their sound. I don't always dig that sound. They also have a very non-linear response throughout their dynamic range which is great for rock and such.
    Overall Princeton is my favorite amp right now and reissues sound great. Is it worth paying more than double of reissues for this handwired model? I'd certainly prefer this new handwired one over any vintage originals assuming they sound more or less the same.

User Info Menu

I can't answer with any authority on your question Tal, but I will say that my old PR that has been modded up and then back down is just a heart-warmer as well as an ear-warmer. I'd have to say "just about perfect". Tonewise, it'll melt your heart, and it is loud. So it is giggable which only makes it better because I can share the goods at our gigs. Every guitar sounds great in it.
    We play an open mike blues jam every Saturday. Many other guitarists step up and play through it.
    Always good tone. Doesn't break up early but has a soft feel, so it plays really well.

Princetons have to be the perfect amp (when you get a good one). Great tubes, the right speaker, a MID control, plus good transformers all help.

User Info Menu

A pal of mine has an original of about that vintage. It was in my possession for a while - we swapped amps a good deal before he headed west - and it was a beauty! He played my SF Princeton Reverb and I the BF for about 6 months and then one day I get the call he wants the BF back and long story short, no amount of mere money I could offer was persuasive, so what ya gonna do? Needless to say, I missed the li'l black beauty, but I got the PR-R back, and what's better than a Princeton?

Last I heard he's putting a Celestion in it. Why not!

If I had the jing-a-ling, I'd get one of these.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-19-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: gee

User Info Menu

...I'd love to have one hand-wired Fender classic but of modern manufacture. I likely won't, though, unless I inherit one or one falls off the truck near my home...
    Happy to help you out with this. Send me $1,200 + shipping and I'll arrange everything for you.
    Here:
    Fender BF Princeton Reverb clone w/12" & 35 watts of power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Happy to help you out with this. Send me $1,200 + shipping and I'll arrange everything for you.
    Here:
    Fender BF Princeton Reverb clone w/12" & 35 watts of power
    Unfornately at the moment I'm about $1150 short... but that really does look like a sensational amp. All someone would need.

And I doubt I have anything you'd want to trade for.

User Info Menu

Unfornately at the moment I'm about $1150 short... but that really does look like a sensational amp. All someone would need. And I doubt I have anything you'd want to trade for.
    I've noticed various archtops that might be interesting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I've noticed various archtops that might be interesting...
    What did you have in mind? I have a couple I'd consider putting into play. I like the look of this amp you're selling.

Just received my 64 PR handwired.
    Ordered in October and after almost 6 months patience finaly in my hands and ears..
    A great compagnon to my 1994 Yamaha AE1200 SIII and my 1995 tele. Happy I am.
    Last edited by lespaulatwork; 04-25-2021 at 11:30 AM.